Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

clanking after intake swap?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clanking after intake swap?!?!?

I have a 2000 ws6. I did an ls6 intake swap. After the install it started right up no problem. Then i heard a clanking noise like something metal was bouncing around in the heads. I am almost positive i did not drop anything metal into it. The was alot of debris from getting the old intake off that probably fell in.. maybe even a nut shell from a squirrel SMH... i never set any tools Down near the engine. I dont have full power on accelerarion. My check engine light is on and when i gave it gas in 3rd gear the check engine light started blinking. I followed the ls1howto guide to do the swap and followed the bolt tightening pattern. Just don't know what it could be without pulling everything apart again..
Old 06-13-2014, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Take out all four spark plugs on the side with the noise and check if any plug have damage, if any damage on a plug is evident take out that side head inspect fix damage replace head, good luck....
Old 06-13-2014, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

Well if something went through the engine, I would immediately pull the plugs and look for a damaged electrode or ground strap. If there was a nut or something metallic floating around in there, it probably came in contact with a spark plug at some point in time. If you find something, at least you know where the bad news is.

Edit: Ackk. I missed the reply above me somehow.

Last edited by 96 Comp T/A; 06-13-2014 at 11:42 PM. Reason: noticed correct response above.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Ok. So after reinspecting the first install there were two injector sensors that were not pushed in all the way that would explain the loss in power and the check engine light. (Dumba@$$ rookie mistake...) Would that cause rattling and engine noise as well?
Old 06-14-2014, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

If it doesn't smoke and the engine has returned to full power you are probably alright. If you are really concerned that something went through the engine, a compression test or leakdown is probably in order. The #'s aren't super important, just that all the cylinders are relatively close to each other in reading. The rattling could be anything, if the engine was 2 holes down, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some strange sounds coming out of it.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96 Comp T/A
If it doesn't smoke and the engine has returned to full power you are probably alright. If you are really concerned that something went through the engine, a compression test or leakdown is probably in order. The #'s aren't super important, just that all the cylinders are relatively close to each other in reading. The rattling could be anything, if the engine was 2 holes down, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some strange sounds coming out of it.

Bought new gaskets, cleaned up everything spotless, was extra cautious with everything and now everything is back to normal. Gained full power back, from what i can tell. I'll have to dyno it to make sure. It was a good live and learn lesson i guess lol. Won't be taking any cheap short cuts in the future lol

Quick Reply: clanking after intake swap?!?!?