Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 rear engine cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 rear engine cover

i bought a 2005 Pontiac GTO M6 last April from the original owner with 12,500 miles on it. Currently, the car has 13,300 miles on the clock. When i bought the car, the owner was not given the exact spec of the cam that was installed in the car by the performance shop that performed the work.

I am in the process of changing the factory clutch to an Mcleod RST unit as i am preparing to add a little more power to the engine soon. She is making right around 470hp now. There was minimal wear on the factory clutch when i removed it. Still plenty of meat on it for sure. but i rather deal with it now before i run into a problem later once i increase the power.

The rear main seal is not leaking. in fact the rear engine cover area was bone dry when i pulled everything off. I was told if i take the rear cover off, i will be able to see the grind number of the said unknown cam. A TTP V3 or V4.

The debate is should i or should i not? i did purchase a new GM#12639250 rear engine cover with new bolts, seal and gasket just in case if i had encountered a leaky rear main seal. Is it that simple to replace the rear engine cover? 14 bolts? or do u need a special tool to make sure the seal is perfectly centered to the crank? If i do removed the cover, when i put the new cover on, can i just slide the rear cover and let the seal self center and slowly tighten the bolts as it pulls the cover to the engine? I see that a company makes a special centering tool for this job but is it even necessary to use that tool when the rear main seal is already installed on the new rear engine cover?

also, will the camshaft manufacture give me the exact cam spec if i give them the grind number?

Old 02-28-2015, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a easy job the cover should have the seal installed and have the white disc in the seal which will center the cover. If the seal is not installed look at Sac City's tools they are cheap and work get the video's will show you the steps!

Quick Reply: LS2 rear engine cover