Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Sudden Oil pressure lose, want to confirm what I found

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden Oil pressure lose, want to confirm what I found

We had a fresh built ls2 based 402 that had about 300 miles on it. Had great oil pressure, 45psi at hot idle, 60psi cruise.

We were doing WOT tuning and immediately after noticed the pressure was down to 15psi hot idle, so knew something wasn't right. Car didn't make any sounds. Unfortunately, the owner drove the car home.

First thing I checked was the pickup tube O ring. That looked fine, but put a new one in, and no change.

Last night we pulled the engine, and noticed the barbell has dislodged itself. It was a brand new one with the build, so not sure how it came lose, but guessing that was our pressure loss?

Me being a touch OCD, decided to keep tearing into the engine, and noticed that the time the engine ran with reduced pressure must have hurt us. The rod bearings all appear to be wiped out. I pulled the mains and they look ok, but going to have the machine shop double check anyway.

So my theory at this point is,

WOT oil pressure somehow knocked barbell lose
Reduced pressure caused lack of proper oil to the rod bearings which ended up killing them

Thoughts?
Old 04-16-2014, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pressure didn't move the barbell.

What pump and pan?
How far off the pan is the pickup?
What oil and how much?

Tim
Old 04-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
Pressure didn't move the barbell.

What pump and pan?
How far off the pan is the pickup?
What oil and how much?

Tim
Stock 4th gen pan
tsp ported pump
5.5 qts of penz platinum 5w30
not sure how far pan was from pickup. Was stock pickup in stock pan
Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Pickup location in those pans sucks. The pickup needs to be 1/4 to 3/8 max

The pickup is in the center of the pan oil is running away from it under acceleration.

I would want more oil pump with some mods to the pickup tube and inlet.

I use Schumann pumps from car shop inc

Tim
Old 04-16-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by camarochevy1970
We had a fresh built ls2 based 402 that had about 300 miles on it. Had great oil pressure, 45psi at hot idle, 60psi cruise.

We were doing WOT tuning and immediately after noticed the pressure was down to 15psi hot idle, so knew something wasn't right. Car didn't make any sounds. Unfortunately, the owner drove the car home.

First thing I checked was the pickup tube O ring. That looked fine, but put a new one in, and no change.

Last night we pulled the engine, and noticed the barbell has dislodged itself. It was a brand new one with the build, so not sure how it came lose, but guessing that was our pressure loss?

Me being a touch OCD, decided to keep tearing into the engine, and noticed that the time the engine ran with reduced pressure must have hurt us. The rod bearings all appear to be wiped out. I pulled the mains and they look ok, but going to have the machine shop double check anyway.

So my theory at this point is,

WOT oil pressure somehow knocked barbell lose
Reduced pressure caused lack of proper oil to the rod bearings which ended up killing them

Thoughts?
Exactly how did you come to this determination? The barbell has nowhere to go with the rear cover in place. It may have < 1/8" of play, but unless it somehow shoots itself through the rear cover, it ain't goin' far enough to cause a pressure loss as Gray said...
Old 04-16-2014, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Exactly how did you come to this determination? The barbell has nowhere to go with the rear cover in place. It may have < 1/8" of play, but unless it somehow shoots itself through the rear cover, it ain't goin' far enough to cause a pressure loss as Gray said...
I had found another thread on here where that 1/8" movement caused someone else the same pressure loss
Old 04-17-2014, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Unless the o ring is exposed it will not leak.
I have seen my engine make 150 psi when cold and not had issues.

The o ring is not the cause

Tim

Quick Reply: Sudden Oil pressure lose, want to confirm what I found