Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

this may sound stupid...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy this may sound stupid...

i was wanting to cam my 05 auto corvette but i was wondering if there is a cam out there that gives me choppy and nice sound but without having to tune or having to buy the whole kit (springs and such), i know this is a weird question but im just not into throwing a big cam and spending a **** ton of money basically just to get the sound because money is a little tight now... lol
Old 12-19-2014, 07:02 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

If youre not willing to spend the money, and its understandable, dont compromise either for sound only.

If you want more sound, just put some Spintech or Hooker Aerochamber mufflers, which have a throaty sound.

Cheapest route for sound.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

If money is tight, then the best thing to do is to leave it alone.

Any cam, even the LS1 hotcam, is going to require tuning adjustments.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If money is tight the last thing you should be thinking about is car mods.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

I'd just do a cat back and call it good, exhaust can make any car sound meaner.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love things that sound stupid.

If you just want a bit of an idle, a vacuum leak can get you there. Why are you so against a tune? Tuned vs. stock tune you'll probably pick up quite a bit of power. And a clever tuner could tune in a little idle noise for you.

Now if you can deal with a cam and tune, there are "drop-in" cams that are designed to work with factory valve springs and lifters. Here is an example but if you wanted that with an even rougher idle they can do something custom for you for the same $$. I am wanting to do the same thing actually--nice cam that lets me work with LS6-type springs(cheap) and specifically a choppy idle. Probably going to drop in over there tomorrow if they are open this week.

http://store.cammotion.com/60-ls2-346ci-109-compression

I'll probably be shot for saying this around here but check out the Comp Cams "Thunpr" for a baby cam with an idle. It's literally designed for guys who are after noise specifically but gives you a little more power. Plenty of idle vids on YouTube also.

And like the other guys said, if you don't have exhaust get some already..you wont hear a cam or vacuum leak much without it.

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2015, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
If money is tight, then the best thing to do is to leave it alone.

Any cam, even the LS1 hotcam, is going to require tuning adjustments.
Thanks for the info man, and the only reason I was asking was because I know there are peopl that drop hot cams in trans ams and such and don't tune them, but run fine, I know I don't have a trans am but I was curious, seriously appreciate it though.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mercier
I love things that sound stupid.

If you just want a bit of an idle, a vacuum leak can get you there. Why are you so against a tune? Tuned vs. stock tune you'll probably pick up quite a bit of power. And a clever tuner could tune in a little idle noise for you.

Now if you can deal with a cam and tune, there are "drop-in" cams that are designed to work with factory valve springs and lifters. Here is an example but if you wanted that with an even rougher idle they can do something custom for you for the same $$. I am wanting to do the same thing actually--nice cam that lets me work with LS6-type springs(cheap) and specifically a choppy idle. Probably going to drop in over there tomorrow if they are open this week.

http://store.cammotion.com/60-ls2-346ci-109-compression

I'll probably be shot for saying this around here but check out the Comp Cams "Thunpr" for a baby cam with an idle. It's literally designed for guys who are after noise specifically but gives you a little more power. Plenty of idle vids on YouTube also.

And like the other guys said, if you don't have exhaust get some already..you wont hear a cam or vacuum leak much without it.

Good luck!
Thank you for the advise, seriously good info!
Old 03-05-2015, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Violence.z06
If money is tight the last thing you should be thinking about is car mods.
Yeah you're right, it was pretty redundant to ask about cams and such when money was tight.. If I'm gonna mess with I might as well mess with it right, you know?
Old 03-06-2015, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You're not going to get the truly choppy/cammed sound from a cam that can just drop in without any supporting valvetrain mods or a tune. And you're not going to be able to keep all that stuff stock with a cam that does give you the sound you want.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it possible, yes. Is it adviseable, probably not.

I see where you're coming from and there's no harm in asking the question, however I wouldn't be willing to spend the money on the cam if I didn't have the money to get the proper supporting valvetrain parts, a good tune and the exhaust setup you're going to need to be able to hear it. Most on the site will agree that the cam upgrade is one of those mods where you shouldn't compromise "doing it right the first time".

The risk of something going wrong from running a half-a$$ setup far outweighs the cost of springs and a tune.

Quick Reply: this may sound stupid...