Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Building a Corvette LSX block for boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a Corvette LSX block for boost

Hello all,

Don't really post much on here, but I picked up a LSX gen 2 block a few weeks ago for a pretty good price.

I have a 06 LS2 Corvette that I will be dropping this into and I had a few questions on just what rotating assembly to go with. For power adders, I will be running with 2 62mm turbo's and expecting it to put down anywhere north of 1,000 on either a 408 of 427ci motor.

For the rotating assembly, is the Dragonslayer worth the additional cost over Callies Compstar crank at these power levels? What about rods? Are the Ulta's (or even the I's over the H's) worth their additional price tag over their Compstar line for my goals?

I'd like to build the block to handle a good amount of power, but don't want to go absolutely crazy if I don't have to.

Last edited by staticki; 07-01-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Anyone?
Old 08-11-2015, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great turbos, but 400+ ci is too large for them. Get in your time machine and buy one of my 390ci engines.

Really I don't think you need an LSX block and the added weight. Twin PT6262's on kill is 1000rwhp?

LSA or LS9 block, LSA crankshaft, Callies Ultra H rods, Diamond pistons.

If you some extra power off boost, consider a 3.750 or 3.900" Callies Magnum crankshaft. JE has shelf pistons for that combination. Diamond would change the CH for me sometimes for nothing, you just have to wait. CP has the old AES design pistons in their list I'm sure, they can build them just not a shelf stock piston.

That LSX block will add reliability to the engine but the 1.100" compression height pistons loose reliability, cancels itself out.

Good luck.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Banned

Find out the max HP rating for the cheaper crank/rods and stay below the advertising rating. Bore should stay under 4.155 with boost builds.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Dragonslayer is overkill for 1,000whp. For Callies brand crank the Magnum will meet your needs without wasting money.

FWIW STOCK LS crank is good to about 900whp turbo application. Most H beams are good to about 900whp in V8 engines but rpm limited due to stretch.

Twin 62s will meet your goal depending on configuration but will fall off sooner. For 400+ci you can step up to twin 67 or 76mm snails and still spool up without a supra powerband.... ____/ lol

Engine management/tune, boost control, and fuel will hold it all together. IF your drivetrain and chassis don't fall apart.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by staticki
Hello all,

Don't really post much on here, but I picked up a LSX gen 2 block a few weeks ago for a pretty good price.

I have a 06 LS2 Corvette that I will be dropping this into and I had a few questions on just what rotating assembly to go with. For power adders, I will be running with 2 62mm turbo's and expecting it to put down anywhere north of 1,000 on either a 408 of 427ci motor.

For the rotating assembly, is the Dragonslayer worth the additional cost over Callies Compstar crank at these power levels? What about rods? Are the Ulta's (or even the I's over the H's) worth their additional price tag over their Compstar line for my goals?

I'd like to build the block to handle a good amount of power, but don't want to go absolutely crazy if I don't have to.
If you have come to terms with the obstacle of the extra front end weight of the LSX iron black and a pair of hair dryers you will be in good shape as a foundation.
This is assuming you can get the chassis set up properly to deal with that extra nose weight.
Turbo's are so much easier on the mains than other power adders what it comes down to on crankshaft choice is.
Are you going to upgrade later or make more power?(turn up the wick)
A standard H-beam rod from a good vendor with a arp 2000 fastener is something we use in all assembly's we rate to 1000 flywheel.
Anyone looking to make more we encourage them to move into a billet rod for durability.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fraser588
Great turbos, but 400+ ci is too large for them. Get in your time machine and buy one of my 390ci engines.

Really I don't think you need an LSX block and the added weight. Twin PT6262's on kill is 1000rwhp?

LSA or LS9 block, LSA crankshaft, Callies Ultra H rods, Diamond pistons.

If you some extra power off boost, consider a 3.750 or 3.900" Callies Magnum crankshaft. JE has shelf pistons for that combination. Diamond would change the CH for me sometimes for nothing, you just have to wait. CP has the old AES design pistons in their list I'm sure, they can build them just not a shelf stock piston.

That LSX block will add reliability to the engine but the 1.100" compression height pistons loose reliability, cancels itself out.

Good luck.
Originally was planning on doing a built LY6 iron block, but ending up picking up a LSX for a steal of a deal.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Dragonslayer is overkill for 1,000whp. For Callies brand crank the Magnum will meet your needs without wasting money.

FWIW STOCK LS crank is good to about 900whp turbo application. Most H beams are good to about 900whp in V8 engines but rpm limited due to stretch.

Twin 62s will meet your goal depending on configuration but will fall off sooner. For 400+ci you can step up to twin 67 or 76mm snails and still spool up without a supra powerband.... ____/ lol

Engine management/tune, boost control, and fuel will hold it all together. IF your drivetrain and chassis don't fall apart.
Absolutely agree with you on the 62's being a little tiny, but with the manifold and placement, it is tough to fit anything much bigger in a c6 engine bay. Will agree that a 67 will be much better suited, but can't get my hands on one to test fit.

Car will be on ProEFI with their eboost controller and flex fuel/e85.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Callies Magnum is more expensive than the Dragonslayer...

OP, I'd build the rotating assembly to handle more power than you're wanting to make.

You don't want to throw some cheaper parts in there to save a few hundred bucks when the money saved will be a drop in the bucket when it's all said and done.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:17 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by staticki
Originally was planning on doing a built LY6 iron block, but ending up picking up a LSX for a steal of a deal.
Most piston vendors offer quality parts off the shelf that meet most enthusiasts needs.
For a customer looking to make 4 digit power #'s reliably we would recommend getting into a custom rotating assembly to meet your short and long term needs.
Getting the correct bearings, wrist pins and ring pack are just as important as the crank and rod selection.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SHovV
Callies Magnum is more expensive than the Dragonslayer...

OP, I'd build the rotating assembly to handle more power than you're wanting to make.

You don't want to throw some cheaper parts in there to save a few hundred bucks when the money saved will be a drop in the bucket when it's all said and done.
Ah thank you for the correction

Agreed on these points. Its all a compromise but budget and max effort don't go together.

Pick 2:
Cheap
Fast
Reliable
Old 08-14-2015, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

LivernoisMotorsports,
I seen in a mag (Don't ya hate it when people say this?,. LOL) a few months ago that LIVERnois built a Forged 419 for boost that IIRC had LSA heads and was getting a Whipple SC.

Does any of this ring a bell? Would you have any info on that build? Maybe start a thread with the entire article as I thought it was a multi-installment build.

thanks,
Jim
Old 08-14-2015, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Ah thank you for the correction

Agreed on these points. Its all a compromise but budget and max effort don't go together.

Pick 2:
Cheap
Fast
Reliable
Definitely, don't mind spending the money if it is worth the investment.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Since you almost have to use 62s due to space, it would be interesting to build to the turbos. Building to the turbos would also preserve your irs components and transmission. I would consider doing a 4.125" x 3.76" and going with some nice cathedrals. You could get 1000hp on kill but not have an excess amount of component killing torque like an LSX 427 would.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

OP, which turbo kit do you have and where do the turbos sit? You might be able to upgrade the turbo itself with billet wheels, larger rear housing, anti-surge compressor, etc to get more cfm out of what you have. Those will let you keep basically the same size turbo with more output.

What specs do you have for the turbos themselves? 62mm come in at least 6 flavors from any reputable brand.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
LivernoisMotorsports,
I seen in a mag (Don't ya hate it when people say this?,. LOL) a few months ago that LIVERnois built a Forged 419 for boost that IIRC had LSA heads and was getting a Whipple SC.

Does any of this ring a bell? Would you have any info on that build? Maybe start a thread with the entire article as I thought it was a multi-installment build.

thanks,
Jim
We have builds going on all the time of different combinations and various engine family's .
This is a great combo for a good portion of racers and enthusiasts.
It gives you a stout foundation at a reasonable price point.

here is a link to the article
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...FMV1VHWm5td0xV
Old 08-17-2015, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by LivernoisMotorsports
We have builds going on all the time of different combinations and various engine family's .
This is a great combo for a good portion of racers and enthusiasts.
It gives you a stout foundation at a reasonable price point.

here is a link to the article
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...FMV1VHWm5td0xV
Thanks for the reply. The link is "private" and locked.

thanks anyways .
Jim
Old 08-18-2015, 12:44 PM
FormerVendor

That has to do with the publishing rules
all you need to do is send in a request and we will allow someone to view it.(just that article)
Otherwise you will need to buy the magazine.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:37 AM
FormerVendor

We have had several forum members request a link to view the article.
Don't be scarred to send in a request to view.

Quick Reply: Building a Corvette LSX block for boost