Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Camshaft bearing install

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Camshaft bearing install

Long story short I purchased a brand new LS3 crate motor from a guy who was going to build it with a new camshaft,upgraded valve springs and chain. When he went to install the new camshaft it fit tight and he ended up returning camshaft to vendor but he scored up the camshaft bearings pretty good. After taking the pan and wind age tray off it appears as the middle bearing is pretty bad and the second one back from the front just a little. My question is can the front three bearings be replaced from the front of the motor with the crankshaft in and without removing the rear cover as I really don't want to disassemble the short block any more than needed. I called a machine shop and he wasn't sure if there would be enough room to do it with the crankshaft installed. Anybody know how hard this would be or if it can be done? Thanks all
Old 02-23-2015, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Yes you can do it with the crank in. I would suggest putting all five in rather than just the front three. You'll probably find that the rear two are going to be tight like the front three were. The factory bearings are tight as hell for some reason. I never have good luck with the new gm bearings.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks for that info, the reason I did not want to replace the back two bearings was they look fine and if the rear engine cover did not have to come off then I could leave my flywheel,clutch,and bell housing on which I just got through dial indicating in and final assembling. I should have checked the cam bearings before i got this far. I am not sure off what order the front three would have to be removed and replaced as I know they are different Diam. I was hoping I could just put in new factory bearings in front three only and be done with it. In the end I need this to be right and will do what ever is needed. If the front three only can not be replaced with gm factory bearing which brand would you recommend to use ? As a fyi the stock camshaft does fit in snug but still will turn freely by hand, thanks again

Quick Reply: Camshaft bearing install