Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Swapping in an LY6, ARP rod bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Swapping in an LY6, ARP rod bolts?

I'm new to LS engines, but I have a good book coming. I'm leaving it stock for now except for f-body headers and a tune once installed. I've read the stock cam isn't too bad, but I may change it in the future.

I'm curious what I should do to this engine before I install it. Should I put better rod bolts in it? Anything else I should upgrade or go over?

Its going in a third gen camaro.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't bother with the bolts, the Gen IVs are much stronger and should be fine up to 6500rpm and at those power levels.

The thing with ARP bolts is that you have to resize the rods, so by the time you do that and buy the actual bolts you're spending just as much as a basic forged steel rod with ARP bolts already installed...which is going to be stronger than the stock powdered metal unit.

Either leave the bottom end as is if it's in good shape and/or low mileage, otherwise take it all apart and re-do the rings and install new bearings and gaskets everywhere. Depending on the mileage you may also want to do the lifters and timing chain. And do the cam now as it's much easier when the engine is on a stand than in the car. Even if it's a mild or OEM type cam if you don't want to go nuts.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the useful info. It would be easier to put a cam in now, but I'd really like to gauge a new cam off of how the stock one feels. I like low end and mid range torque. Being vvt, it may be difficult to pick one.....

Motor coming out is a 475hp 383 with a xr288hr cam.

Cam questions should probably be a different thread. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Swapping in an LY6, ARP rod bolts?