Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

05 gto prc 225cc, tsunami cam, fast 102

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 gto prc 225cc, tsunami cam, fast 102

Post rebuild check in. Original story was I bought this 05 gto 6mt around 3 months ago, had a "fresh" cam/untuned motor, then took it to the tuner. Motor had 600 miles on it. I picked it up from the tuner and the first pull it threw a rod and destroyed everything, YAY! Thats all in the past... Now the good part. I got a good deal on an un-assembled "shortblock" with (ly6) pistons, didnt know it wasnt assembled and was under the impression they had ls2 pistons, grrrr (ebay.) Decided to make them work and ended up milling the heads .030 since the pistons are dished to bump compression, and assembling the motor with a mechanic buddy. PTV ended up being .082 I/ .234 E since it has the releif for the exhaust already. These prc heads are great for ptv clearance as they were milled and still got decent numbers w/ big cam.

Build-
Stock Cubed Ls2- ls7 lifters, ls2 trays, 7.45 pushrods, dual .650 valve springs, titanium retainers, high pressure oil pump, z06 timing chain, rebuilt the rocker arms, TSP Tsunami Cam (235/240 .648"/.609), PRC 225 cc as cast heads 62cc chambers milled .030, Fast 102 intake, stock 90mm T.B, 25 UD pulley, ACT Clutch, flywheel, kooks 1 7/8 headers, no resonators, kooks high flow cats, y piped to dual electric cutouts, then back to flowmasters, gmm rip shift . What was changed from first time on the overlay to the second was the heads, cam and fast 102. The cam on the original run was a 232/ 234 .5xx. .5xx. Picked up 76 hp and 36 tq. + did some weight reduction, pedders suspension etc. while it was on the lift. Feels like it has small turbo on it after 4krpm, (sounds like it too) pulls VERY nice. I was worried about the tsp cam being to big but I love it, only issue now is traction. Thinking its gunna pick up a few more after being fully broke in and get over that 500 wheel mark. I was also advised a svede otrcai and some throttle body work could net me 15whp +. Any thoughts on that?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
prcdyno 01-28-2015 20.38 PM.pdf (223.6 KB, 390 views)
Old 02-13-2015, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice #'s!!! especially with a GTO, our loss of power to the wheels is UN-fair. does it buck in traffic? do you have gears?
Old 02-13-2015, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I was also advised a svede otrcai and some throttle body work could net me 15whp +. Any thoughts on that?
Depends on what you have now. If it's a stock unit and/or a K&N then I would say possibly, but most of the gains you're going to see with the Svede are on the street where it actually counts. On the dyno you might not see that much, but once you get going you'll realize how much better the OTR intakes work.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 06gtoLD
Very nice #'s!!! especially with a GTO, our loss of power to the wheels is UN-fair. does it buck in traffic? do you have gears?
What do you mean? Does the IRS have a lot of drag on it?
Old 02-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by angelo1000r
What do you mean? Does the IRS have a lot of drag on it?
Angelo!! my name is Angelo also...I've been told and have read multiple time that GTOs lose more HP to the wheels than "corvettes". so that's were my statement was coming from....I think its caused by our DS (2 piece) and IRS, but corvettes have IRS as well. plus being GTOs are as long as a Tahoe lol doesnt help much. Thats the best i can answer but im sure there are more/better reasons GTOs dyno less.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:20 AM
Launching!

With the Svede on my car I could tell a huge difference in power so with that and a 102Tb I'd say yes 15-20rwhp is possible.
Maybe the Svede wont show up on a dyno as much but on the street you will gain a good 10-15rwhp with it.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 06gtoLD
Thanks, stock gears for now but am highly considering 3.91's for a little more around town grunt. It does buck a little, now that im use to the beefy clutch and car in general its pretty predictable and is not a problem. Surprisingly with this cam/setup If I close the cutouts on the highway in 6th I can cruise at 1800rpms and it sounds, feels completely stock.

Originally Posted by redtan
Depends on what you have now. If it's a stock unit and/or a K&N then I would say possibly, but most of the gains you're going to see with the Svede are on the street where it actually counts. On the dyno you might not see that much, but once you get going you'll realize how much better the OTR intakes work.
Thanks, I have the Volant which i've heard is almost the same as stock or a k&n, definately am leaning towards an OTR, I havnt heard or read a bad thing about those.

The motor feels like its loosened up a lot since the break in tune and seems to get stronger everyday. Had some idle and misfire issues, Threw a catch can on fixed that right up as it was the maf getting oily. Also had some major issues with one tire fire around corners, I was skeptical that a simple diff oil change would fix that as I read on here. Changed the diff oil the other night to RP 75w-140 and couldnt be happier with the ease of donuts and walking the *** end around in turns if wanted.

I SMOKED what looked to be a 2013-14 gt 5.0 which at least had exhaust from what I could tell yesterday. I was merging onto a dead straight highway lazily shifting through the gears when I merged over around 75-80mph not expecting anything of it he nailed it and put a good 2 car length on me before I looked around and my brain gave my foot the OK, didnt even downshift from 4th just got on it, cutouts open slowly walking up to him untill I hit my powerband and probably deafened him as I walked by him up to around 130 or so with a solid 2 cars or so on him. I would of been mass murder with a downshift but was defintalely interesting for my first solid kill with the setup.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What is your static compression? Seems like it would be mighty high with 57cc chambers and pistons that are probably -2cc at most.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Did you have to fly-cut your pistons?
Geez. I keep looking at your dyno graph and torque curve over and over again. I'm seriously considering throwing my old cam ideas out the window. Wonder what a set of tfs 225s would produce.

Last edited by 06gtoLD; 02-18-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the results! Those are excellent results with our PRC 225cc as-cast heads. Let us know if we can help you with anything else!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 05-08-2015, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Bringing back an old post. As for static compression, I do not know. No flycutting. Measured and re-measured for ptv clearance. Very comfortable, if I remember is was well within safe. I beleive the reason I was able to run the big cam and mill the heads was due to the prc heads. Not trying to sell tsp in anyway, sometimes when I call I love the place, the next the opposite but with my own ingenuity and their products since the first post my car is now 519 rwhp NA. Havnt been to the track but my trusty iphone app has me at 10.9 @ 123. lol. Kinda accurate? And in my opinion thats just nasty. 91 pump gas. It does make its power up top which is fine as long as you know how to use the pedal.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:57 AM
Teching In

Oh. and Texas speed, you CAN help me with something else. My girlfriend gave me a $50 gift card to you guys, not knowing, that really dosnt get much from tsp. (respectfully) What can I get for $50 bucks ??
Old 05-08-2015, 11:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For $50 we can get you a low temp thermostat, plugs, or some pretty cool TSP swag to wear around Just give us a call. We would be happy to help.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 05-09-2015, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Being in the industry I will say you all are on top of your sales force. I'll save the $50 and spend it toward the tax on my next purchase

Quick Reply: 05 gto prc 225cc, tsunami cam, fast 102