Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam and Head Combo Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam and Head Combo Advice

Hi guys looking to get some advice. I have a 2000 Corvette M6 Coupe with about 50k miles on it that I just got in February. Recently had it dyno tuned and it put down 352/346. Current mods are ls6 intake, ported and polished tb, blackwing, TPiS long tubes, x-pipe, corsa pace car exhaust, 160 degree t-stat, spec stage 2 clutch, comp 212/218 .522/.529 114 lsa cam, and b&m ripper shifter.

I just bought a set of Wegner racing ls2 799 heads that are 5-axis CNC'd with stock sized del west titanium valves. The heads were used on the K&N series NASCAR motors and flow 305/235 intake/exhaust... or so I'm told. If you've got more info on the flow numbers for these heads please let me know. From what I can gather, the porting was more focused on good low/mid flow numbers. They have stock sized 64cc chambers, I picked them up in the classifieds section so any specifics I'm leaving out are probably on the ad.

I'm trying to decide on a good cam for this setup. I want to have a street/strip car, hopefully 430+ rwhp (not chasing an ET as I don't want to grenade my rear end, but I'd maybe track the car 3-4 times a year) that can take care of most other cars from a 40-60 roll (on a closed course... Obviously ) I'm not worried about stoplight to stoplight... mostly roll racing through 4th gear.

Right now I'm leaning towards the G5x3 112 lsa cam kit, but I'm interested in what you guys' opinions are and if I should have the heads milled at all to maybe 59-61cc to bump up the compression ratio so I don't lose all my torque down low. Since the heads were designed for better flow mainly in the low/mid range though, I don't know if this will be necessary or not.
If any guys are running the g5x3 with ported 243 heads I'd love to hear from you - lots of people I know are running the g5x3 with afr 205's but it's harder to find the guys with 243's.

Like I said, open to suggestions on the cam but I am impressed with what I've seen from the g5x3. I'm just trying to get some opinions on what I can do to maximize my combo - I don't want to be one of those guys that just throws a pair of heads and cam together and hopes that they work well with each other. I've read enough to know that unless you maximize the flow dynamics of your combo you'll be missing out on a good chunk of power.

Thanks guys
Old 07-13-2015, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Best advice contact Kip @ CAM MOTION, Martin @ Tick,or Pat G
For a custom cam, provide as much flow data and goals/ app.
For your car and the extra few $$$ is well worth it. Get it wrong
and lose much enjoyment of your car.
My .02 227*/234* LSA 114*+3* .600"/.580"
Old 07-13-2015, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Whatever cam you decide on I'd definitely have the heads milled while you're in there.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
Best advice contact Kip @ CAM MOTION, Martin @ Tick,or Pat G
For a custom cam, provide as much flow data and goals/ app.
For your car and the extra few $$$ is well worth it. Get it wrong
and lose much enjoyment of your car.
My .02 227*/234* LSA 114*+3* .600"/.580"
I've been trying my best to find the flow data for the Wegner heads but it has been really difficult to find someone with this information. I guess because they were used in the Nascar series Wegner didn't want to reveal any data about the heads at all. If anyone has this info it'd be awesome if you could share it.

Goals would be a weekend car that is "streetable" but I don't mind some surging and bucking here and there. My dad has a 64 Plymouth Fury with a 440 6-pack huge solid roller cam set up for drag racing that I would drive around pretty frequently so a some loss of drivability isn't too much of a concern. I would probably focus more on roll racing than drag racing but would like to be in the mid/low 11's if possible.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Navyblue gave the best answer, yet. You will not be disappointed with a cam spec'ed by Martin or Pat G... And if you're going through the hassle of swapping cams, you might as well put one in there that is designed for YOUR car, and how YOU drive.

You don't have off the shelf heads, why use an off the shelf cam?

Quick Reply: Cam and Head Combo Advice