Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

my lsx build 444 cid need cam help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my lsx build 444 cid need cam help

Hello need a little help here. Car 68 Camaro (pro touring all Speed Tech suspension, big brakes etc.....) Engine 444 cid LS. Gm LSX block, Bore 4.155, stroke 4.100, rod 6.125 compression 11.2, Trick Flow heads Gen X 255, 69 cc chambers. Quench set at .042. fuel injection Holley Dominater, pump gas.(93 oct) Question, Cam shaft, My machine shop had a custom ground cam done for the use of the car. Street, a little auto cross, drag strip once in a while, cruise nights, etc. 5speed trans (Legend) non power brakes. Problem when I plug the cam spec into a dynamic calculater the number appears all wrong to me. 9.18:1 Talked to the cam guy he does not really know what to say as he said no one ever talks to him about dynamic compression. He says according to his experience the cam will work well. I talked to the machinist and he swears by the cam guy as he does mostly race motors and races himself. (his motors are always fast and hold together, he has many wins and some track records, circle track) Cam specs are intake valve lift .6563, (timing spec at .050) duration 244, timing 12.00 and 52.00, C/L 110 TDC .151, Exhaust .6375 lift, Duration 252, Timing 64 and 8, C/L 118 TDC .126, Cam lift is intake, .3750 TDC .086, Exhaust .375, TDC .074, Rockers are TD shaft mount 1.75 intake/1.7:1. am I plugging things in wrong? advice? someone I can maybe call and chat with... etc. thanks Ken

Last edited by partsguy57; 03-09-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by partsguy57
.......Talked to the cam guy he does not really know what to say as he said no one ever talks to him about dynamic compression. He says according to his experience the cam will work well.......
.....this guy has obviously been throwing cams at engines....for years....and has come to understand what generally works (or not) without understanding why.

I wouldn't trust him to make the 'best' cam choice for me....

KW
Old 03-12-2015, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are your choice of top notch cam pro on this web site

Brian Tooley
Martin at Tick Performance
Cam Motion
Patrick G
Old 03-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post above is the only thing needed.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go to this man pay $25. and fill out his questionnaire and be done with, I just fill one out today you'll be glad you did, I wouldn't do it any other way.

http://www.guerragroup.com/#!camshaft-help/c1mq5
Old 03-13-2015, 11:08 AM
Teching In

thank you for the reply's and info. One of the Cam company's mentioned in the posts sent me a email with a phone # to call and chat with him and after talking to him the cam I have will work well with my combo. Thank you!!
Old 03-13-2015, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

My advise is to find someone that isn't asking for $$ up front.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
.....this guy has obviously been throwing cams at engines....for years....and has come to understand what generally works (or not) without understanding why.

I wouldn't trust him to make the 'best' cam choice for me....

KW
Hello, What is so obvious to you, not so much to me. What is obvious is my machinist has state of the art equipment is a "old guy" and has been racing since I was a kid (I'm 48 now) and does nearly only race or high performance motors and his stuff is always fast and does not come apart. ( I owned a auto parts store for many years so you hear all the good and bad) When I told him what I wanted done as far as machine work(I will do the assembly) and asked him what cam company to go with. (meaning one of the large "name brand ") He said no, have a custom grind done for the engine based on the use of the car etc. etc. The cam guy he uses has done cams for him for years and has never steered him wrong. My concern was when I asked him why the numbers using dynamic compression seemed funny, he said he has never messed with that sort of info and didn't really know what to think about it. His attitude was I pay the cam guy to get the job done as far as that goes. He also said looking at the cam specs and based on his experience, he thought it would well. I Then called the cam guy, very nice to chat with but, he said no one ever brings up dynamic compression and based on his years of experience and my info the cam will work well. He could throw out all kinds of tech stuff and sound good, but as far as dynamic compressions numbers go he does not mess with that and did not have much to say about that. I then posted here for some info looking for a little clarification (thinking it was probably me messed up on my thinking) and one the posters listed a group of cam company's and one of those guys sent me a email and a phone number to chat with him (thank you!!). In a nutshell what was said is(these are my words not his),1 be very cautious of dynamic compression numbers as they are far to simplistic to put much stock in. 2 the cam will work well with my combo and no reason to make a change.( I said I was open to paying for another cam) so it appears as you said in your post the cam guy got lucky with his "cam throw", or maybe all involved were correct and my concerns were unfounded. Being as I am the least "smart" as cam design goes I don't think it was a lucky "cam throw" as you stated, but I could be wrong. I like to check things out as I have learned and having seen after being in the parts business for many years that mistakes can be made and you always check everything out. I feel that if you are assembling the motor you are responsible for the final product so double check all clearances, parts, etc Ken
Old 03-14-2015, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by partsguy57
......so it appears as you said in your post the cam guy got lucky with his "cam throw", or maybe all involved were correct and my concerns were unfounded. Being as I am the least "smart" as cam design goes I don't think it was a lucky "cam throw" as you stated.....Ken
Ken,

Take a deep breath, get the knot out of your panties and read my post again.

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
.....this guy has obviously been throwing cams at engines....for years....and has come to understand what generally works (or not) without understanding why......
No where in that post did I state he was lucky or that he couldn't get a cam right. I just don't care for the pure "trial and error" approach to cam spec'ing that he has to take since he apparently never took the time understand the 'how' or 'why' of cam spec'ing.

But if you can show in my post where I stated that he could not pick out a cam that works, I'd like to see it.

KW

Quick Reply: my lsx build 444 cid need cam help