Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Can I delete afm/dod without deleting the vvt? ... using a stock cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Can I delete afm/dod without deleting the vvt? ... using a stock cam?

Yes, I searched...

There are conflicting reports that you need a pre-'07 cam to complete a afm/dod delete. A lot of the information seems to be relatively old, though. I deem my findings inconclusive, at best.

So, can you retain the vvt system, using a stock vvt cam, and delete the afm/dod system?

Now, before anyone takes this as an opportunity to bash the vvt system, or tell me there are aftermarket vvt cams available, or that the stock vvt cams are lame sauce... I know. I get it.

But I want to swap a lc9 into my S10. Junkyard motor with new rings and bearings and ebay/arp hardware. I was thinking an ls6 intake and L99 camaro cam and injectors. Afm/dod delete. Slp 1.85 rockers with the trunion upgrade.

The vvt camaro cam isn't anything spectacular, but it is better suited for the kind of driving my S10 will see. And with 1.85 rockers, the weak lobe profile and low lift won't be such a hindrance.

Yes, the 1.85 rockers can be used with the vvt without a cam phaser limiter.

L99 camaro cam
195/201 @ .050"
.500/.492 w/ 1.7
.544/.535 w/ 1.85

It's better than the truck cam and people practically give those L99 cams away for a song and dance. Plus, after it's running and all the bugs are worked out, a single turbo is in the future, and I bet that L99 cam/slp rocker combo will work just fine with a ~80mm turbo.

Anyways, can it be done? Can I delete the afm/dod system without getting rid of the vvt?
Old 07-23-2015, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll have over $700 tied up in those SLP 1.85 rockers by the time you do a trunion upgrade!!

I went with a $280 New Trickflow 216/220 w/ dual springs.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Drew, do you still have vvt?

And I know the cost of the slp rockers. Regardless of the brand name, 1.8 to 1.85 ratio rockers with the trunion upgrade. It's what I want. I never said that it's the cheapest way, or even the best way.

I want to get the engine in and running under the following conditions:
1. Afm/dod is both physically gone and tuned out.
2. Full use of variable valve timing, without cam phaser limiter.
3. Stock cam, it can be a different vehicle's stock cam, but a factory GM part nonetheless.

Can it be done?

I want to use rockers with the trunion upgrade for peace of mind. And the stock vvt cams can use a little help from the more aggressive rocker ratio.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see why deleting DOD would get rid of VVT, as there are trucks without DOD and VVT, like the L92.

If you're interested in the L92 cam/phaser/pushrods/cam gear shoot me a message. I think in the 6.2 it actually makes a little more power than the L99?
Old 07-23-2015, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

For whatever reason, I hadn't looked at the l92 cam. Now that I have, it looks to be the one I will pursue. Thank you for showing me that.

For anyone who is curious, l92 cam specs:
198/209 @ .050"
.500/.500 w/ 1.7
.544/.544 w/ 1.85

Should work well with ls7 lifters and valve springs. And still give me the complete spectrum of cam phasing. I will probably have valve reliefs cut in the factory flat top pistons just to be safe.

Push the redline out to 7000rpms, and scale the vvt table accordingly.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
For whatever reason, I hadn't looked at the l92 cam. Now that I have, it looks to be the one I will pursue. Thank you for showing me that.

For anyone who is curious, l92 cam specs:
198/209 @ .050"
.500/.500 w/ 1.7
.544/.544 w/ 1.85

Should work well with ls7 lifters and valve springs. And still give me the complete spectrum of cam phasing. I will probably have valve reliefs cut in the factory flat top pistons just to be safe.

Push the redline out to 7000rpms, and scale the vvt table accordingly.
No problem, it definitely seems pretty effective in the stock L92, especially on E85. We talked before how I wanted to keep VVT w/ my LSA, but I ended up dropping it due to water pump fitment, more than enough low end torque and ease of tuning.

I also happen to know someone selling one haha...

I swear I got an email that TSP posted saying if you used a DOD cam with out the hardware you'd get codes, you could only turn it off through programing or w/ a cam change? That'd narrow you to a L92 anyways if L99 would throw codes then w/ out DOD hardware, but maybe that was wrong and he deleted the post?
Old 07-23-2015, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

I think it's Texas speed that has the disclaimer on their website in the d product description for their afm/dod delete kit. They advise to change the cam when deleting afm/dod.

I'm pretty set on that particular cam, now that you have shown it to me. My only concern now is if I can keep the vvt with heavy duty valve springs.

They advise nothing more than 400# springs or the oil pressure in the cam phaser can't maintain control over 5000rpms.

If that's the case, would throwing more oil at the cam phaser via a +30% oil pump give it enough pressure to fight/work with heavy duty valve springs?

Or is that a question better asked in the forced induction section? Because I don't have to worry about heavy duty valve springs until I add the turbo. I'm just going to use ls7 springs to get it running.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
I think it's Texas speed that has the disclaimer on their website in the d product description for their afm/dod delete kit. They advise to change the cam when deleting afm/dod.

I'm pretty set on that particular cam, now that you have shown it to me. My only concern now is if I can keep the vvt with heavy duty valve springs.

They advise nothing more than 400# springs or the oil pressure in the cam phaser can't maintain control over 5000rpms.

If that's the case, would throwing more oil at the cam phaser via a +30% oil pump give it enough pressure to fight/work with heavy duty valve springs?

Or is that a question better asked in the forced induction section? Because I don't have to worry about heavy duty valve springs until I add the turbo. I'm just going to use ls7 springs to get it running.
With a stock cam I'd run the stock springs or simliar strength from aftermarket to not have any worries, but I'm not positive the impact of the different rocker ratio will be compared to a more aggressive cam. I believe the VVT oil pump is 30% greater than normal already on volume, I actually replaced it with a Melling so I have that as well...

To get an answer I think you'd need to get TSP or Mast as they seem to have messed with VVT the most.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

It was a hotrod magazine article about the mast vvt cam that said the cam phaser starts to lose control with valve springs over 400# of pressure.

Ls7 springs are rated at like 310# or something like that. Granted, they have a different install height on the ls7 compared to a ls1, but they will still work with the l92 cam and slp rockers.

I read somewhere that Pac 1218's are rated at 318#, and plenty of people use them for turbo builds, so I think I will be able to keep the vvt, even when I add a turbo.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Has anyone put a L92 cam in a 5.3L? I searched this site and Google, couldn't find any results for a L92 cam in a 5.3L motor.

I'm not expecting anything fancy. I was really just hoping to find a stock cam 5.3 dyno graph with a 5.3/l92 cam graph overlay.

The l92 cam is only an increase of 8° intake duration, and 18° exhaust duration, both at .050". I think that will just extend the curve to the right. The power increase, if any, will come from the additional .034/.043 inches of lift, which is significant.

Additional lift or not, I'm really not expecting too much in the way of additional power from the L92 cam. Just trying to stretch the redline out to 7k, using a stock vvt cam.

Any 5.3/L92 cam combos out there? Dyno sheets? Driveability impressions?
Old 07-23-2015, 07:24 PM
Teching In

NO, you cannot run the stock DOD cam after deleting the rest of the DOD system!!! Doing this has caused a miss for many people. Nothing worse than having to tear it down again!
Old 07-23-2015, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

I read that some people had different compression in the afm/dod cylinders after deleting it. Misfires on the afm/dod cylinders.

And then there were people who had no problems with it.

But I have been pointed towards the L92 cam, which has vvt, but does not have afm/dod. So, I am going to use that with some 1.8 to 1.85 ratio rockers.

Are you speaking from experience? Have you already went through this? Thanks for the heads up, either way.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:52 AM
Teching In

When I did my DOD delete I replaced cam, chain and sprockets, oil pump, lifters, valley, pistons and rings, rod bearings, and installed shorty headers. It's well documented now that the original DOD cam is cut special and should not be reused.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:45 PM
Teching In

David,
Have you had any luck with this swap? I'm in the same boat with my lc9 and I just picked up a l92 cam
Old 09-11-2015, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

I haven't done it yet. I've been changing my mind like a fat kid in a candy store, so ultimately nothing has been accomplished.

But if you have the 5.3 and the L92 cam, I am still very interested in your results. Please keep me updated.

Quick Reply: Can I delete afm/dod without deleting the vvt? ... using a stock cam?