Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil/ storage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil/ storage?

I know this is a long debated issue but hear goes I'm ready to assemble my the parts on my Shortblock and close it up but it will not be run for maybe a year. I want to soak my lifters an coat everything with oil so what should I use and what precautions should I take so the engine has no issues from sitting in a garage of course!
When The time comes to fire it I will prime the system should I do that periatically for safety and what's best to use?
Old 11-07-2014, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I assembled my long block, I soaked the lifters, and used assembly lube on the cam...the rest I sprayed with wd-40, and put it all in a big garbage bag...a month or so later I checked on it and the lifters has leaked out most of the oil, so the rockers were all loose and wiggly...Fast forward another couple months, when it went to the dyno, they primed the oil system, and it fired up with very little valve train noise.....

As to whether or not it is a good idea to prime every few months....I don't think it would hurt, but I don't think it is needed per-say....
Old 11-07-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

My short block is still wrapped up tight from LME so I would guess the cam has lube on it and its coated with WD-40 or similar.
Should I use break in oil to soak the lifters being that is what I will most like use?
Old 11-07-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

My longblock was assembled and coated with light duty motor oil. I let it sit wrapped so bugs and rats wouldn't nest. Never stored in a/c but I didn't leave it in the rain either. Valve covers sealed, vac ports capped, oil pan installed and sealed, head ports taped shut, and a quart of oil in the pan.

2 years later she fired right up and purred like a rabid kitten. The only thing I did was rotate the motor on the stand every few months to slosh the oil around and let it gravity feed the top and bottom end. Nothing to lubricate it but motor oil and assembly lube.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just used some regular 5w30 to soak my lifters, and it has seemed to work fine

Quick Reply: Oil/ storage?