Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Lingenfelter Engine Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lingenfelter Engine Reliability?

I'm currently in the market for a 2004-2007 CTS-V. Since I'm planning on daily driving it, one of my main goals is maintaining reliability. I was planning on purchasing a fairly stock CTS-V, installing a maggie supercharger and supporting mods for around 450-500rwhp, and calling it a day.

I've come across what so far seems to be a clean, low mileage, one-owner car with a Lingenfelter-built engine. Here's what I've been told about it so far.

New custom built engine from Lingenfelter 550 package;
7.0L aluminum block
JE 2618 alloy forged pistons
Callies 4340 forged steel crankshaft - 4.00" stroke
Oliver I beam connecting rods
Computer balanced rotating ***.
Lingenfelter CNC port & polished Ls6 heads
SS intake & exhaust valves
Titanium retainers, three angle valve job
Lingenfelter Competition Cam
High volume oil pump & Oil cooler
Borla Exhaust & Kooks Long tube headers
Lingenfelter Air intake system w/ ported Throttle body 90mm
ATI under drive pulley
Motor has 10K Miles, this car IS Garage kept nonsmoker, and well maintained. I am sure there is more, just the basics of it all here. Car dynoed 550/560tq
A couple red flags, I can't find anything about the LPE 550 package, and I know they rate their packages at BHP (so it wouldn't dyno at 550). This info was second hand though, waiting on clarification from the owner. I think it might actually be the 530 package found here: https://www.lingenfelter.com/engine-...530-hp-package

Side question, why would someone have their engine built like this as opposed to going with a TVS1900 or some other FI, for more power at a cheaper cost? Preference?

The price of this car is around $4,000 more than what clean CTS-V's go for, so it seems like a great deal. My concern is whether or not reliability will be anything close to a somewhat modified GM LS6/LS2.

Anyone have any input?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like a solid reliable package that is built for great average power because hp peaks at 6000. I just don't understand why they wouldn't opt to put a better head on the car other than more profit. Reliability should be great with this setup if it was taken care of.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

You have to keep in mind that when these packages were designed 10 years ago there was no such thing as an LS3 cylinder head and the LS7's were just starting production.

The other thing that you have to keep in mind is the biggest supercharger that Magnuson had at that time was a small MP112 that made around 500hp.

As far as reliability goes, the list of internals are top notch so as long as it was taken care of there shouldn't be an issue.

OP if you have the VIN of the vehicle pm it to me and I would be glad to look up the build for you.

Thanks,
Ryan

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter Engine Reliability?