Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

20k mile LS3 oil pump failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 20k mile LS3 oil pump failure

like the title reads, my 2014 1LE camaro lost oil pressure while I walked away from it for 5-6 minutes so it could warm up in the cabin sunday night.

went back outside to the car expecting a warm welcome..

alarm and Dash was lit up saying "zero oil pressure, shut off engine immediately"

tearing into it tomorrow. I really thought GM would have fixed this TSB on the ls3 oil pumps by now

This has been a stressful week because of this. my cars are my only toys I get to enjoy and none of them run right now

I have a Melling high volume pump and ls2 damper on hand in case things are okay in there. I can't imagine the engine getting hurt too bad. The oil pressure was fine when I walked away from it so It couldn't have idled for too long like that.. It wasn't knocking either

wish me luck guys. I really did not want to be spending money on a 20k engine rebuild. Not because I can't pull it off. but because it's going to get expensive because I'll be wanting to upgrade parts
Old 11-21-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I hope everything is ok but also keep in mind that it only take seconds with no oil pressure to start doing damage but given it was at idle the whole time you might get lucky. I have to assume that it's been modded and voided factory warranty.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I hope everything is ok but also keep in mind that it only take seconds with no oil pressure to start doing damage but given it was at idle the whole time you might get lucky. I have to assume that it's been modded and voided factory warranty.
yeah, me too man, It has headers/cam. car never moved an inch so we will see what i find in the oil pan/filter tomorrow.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope the best for you.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I seen you cammed it all ready. Too bad.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Why aren't you taking it back to the dealer? Isn't it under warranty?

Andrew
Old 11-24-2014, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The cammed and headers/tune part would deny any warranty work with my dealership even if the parts did not cause the failure. I could make a big deal about it but I needed it fixed.

The oil looked great, no abnormalities. I used a customers lift at his shop and I took a good 5 hours with a GM tech friend of mine swapping the oil pump. (Electric power steering motor) was in the way. Backed off the K member bolts slightly and suspended the transmission higher to pull the engine up from the K member. this allowed us to drop the oil pan low enough and reach the oil pump pickup tube bolt. From there I swapped pumps and removed the ls3 chain tensioner and put in an ls2 chain damper.

90 miles later all is good. A little better oil pressure than stock. My oil pressure doesn't drop below the 30 mark on the factory gauge pod. (2.9-3.2 bar)

I got lucky I guess.

I will be doing the trunion upgrade soon after i take care of my clutch pedal sticking problem.

On a side note. The stock pump pressure relief valve was stuck. (Little piston thing) no idea why GM has not fixed that issue. It's been a TSB since 2011
Old 11-25-2014, 06:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's great to hear I changed out my stock oil pump for a melling.

Quick Reply: 20k mile LS3 oil pump failure