Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

How many pounds is the pressure relief valve on the DOD / AFM oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How many pounds is the pressure relief valve on the DOD / AFM oil pump?

Pretty simple question I think - how many ponds is the oil pressure relief valve on the DOD oil pump? The pump is off an L76 with DOD, no VVT.

Can you swap in springs from other oil pumps (LS3, etc) to change the max pressure?
Old 10-08-2015, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure, but what I do know is that it is also a high volume pump. It could pump too much oil out of your pan unless you're using a G8 8 quart oil pan as well.

Edit, also there is a 55 psi relief valve in the oil pan as well. If you don't plug this, then it doesn't matter what you do with the spring in the oil pump.

Last edited by mchicia1; 10-08-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the reply!

I am thinking about removing the 55 PSI relief valve in the pan and making the recirculation valve built into the pump the only pressure regulator. I don't like the idea of oil being sprayed into the rotating assembly just to eventually fall back into the pan. I would rather have the recirculation valve in the pump return the excess oil directly back to the suction side of the pump where it will not cause aeration issues, oil consumption issues, or sump capacity issues.

With all that said, I think I am just going to go with an LS3 pump that I ported last week. It will provide good volume at idle and hopefully not fall off as badly at 5500 RPMs as a atock pump.

In both of these scenarios I am removing the pan mounted bypass valve AND plugging it!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FastKat
Thanks for the reply!

I am thinking about removing the 55 PSI relief valve in the pan and making the recirculation valve built into the pump the only pressure regulator. I don't like the idea of oil being sprayed into the rotating assembly just to eventually fall back into the pan. I would rather have the recirculation valve in the pump return the excess oil directly back to the suction side of the pump where it will not cause aeration issues, oil consumption issues, or sump capacity issues.

With all that said, I think I am just going to go with an LS3 pump that I ported last week. It will provide good volume at idle and hopefully not fall off as badly at 5500 RPMs as a atock pump.

In both of these scenarios I am removing the pan mounted bypass valve AND plugging it!
I plugged it on my 427 build and I've got a feeling it bumped the pressure a bit as my first startup on that build showed about 73 psi on a 1500 rpm idle at cold. The old motor would have been high 50's. Disclaimer of course is this is a new motor and I went from running 5W30 synthetic to 10W40 conventional. Both motors ran the Melling 10296 but I ported the Melling on the new motor. I was concerned about the effect of plugging that relief but I spoke with Improved Racing about this and they stated on non-DOD/AFM cars it would be fine. That pan relief is there to protect the DOD/AFM system from too much pressure but GM just specs all cars with the same relief in the pan.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I plugged mine as well. On the G8, it's basically impossible to get the oil pump tube bolt off with the oil pan attached anyway. And the pan is super easy to remove. The motor just has to be jacked up a couple inches and supported. I just stuck wood between the mounts and body.

Quick Reply: How many pounds is the pressure relief valve on the DOD / AFM oil pump?