Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

forged shortblock question upgrade sugestions

Old 09-30-2014, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default forged shortblock question upgrade sugestions

First off i want to apologize for such a long post. Im hoping the more detail i provide the better answers and suggestions i will get. Also if this should be in the forced induction section feel free to move the thread

My current set up is a 2008 LS3 A6 my bottom end and transmission are completely stock.

Mods are standard A&A V3si trim on a 3.8 pulley
texas speed PRC 6 bolt aftermarket casting LS3 250cc heads
225/230 114 cam, LG superpro headers and LG GT4 exhaust.

For 2 years now the car has made 660rwhp and 588rwtq and i have driven the car pretty hard. Making about 30 passes down the strip and over 100 freeway pulls and the car has worked flawlessly.

I just finally switched to E85 by adding a fore fuel system with twin aem pumps which work great. The car now makes 711rwhp and 629rwtq. I have been on this set up for about a month and after a night of hard driving the car started to run way hotter then normal and started spitting coolent out of the overflow on the side of the tank. The shop that has done all the work to my car looked at it and told me, it has both small leaks around both the front and rear main seals, and probably needs new head gaskets, or is slightly starting to lift the head. They are thinking the bump in power may have found the week point and is now accelerating problems that have started a while ago.

Instead of paying the $2000 labor costs to fix these problems a month after spending $3500 on purchase and installation of a new fuel system i am considering buying a shortblock.

My main goal is i want a street car, that makes around 800rwhp and will live a very long life. I have no intention of turning power up beyond that. I would reuse my same heads and cam because they work great with the blower. I would do an 8rib upgrade and upgrade the blower to a T trim. I am really leaning staying with stock cubes.

I am leaning toward the ERL shortblock that is $3650 plus core.

Does anyone have any other good short block suggestions, or opinions in general.

Also does it matter that i would be using 6bolt heads on a 4bolt block?

Sorry again for the long winded post. Thanks for any and all help and opinions.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want the bare minimum the erl short block is tough you can you can use the 6 bolt head on the 4 bolt block just believe you use the 4 bolt gaskets erl can confirm, being you have 6 bolt heads already why not just pony up for the 6 bolt block conversion? meet your goals and have a slightly bigger engine
Old 03-14-2015, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ ERL 6-bolt short block, just like he said. It's more than capable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: forged shortblock question upgrade sugestions