Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ls2/lq4 build question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls2/lq4 build question

Hey there! I am not sure if this is where this thread belongs or not. So I'll leave it there (mod please move it if it doesn't go here).

As of now the 4 bolt main 350 using a NOS plate (150 shot) the Chevelle made 418 to the wheels.

Any I am on the quest to build a 650+ whp ls2/lq4 for my '72 Chevelle, on nitrous. I am not totally sure where to begin, am I going to have to go with a built bottom end or not? Also are the stock heads going to be able to flow enough to produce my goal? I would like to run a carb intake manifold with a port shot.

Any advise on where to start would be great! And there will be more question as I move along this project.

Thanks,
Bobby
Old 03-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Your crank will be fine but new pistons are highly recommended and I'd look into rods, witch heads do you have? You might be able to get them cnc'd.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:36 PM

You might wanna look into getting a set of LS3 heads. I believe you will it your hp goal a lot easier.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bottlefedbaby
Your crank will be fine but new pistons are highly recommended and I'd look into rods, witch heads do you have? You might be able to get them cnc'd.
No heads as of yet, just a bare block... I have a lot of parts to get a hold of. If I have read correctly the ls3 heads will bolt up but the pistons need to have valve reliefs in them... Are there and suggestions as far as cams go?

I should have said earlier this car will be a weekend warrior with an automatic trans.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I would first figure out what your budget is, I'm already 9k into a roots blown 408 build and I figure I'm still going to put another 3k into it not including the cost of the electronics to run it.
The stock crank seems to be pretty stout with many people pushing them to 1,000hp but they are pushing the limit at that point. 700hp should be safe with a conservative tune. Best bang for the buck seems to be CNC LS3 heads. They out flow most ported stock cathedral heads.
At that power level you're going to need forged rods/pistons.
For cam I would give PatG, Tick or Ed Curtis at FTI and have them spec you a cam.
Keep in mind at that power level you're going to have to beef up the rest of the driveline.

Quick Reply: Ls2/lq4 build question