Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

10 Second build with only 525 Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 10 Second build with only 525 Horsepower

I was @ Walmart and started reading about this 10 second 2000's Camaro that had some weight 3310 to be exact with only a little over 500Fwhp. Came home and started looking on the inter web and found this. Some of the people I've talked 2 wanted 10"s and have built or building engines with more cubic inches, more HP, and better parts. Well here's a simple non High Revving nor was Big cubic inches required to get to some 10"s. Wondering what a bigger engine should run now on pump gas. I also know this this is a drag set up. Things that make you go Hmmmmm:-) With a bigger engine you could use less converter, better gearing and call it a street car:-) This was so damn simple even a Fool couldn't miss it.

The New Chevrolet Performance Stock Drag-Racing Class
An Inside Look at What it Takes to Run in NMCA's Sealed-Crate Motor Class, CP Stock.

To quote the great—and fictional—NASCAR crew chief Harry Hogge from Days of Thunder, "There is nothing stock about a stock car." CP Stock. The CP stands for Chevrolet Performance, and it was branded into the category's name for good reason: the company is selling sealed DR525 crate motors exclusively for the class. That's right, NMCA officials and Chevrolet Performance have worked together on a heads-up category that will have all competitors enter the race with the same engine and same minimum weight. No more bickering about loopholes giving one particular combination an advantage over another. The engine is based on the stock LS3 small-block and makes 525 hp with a peak torque output of 489 lb-ft, putting quarter-mile estimates deep into the 10-second zone with speeds of more than 125 mph. The engine is tamper-proof, and a spec-Chevrolet Performance ECU calibration prevents any tweaking in the horsepower department.
This isn't the first time a sealed crate engine is mandatory in a racing category; But for the first time, Chevrolet enthusiasts can buy a motor at a reasonable cost, the same one as any other competitor, and race heads-up. The trick to being successful is in car preparation and driver skill. No longer will the biggest wallet win out in the heads-up arena with a class like CP Stock. The rules are fairly simple with a standard 3,300-pound minimum weight, maximum tire size of 28x10.5-inches, spec fuel, stock rear suspension or ladder bars, automatic transmission-only, 1955 and newer GM vehicles, and other fine details. That is the gist of it, and we suggest you check the NMCA website, NMCAdigital.com, for a complete rundown. The NMCA tech department is serious, so be sure to read every line of the rules.
A 5,500-rpm stall speed torque converter will get a 3,300-pound vehicle moving quickly when the money is on the line. ATI Performance Products says an 8 inch-diameter converter with the standard ATI spring, roller sprag, and latest cover design would work just fine in this application.
The first order of business is figuring out the rear-gear to go through the traps at maximum rpm. "The optimum rear-gear won't be known until you get on track and testing," says JC Cascio of Strange Engineering. With a peak power coming at 6,300-rpm power peak, combined with a 28-inch tall tires and an estimated 128 mph trap speed (525 hp in a 3,300-pound car), he would start with a 4.10:1 or 4.11:1 rear-gear. "That would be a starting point, and you would have to get on track to determine converter slippage, tire growth, and other factors before selecting the perfect gear." As for the other rear-end components, Strange offers lightweight spools, chromoly pinion yokes, and lightened axles. For 35-spline axles, the company does some pocket milling and other lightening tricks with its Ultra-Lite option. Moving to 40-spline axles, the Ultra-Lite package is available as well as a gun-drilled axle option.
For an exhaust system, NMCA officials and Chevrolet Performance have a 1 7/8-inch primary tube sizing in the rules at press time. Nick Filippides of American Racing Headers offered a rare look into building and designing headers for maximum performance. He told us, "Before any testing is done, those engine specs and minimum weight being what they are, a straight 1 7/8-inch primary would definitely be where I'd start. This engine is seeing peak power at 6,300 rpm, which doesn't warrant a bigger header, even if the rules allowed it." According to his experience, the primary tube lengths would in the 30-inch range as a start. He continues, "It could fluctuate 1 to 2 inches as we learn more about what these engines want, but I believe that at 30-inches, this engine combination will produce the best average torque and horsepower."
The most successful NMCA racer, in round wins, is Andy Warren and his 1971 Chevy Caprice. He will be shifting categories in 2015, leaving the index-style Nostalgia Muscle Car class and making his way into CP Stock. Though, sadly, his Caprice won't be making the journey into the heads-up world. A tThird-gen F-body is slated to go under the knife this winter for next season's race car.
The rules call for a maximum primary tube size of 1-7/8 inches. American Racing Headers suggests a 30-inch primary tube length and three-collector for the best average horsepower and torque. The company offers slip-on collectors, allowing racers to test different styles of collectors to achieve the maximum performance from the DR525 engine.
NMCA rules only allow GM automatic transmissions, and it cannot be computer controlled. That narrows the choices down considerably, with TH400, TH350, and Powerglide transmissions leading the way. "We recommend our light-cover torque converter (P/N 408500) and our Heavy Duty/Lightweight TH350 with a transbrake (P/N 351601)" David Caine of ATI Performance Products explains. The TH350 is rated up to 850 hp in most applications and obviously benefits from a transbrake for quick reaction times. The three-speed transmission is filled with the typical parts like a 300M input shaft, reverse manual valvebody, upgraded clutches and steel plates, steel 36 element sprag, aluminum forward and direct drums, and the company's SLD treatment. The torque converter checks in with an 8-inch diameter, and Caine recommended a stall speed of around 5,500 rpm to get the quickest e.t. from the car with that engine package.

Dr. Jamie Meyer of Chevrolet Performance summed up the CP Stock and its existence: "The extension of this program into the Ssportsman drag drag-racing ranks had been discussed for several years. With the rise of popularity of the LSX Shootout, the groundswell of interest in the LS engine platform, and a constant request by our consumers for affordable high-performance products, we are very excited to offer this class and the DR525 crate engine. We have had great success working with visionary sanctioning bodies in the circle-track market, and this strategy continues with the first offering of a class for the DR525 at the National Muscle Car Association (NMCA). Home to our LSX Shootout and the LSX Challenge Series, we felt that this was the right venue to start with the DR525. NMCA already has the attention of the LSX racers, and their class structure, event format, and talented staff will ensure a quick start and bright future for Chevrolet Performance Stock class racing.

Inside the DR525
"Like all LS engines, the LS3 is light, compact, built from state-of-the-art materials, and extremely efficient. Since the engine is still in production, our product team is able to capitalize on the scale of that manufacturing to offer our customers an incredible product at a great price," Dr.Meyer says. "Our team has worked to have an entire family of engines based off of the LS3 engine platform that range from the stock, 430 horsepower all the way up to 525-horsepower race variants for street, circle-track racing, and the DR525 for competitive drag racing."

The DR525 crate motor is offered through Chevrolet Performance dealers under two part numbers—P/N 19329009 (Chevrolet muscle-car oil pan) and P/N 19329008 (Fourth-gen F-body oil pan). All competitors are required to run the Chevrolet Performance engine calibration, including a factory rev-limiter set at 6,600 rpm. The engine comes complete, which includes intake manifold, fuel injectors and fuel rails, wires and spark plugs, cast-iron exhaust manifolds, and LS3 water pump and damper. The retail price for the crate motor is less than $10,000, but most places we saw on the Internet were offering it for around $7,500 to $8,000—not bad for a heads-up racing engine.

The LS-series Gen IV small-block engine is based on the LS3 platform using an aluminum block that has six-bolt main caps. The bore and stroke are 4.065- inches and 3.622- inches, respectively, to bring the final displacement to 376 ci. Compression is pegged at a paltry 10.7:1, which will perform just fine with the NMCA-mandated VP Fuels C10 fuel requirements (107 motor octane). The camshaft is a hydraulic roller that comes with 0.525-inch lift on both intake and exhaust. Chevrolet Performance lists duration at 226 degrees on the intake and 236 degrees on the exhaust. The cylinder heads are aluminum castings with L92 ports, 2.165-inch intake valves, and 1.59-inch exhaust valves. It all adds up to a stout 525 hp at 6,300 rpm and 489 lb-ft of torque, achieved at 4,400 rpm.

Chevrolet Performance offers a couple of extras to go along with the DR525, like its front-engine accessory drive package that includes alternator, bracket, tensioner, serpentine belt, and other components. It is listed under P/N 19329418. A separate PCM is required for CP Stock and racers will find that under P/N 19329004 in the Chevrolet Performance catalog.

Defending LSX Challenge Series fifth-generation Camaro champion, Ronnie Hackleton, is backing off his COPO- clone's performance from mid-9s and 145 mph to the mid-10 second range with the addition of a DR525 naturally-aspirated powerplant.

Last edited by lil john; 01-22-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:57 PM
9 Second Club

Dam liljohn, nothing on tv tonight ? Lol, good write up
Old 01-22-2015, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Needs to be a stick class. But mine made 427 rwhp and 10.8s. I was ready to sell it all and buy and race the sealed crate engine class until that little rule with the Trans.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:47 PM
Banned

Hell no,but did find 1 good show it's coming on again: How It's Made - Koenigseeg1 on the Science channel. Spurs and Bulls (crap) and now the Nets and Clippers Time for Forza 4 Drag racing on line and kick some butt. Cable is F upped sometimes.

Stick cars can go to hell give me a 4 speed automatic any day all that shifting **** I just want to ride and relax. The newer 6 speed and 8 speed automatics will virtually kill anyone still trying to work a clutch, that's so 80"s. You ever seen anyone with a six speed run a 10 it is so funny it like there try to pass a kidney stone or a UFC fight, punching & kicking for what when all I got to do is touch a screen or a **** and tell the transmission we're @ the track harder Launches are required no missing shifts or breaking stuff because I missed a shift. While there shifting I'm puffin on some good rolling listening to some Rick James:-)
Old 01-22-2015, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by lil john
...........While there shifting I'm puffin on some good rolling listening to some Rick James:-)
Damn, you old school ......Rick James .

KW
Old 01-22-2015, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Needs to be a stick class. But mine made 427 rwhp and 10.8s. I was ready to sell it all and buy and race the sealed crate engine class until that little rule with the Trans.
+1 on needing to include stick cars.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 536 Likes on 383 Posts

What's up my family.....
Good article you posted there my guy bit agreed it needs to be a stick LOL. Almost forgot to tell you I picked the block up Monday night :-)
Old 01-23-2015, 02:00 PM
Banned

Glad to hear that brother I like the TFS cathedrals for your build I don't know if you like these but I'm thinking you should be able to get 600rwhp Easy if you would want that much. I'm thinking about a new cam for more HP. More Rpm's to around 8200 would = to maybe closer to 800fwhp I'm @ 7400 now. Going to call Mars and my Tq converter peeps to see if I would be street able.

Last edited by lil john; 01-23-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:15 PM
Banned

Just talked to Mars we good, gonna wait until the summer for the swap. 8grand instead of 8200.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:39 PM
Banned

Some may wonder Y, I'm trying to replicate the old NASCAR engine programs there @ 750 HP now for 2015. BTW was pretty cheap to say I have what NASCAR has on pump gas:-)
Old 01-23-2015, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

If you can't run 10s with a stick you need more power
Old 01-24-2015, 03:23 PM
Banned

Some 1 sent me a message. If you want a # .........F with the right peeps......Still riding :-)

Last edited by lil john; 01-24-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:32 PM
Banned

Went to buy some parts friend and I got into it, But he has 13000hp.
He said i ain't got what I think .........,,..... I'm willing..:-) nothing else's was spoken bet......

Last edited by lil john; 01-25-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:38 PM
Banned

I'm willing to bet my friend, he Won't take that Bet.

Last edited by lil john; 01-25-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Banned

Learned for John B and Tim they had the engines I tried to model mine after.

Last edited by lil john; 01-25-2015 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: 10 Second build with only 525 Horsepower