Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I finally ordered it RHS block

RHS standard deck block.
4.165 bore
Going to use a ProCharger on it
Several things that are bugging me though.

Part of me wants to put a 4.125 crank in it, but the other side of me says 4.600. I think that the 4.600 is going to be too much. I don't want to rev it above 6500, that's why I was thinking about the 4.600. If I was going to rev it higher, I was thinking more along the lines of the 4.125.

It will have Mast heads, Diamond pistons, Jesel lifters and rockers, Lunati crank, and am trying to find a good set up for a external wet sump pump for the drivers side.
I'm putting this in my '06 GTO and then it will be a weekend cruiser.
What are some of your suggestions?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What head unit? 4.125 IMO
Old 04-19-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're putting on the blower then you should use a 4.00 stroke. I don't think that you can fit a 4.600 stroke in the standard deck height. You need room for rings in the pistons . I wouldn't worry about the rpms at all.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah the 4.6 inch arm will not fit in the standard deck height block. Even though the allure of a 4.125 stroke (450 cube) engine seems awesome, I'd only go that route if staying NA. Since you have an air ramming device (blower); the pulleys will basically tell the engine how big it's gonna act. in other words; the pistons have to suck nothing, and the compression ratio will end up being as high as your octane will safely allow.
Roughly 60% of an engines reciprocating friction is the piston rings....long stroke cranks dramatically increase piston speed per a given rpm.
IIWY I'd either go 4.165 bore and 3.27 stroke(4.8 crank) for a 356 incher or at most a (4.165"X3.622") combo for 395 inches. Not only will these set-ups have much better rod to stroke ratios, but the pistons will be taller. The taller pistons while slightly heavier will be more stable in the bore. This means less ring flutter which both seals compression and reduces oil contamination which can lead to detonation on a boosted app.
Not trying to talk you out of anything..just tying to offer logical facts that could offer a bit more longevity over a max power combo. Depending on your blower size and boost, you could easily make between 800-1000 rw with either of these smaller engines. Plenty for a weekend warrior !!!!
Old 04-20-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You might want to cancel your order. There are guys only pushing 1200 hp out of the RHS blocks and cracking them. One guy has sent his block back to Comp to get an analysis done on it. You might want to wait to find out what thwey come up with. It's not just a few of them either. Its a bunch who are pushing a good bit of HP thru them.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
You might want to cancel your order. There are guys only pushing 1200 hp out of the RHS blocks and cracking them. One guy has sent his block back to Comp to get an analysis done on it. You might want to wait to find out what thwey come up with. It's not just a few of them either. Its a bunch who are pushing a good bit of HP thru them.
Those were the older blocks that had problems so I was told by another person. The new blocks have been changed to fix that problem. I was going to go with the LS Next block but didn't like the spacer and oil pan set up. I've heard a lot of good things with the RHS block and will be going ahead with it.

Thanks for all of the help, Looks like a 4.00 crank is the way to go.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

So I take it that you read the thread on yellowbullet? New block or old, Comp hasn't changed anything to the block because they say there is no issue yet you have 3 blocks that all cracked in the same place. I'm waiting to see how this pans out with comp before I put my money on one.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

Well I'm not going to be putting 2000hp to it so I'm not that worried about it if that is a problem. I wanted an aluminum with raised cam and some other things that I liked what the RHS had to offer. Plus, with the people who were apparently breaking them, how was their tune? Sometimes, you can have an all out engine and any of them will break at some point. Just because some others have had cracks doesn't mean that they are a bad block, we need to know more that someone saying all of them are junk. What is the true root cause of the block cracking. Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean we are getting the whole truth either. Unless I personally talk to the person or see it myself I don't believe much any more. Lots of quarterback talkers on the net. I'm not saying that they guys who had this happen are lying, just need to know the facts.

Apparently, it showed up at the shop yesterday. I'll have to go get it tomorrow when I have more time after work.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

I didn't say 2000 hp, less than that has done damage. Trust me it wasn't the tune. It's your money so you can do what you want. I was just trying to save you some headache and heartache down the line. Here you go.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=802978
Old 05-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love your choice in the block. I got the tall deck LSX and so yesterday I talked 2 WJ aka Warren Johnson about the block.He stated that GM just F@/KED off the block because he gave them GM the specs 2 make the casting and as a result 500 ci is really off the radar 4 that block 479ci is the most i will be asking 4.As i write this im going 2 call my buddy @ GM he is the head honcho of the LSX HEAD design to see why or will they ever fix some of the flaws in the tall deck block... good choice but $4400 i ain't rich although Brad@ Compcams could get me the block 4 $3900.

Quick Reply: I finally ordered it RHS block