Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need advice on L33 Motor!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on L33 Motor!

To make a long story short my stock ls1 block is no good anymore so I picked up a L33 5.3L, Im going to be putting my TSP 228R cam and valve setup on the 799 Heads that came with this motor. I will also be running a Huron Speed truck manifold turbo kit with a TC 76/68 turbo. What killed my LS1 was running 10.5lbs of boost, got detonation in Cyl 7. So my question is with this l33 block and the GEN IV pistons/rods it has in it, if I use the 799 Heads and LS9 head gaskets, head studs, and keep the boost around 6-8 LBS, and also run a water/meth injection, would this be a sound setup to have? I currently have a speed density tune with 14 degrees of timing. My concern so I dont have to do this all over again is if the stock pistons would hold up for longevity, or would it be necessary to save the money and waste the time to get forged pistons, and drop my compression to 8:1 or so? I think what killed my ls1 motor is CYL 7 got hot from a boost pull and started detonation and caused a piston ring edge to break off the cylinder, also scratched the cylinder wall and took out the turbo on that pieces way out. Any help would be appreciated and or advice!

Thanks
Old 10-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

anyone know how the l33 would hold up with boost, stock pistons? id be running low boost somewhere around 5-9 lbs. Im at about 5,200 elevation
Old 10-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Launching!

How many miles on the L33?
The l33 has a thicker connecting rod from the factory and floating wrist pins (gen 4 ftw) so it should be able to "hold up" but the tune is what really matters, detonation will take out any motor so make sure it doesn't happen again, get re tuned
Old 10-30-2014, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know for sure but supposidly the guy I bought it from (which seemed trustworthy but you never know) claimed it had rougly 50,000 on the motor. Which taking it apart there is no grease anywhere on the motor, just mostly dirt build up. I plan on running lower boost then i did before and getting meth/water injection to keep the heat down. Does this seem like a heat issue?

Quick Reply: Need advice on L33 Motor!