Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 Valve Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 Valve Help

I am selecting parts to build an engine to put in a 67 Camaro that I am restoring. I am building an LS7 but an shooting to add a lot of horsepower. I am going with stock LS7 heads with some small changes. One of them is the valves. I'm just trying to find something that will be able to handle the extra power and workload. I have been reading a lot about the different aspects of building the engine but havnt found much on the valves. So I have a couple of questions.

1) The stock valves are an titanium intake, and a sodium filled (whatever that means) exhaust. Why is the exhaust different?

2) What I have been reading is saying to upgrade to stainless steel valves. I have found some intake valves like that but I have had no luck finding exhaust's as stainless steel. Does anyone have recommendations of shops that sell sets of stainless steel valves for the LS7?

I want to get them from the same place, and will probably pick up the springs and other like parts from the same shop.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Suggestion is to contact someone like frankestine racing heads.

I would not take the ti intake out just have them checked for wear and coated. The exhaust go in inconel

Tim
Old 03-30-2014, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
Suggestion is to contact someone like frankestine racing heads.

I would not take the ti intake out just have them checked for wear and coated. The exhaust go in inconel

Tim
You want to keep the intakes at all cost. They're high quality, high cost valves, that add durability and HP. Frankenstein and WCCH both take out the valves, check them, and re coat or tumble polish the intakes.

As for the exhaust many folks are switching the inconel exhaust valve out for a 1 piece stainless steel valve. The inconel's have been proven to break, and this is why people are changing over to SS valves. I'm not sure what your budget is, but if you're not scarred, and want serious high quality heads, talk to Victory and/or Del West about their 1 piece titanium exhaust valves. Katech has them as an option to buy, and they look really cool. Issue is, you'll be dropping something between $800-$1200 on 8 exhaust valves! You'll have the baddest LS7 heads around, but they'll be pricey!
Old 03-30-2014, 09:50 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagle_23

1) The stock valves are an titanium intake, and a sodium filled (whatever that means) exhaust. Why is the exhaust different?

2) What I have been reading is saying to upgrade to stainless steel valves. I have found some intake valves like that but I have had no luck finding exhaust's as stainless steel. Does anyone have recommendations of shops that sell sets of stainless steel valves for the LS7?

I want to get them from the same place, and will probably pick up the springs and other like parts from the same shop.

Thanks.
1) The sodium filled exhaust valves are meant to dissipate heat better than a solid stem valve. The sodium liquifies at higher temps, absorbs heat from the valve head as the valve reaches peak lift and then shifts up to towards the top of the valve to dissipate the heat into the guide when it closes.

2) Manley and Ferrea both make solid stem stainless steel LS7 exhaust valves. I used to use the Manley valves in the LS7 heads with bronze guides and never had any issues after that.

I'm pretty sure any of the sponsors of this board (Tick/Brian Tooley/COSpeed) can get you set up with any and everything you'll need.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Solid or Hollow SS valves for exhaust side is all you need. Inconel for turbo or really high boost applications.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:17 AM

Thanks for the info. Another question I am now having is should I even be trying to change the valves. I'm keeping the stock heads. But will probably be changing the valves, springs, ect.

I don't know a lot about the subject, and I am seeing a lot of different info.

Titanium is lighter and supposed to handle heat dissipation better, but stainless is supposed to be more durable under stress.

I am shooting for 700hp NA minimum.

Are the valves something I should change?
Old 04-13-2014, 08:32 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Titanium is light, but it actually has poor heat dissipation properties. Titanium is often paired with Copper Beryllium seats, which are highly effective at dissipating heat and will help pull the heat from the titanium valve. I'm not 100% sure, but I think GM uses a combination of copper infused iron alloys in the intake seats and the Chrome Nitride coating to use the titanium valves in the LS7. The only reason I would change the intake valves is to get rid of the lash caps.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Bronze guides and Ferrea hollow stems exhaust for the ls7!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:14 PM

Keep the stock titanium intake valves, it's a big valve, you want it as light as possible. There is several companies that make stainless exh valves. 11688 is the part number for Manley's severe duty exh valve. You should consider Inconel if you're going to spray a **** load of nitrous, or run boost via turbo because of the heat.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:09 PM

Correction, 11679 is the correct part number for the exh. valve

Quick Reply: LS7 Valve Help