Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

General question: Disassembled engine storage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default General question: Disassembled engine storage?

Hey guys, kinda of a random question not sure where to post.
I took my LS2 all apart, and got a bunch of machine work done on it (hone, deck, crank polish, cam bearings, ect.

All of the components are unassembled. Is there any ideal way to store this stuff before I can assemble it? Circumstances changed and I wont be home for possibly 8 months, and im wondering what the best way to protect it from the elements is?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I did was spray everything down with a really good coat of wd-40 and wrapped everything in garbage bags, and set it in the garage...sat for a few months at a time and I never had a problem...but if you can keep them in a climate controlled room, i.e. a spare room in the house/apt. then that is your best bet, along with the wd-40 and trash bags...
Old 08-20-2014, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

I stored my parts in a sealed plastic bag after spraying them with lots of WD40...you want to keep moisture out.

Make sure you store the crankshaft properly.

Last edited by RQSGTO; 08-20-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I'd use WD40. It's pretty thin and light.

For max protection I would use something thick, sticky, and heavy. Get a little bit of "way oil" and brush that directly onto the parts. Way oil is used by machinists to keep machine parts lubed. It is super sticky and will stay where you put it. If you know any machinists they might help you out with that. You'll only need a little.

Alternatively, get a bottle of that thick BG engine oil treatment (or similar thick treatment) and mix it with a little motor oil- maybe half a quart. Then, brush that mixture onto the parts. It should be nice and thick and stick to the parts pretty well.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless it is in a really wet, humid, environment and you don't have any plastic bags, you will be fine with wd-40....
Old 08-21-2014, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RQSGTO
I stored my parts in a sealed plastic bag after spraying them with lots of WD40...you want to keep moisture out.

Make sure you store the crankshaft properly.
I have the original box the crankshaft was shipped in, which way is the correct way to store it?
Old 08-21-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd spray it down with wd-40, put it back in the original box and put it in a room or closet that has A/C

Quick Reply: General question: Disassembled engine storage?