Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Help.. Water coming from head studs..

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help.. Water coming from head studs..

Motor is a 418" 13-1 with ARP head studs and PRC 237 heads.

Last time at the track (roughly 1 year ago) I lifted a head on the bottle. Come to find out my TQ wrench was off and heads were only down at 60lbs.

I pulled the heads, had them surface, put fresh cometic gaskets in TQed to 80lbs. Put the motor in and fired it for 15 minutes just to let it get warm so I could recheck fluids.

Radiator was down 2" the next day and the oil was a milk shake.

Pressure tested the cooling system and it was not holding pressure.

Pulled the heads and you could see clean water on the #4 lifters.

Checked to make sure the block deck was square with a 24" snap on straight edge. Running the straight edge on a diagnal from top of 2 to bottom of 8, it is less than .002" out between the center of the bores (2 to 4 and 4 to 6) but nothing between the lifter to bore area. Front to back is dead on at the bottom of the block, at the bottom of the lifter boxes and at the top of the lifter boxes. It is the same situation with the drivers side but less than .003" between cyl's (1 to 3 and 3 to 5)

Heads were dead on.

Put it back together with new cometic gaskets, hooked the radiator up before installing it in the truck, filled the radiator and pressure tested it again.

The water is weeping from the passenger side inner 3 studs (inside the rocker area between 2 to 4 and 4 to 6).

I pulled those studs and blew the holes out, put thread sealer on the studs and screwed them back in and re-torqued the heads.

Water is still weeping from those inner 3 studs, passenger side only.

I have that head off for my machine shop to look it over but I don't see anything wrong with the head.

I am at a loss and could use some thoughts.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrong subforum, you might get better results on the gen 4 subforums. But since I am here, the head bolt holes are blind, so if water is seeping from them, you've got big problems. I would take it all the way apart and give it a real thorough going through.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Prc 237 head was pressure tested this morning and is cracked at the bolt holes to water jacket. Sounds like I need to buy a new one which sucks for me.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

At least it wasn't a cracked block.

Quick Reply: Help.. Water coming from head studs..