Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Few parts for the LS7 came in

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few parts for the LS7 came in

So, building an LS7, fairly stock with Darton dry sleeved LS7 block. Caught a cracked liner, so I bought it (rather cheap) and had it rebuilt w/dartons. In hindsight, should have gone ERL Superdeck with it, 20/20!

The one and only Mr. Tony Mamo took care of the port work on the heads, intake, held my hand for cam specs, and is all around a big help with this process.

I pick up the block when I return home from work in Feb, looking forward to assembly and getting push-rods ordered and Dyno time in April/May I hope.

Link the the album, cheers guys!

https://plus.google.com/116687756804...56804111451415
Old 01-25-2015, 12:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msmnick
So, building an LS7, fairly stock with Darton dry sleeved LS7 block. Caught a cracked liner, so I bought it (rather cheap) and had it rebuilt w/dartons. In hindsight, should have gone ERL Superdeck with it, 20/20!
I disagree with you 20/20 view, IMO you should have gone with Darton's MID wet sleeves, they cost about the same money to buy and have installed by somebody like RED, as Earls Superdeck, and the MID system has a lot more going for them than welded cross brace's, as I said just my opinion but with some 50 years practice as a mechanical engineer tinkering with race cars on the side, that's the decision I made as is documented in my thread on this same forum.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal, I'd heard of issues with the MID system that turned me off to it, but I'm guessing like you mention it may have been an issue with the choice of machinist. Some of this stuff is not for your everyday local machine shop. Problems with the sleeves not staying put or not sealing on the water side very well are what I'd seen. In the end, I wanted something reliable overall, lasting 5 years if possible, not being rebuild yearly. Thus my choice for dry sleeves.

The superdeck, MID, and even dry sleeved block is more than required for what I'm doing in the end, unless I want to push the motor further. But its nice to have a bit more strength since one already has to put in new sleeves.

Look forward to reading more on your MID setup, they sure do look amazing when put together.

Btw, what company do you work for as an engineer? Mechanical, civil, petroleum, process, etc?

Last edited by msmnick; 01-26-2015 at 12:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Few parts for the LS7 came in