Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

lq9- boost or n.a. sierra denali

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq9- boost or n.a. sierra denali

So here's the scoop: I've got a 2005 Sierra Denali cc AWD with an lq9 6.0l, the pickup has about 185k miles on it and the last 2 oil changes have me a little concerned. I've noticed a small hard to hear knock when I first start the truck some mornings and it goes away after a few minutes, that being said and back to the oil I have inspected the oil the last couple times I changed it and have noticed some metal fines on the magnetic drain plug as well as in the oil drain pan. It's not a large amount but its enough to alarm me since metal means worn parts. I'm planning to rebuild the motor, trans, and transfer case this winter and am having a hard time deciding which route to go. I really really love the idea of forced induction but know little about it. I thought about doing a basic rebuild on the bottom end with a cam, New valve springs, and just clean up the stock 317 heads, and throwing a single front mount turbo on it. I love the idea of a boosted daily driver. On the other hand I could do the same bottom end,switch to 243 heads, ls3 intake, and a nasty cam. I'm doing all of this on as small of a budget as possible but don't want to cut any corners and have to do it again. Any opinions, reccomendations, and information as far as n.a., boosted, parts, costs, etc would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking to build a full on race truck, but rather a super nasty daily driver pickup with enough power to turn some heads and sit me back in the seat.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st thing i would do would be called a oil analysis i believe its done by blackstone labs they can tell you if the motors bad and whats wrong with it based upon the type of metal found in the oil. next i would keep the 317's get em cleaned up springs put arp rod bolts in your rods and do a BW 476 turbo keep it simple 12lbs is more than enough. i would recommend either a stock piston slightly over or auto tech pistons they're great also, 243 heads and ls3 intake won't work its cathedral port heads and rectangular port intake
Old 03-14-2015, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The 317s are the same ports as 243s, and the truck intake is nearly as good as the LS6.

As covered the LS3 intake wont work atall.

You can add a lot of power with some head cleanup and a cam swap, keep the stock intake. A higher stall with the tranny rebuild would add a LOT of lowend performance.

Quick Reply: lq9- boost or n.a. sierra denali