Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

NEED HELP!!! Which oil tube pick up oring to use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP!!! Which oil tube pick up oring to use?

I'm changing the oil pan/pick-up tube on my LY6 6.0 to a 2007 Cadillac CTSV oil pan/pick-up tube. The pan and pick up tube i got didn't have an o-ring when i got it. I hve RED o-ring that was on the truck pickup/oil pump but after looking it says the Cadillac pick-up tube should have been a BLUE o-ring. Im thinking i should use the red one since it was what the original seal the truck oil pumps come with. I need to make sure I have the correct one because I don't want to have to change it out after I install the engine (or even worse damage the engine). Any suggestion would be helpful. TIA.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like if your manual says blue ring for the Caddy tube, that's what you should use. Pump housings are the same, pickup tubes are not...
Old 09-03-2015, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Unfotunitly when i got the pan and pick up tube it didn't come with instuctions or with an oring. i just know i have the red one that came off my truck pick up and figure i should use the one for the pump but im not sure? Looks like ill be going to the Gm dealer tomorrow for an oring.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

As I said, the pumps are all identical. The swedge on the tube ends are different, you need to match the ring to the tube.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Thanks S10xGN. Reading comprhention exceeds me today at first i read your posts wrong but i found that the pumps are the same bore and the oring needs to match the tube. Thanks again sorry i read your post wrong.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a new melling pump & it came with blue & green O-rings. According to their instructions I used the blue one. I have an ls1 pickup tube.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by toyin
Thanks S10xGN. Reading comprhention exceeds me today at first i read your posts wrong but i found that the pumps are the same bore and the oring needs to match the tube. Thanks again sorry i read your post wrong.
No sweat, pays to get the right one the first time. Some tubes, the ring references on an inner step and will need a thicker ring, some tubes reference on the outer step and use a thinner ring. There actually is a thread on here somewhere that shows all this...

Quick Reply: NEED HELP!!! Which oil tube pick up oring to use?