Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

10 sec N/A goal, LS3 or LS2 w/LS3 heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 sec N/A goal, LS3 or LS2 w/LS3 heads

Hey guys. So I have recently got back into my 4th gen project. I decided to change things up and make it my fun street/strip car. I would like to get into the 10's on motor. Car is full a full weight SS, I want to retain A/C, PS and full interior. I already have a built 4L60 and 9". I'm thinking of changing to a MWC fab 9 for weight though.

Anyways my plan was to get a pull out LS3 or L92, slap a cam and go from there. I recently came across a great deal on an LS2 short block. I'm wondering if I could reach my goal with a set of stock milled LS3 heads and a ported LS3 intake and save a little cash.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 534 Likes on 382 Posts

I think it might doable. Weight go play a big role along with the cam being the most important thing to look at. Cam either make or break those heads. Don't forget to play with your suspension too on adjustments
Old 11-03-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

I guess that depends if you believe in valve shrouding being an issue or not.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Full weight SS and just a cammed 364 does not sound like a 10 second combo to me.

Port the heads and intake and maybe you'll get there with a good stall and gears.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
I think it might doable. Weight go play a big role along with the cam being the most important thing to look at. Cam either make or break those heads. Don't forget to play with your suspension too on adjustments
Definitely. I plan to run a MWC bumper support and trim a little weight with a K-member and such but I don't want to eliminate and creature comforts. I also plan to give Martin@tick a shout when it comes to cam selection time.

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
I guess that depends if you believe in valve shrouding being an issue or not.
To me not so much. I'll fly cut the pistons and won't be spraying it.

Originally Posted by redtan
Full weight SS and just a cammed 364 does not sound like a 10 second combo to me.

Port the heads and intake and maybe you'll get there with a good stall and gears.
My goal is to get the car around the 3300 mark. It also won't be just a cammed 364. Rectangle port heads flow better than a ported cathedral. It will either be a rec. headed and cammed 364 or a cam only 376. There are more than enough vettes that have done it. I imagine with a better gearing and well sorted suspension it can't be impossible. Hell SBE 346's have gotten it done. I'm just trying to find out if going with an LS2 bottom end will hurt me that much.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:45 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by QuickT/A
I'm just trying to find out if going with an LS2 bottom end will hurt me that much.
It won't make that much difference. What do you plan to do for an intake manifold?
Old 11-05-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
It won't make that much difference. What do you plan to do for an intake manifold?
Hey guys. So I have recently got back into my 4th gen project. I decided to change things up and make it my fun street/strip car. I would like to get into the 10's on motor. Car is full a full weight SS, I want to retain A/C, PS and full interior. I already have a built 4L60 and 9". I'm thinking of changing to a MWC fab 9 for weight though.

Anyways my plan was to get a pull out LS3 or L92, slap a cam and go from there. I recently came across a great deal on an LS2 short block. I'm wondering if I could reach my goal with a set of stock milled LS3 heads and a ported LS3 intake and save a little cash.
OP mentioned ported LS3, which would be plenty enough intake for a sub 11 sec. 4th gen... correct?
Old 11-05-2014, 05:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The entire combination and the end users willingness to test, test and test some more at the track will be the difference between meeting an E.T. goal or not meeting that E.T. goal.

The cam is just a part of the puzzle although it can essentially make or break the combination. I've seen some cars run exceptionally well at the track that had camshafts I felt were sub par or downright wrong(I could of been wrong about my opinion as well!)

All because of the owners willingness and determination to extract every last ounce of E.T. out of the car.

A good working car that can 60' well and consistently, data logging each and every pass and continually tweaking the tune to find the sweet spot and having a converter/gear combo that works for your intended operating range will be the key to a car that runs well at the track.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely. I plan to run a MWC bumper support and trim a little weight with a K-member and such but I don't want to eliminate and creature comforts. I also plan to give Martin@tick a shout when it comes to cam selection time.

To me not so much. I'll fly cut the hvpistons and won't be spraying it.

My goal is to get the car around the 3300 mark. It also won't be just a cammed 364. Rectangle port heads flow better than a ported cathedral. It will either be a rec. headed and cammed 364 or a cam only 376. There are more than enough vettes that have done it. I imagine with a better gearing and well sorted suspension it can't be impossible. Hell SBE 346's have gotten it done. I'm just trying to find out if going with an LS2 bottom end will hurt me that much.
A cam only 376 with the right supporting mods can get a 4th gen f body into 10's full weight.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran an LS3 top end on an LS2 with a cam that I felt wasn't a good fit (LPE Gt-11). I love the cam but it is more tailored to cathedral port heads. I would stick with the LS3. Rectangle port heads are just too much head for the smaller bore. If you do decide to go that route, do some cam research. I was able to almost squeak a 10 with my vette while having a trans issue so either way I think you could hit your goal with a well sorted suspension but I think you'll see a better ET with an LS3.

Quick Reply: 10 sec N/A goal, LS3 or LS2 w/LS3 heads