Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Valve train tick after steady cruising rpms

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Valve train tick after steady cruising rpms

I have an 84 Monte Carlo with an ly6 swapped in it. It has a BTR ls3 stage 4 cam that is new this year. If I cruise at a steady rpm of 2500 for 2 minutes or so the car will start ticking from rocker arm area around cylinder 7. I figured it was a lifter going bad so i replaced the lifters with brand new ls7 lifters and comp pushrods. The lifters have .085 preload with 7.425 pushrods. The car still makes the noise and it only comes after cruising at a steady rpm. If I flash the converter every once in a while cruising it will not make the noise and when it does make the noise i can make it go away within a few seconds by getting into it a bit. Car has 55psi oil pressure cruising at 2500rpm.

The car was carb'd last year and never had a problem. This year it has a different cam and is efi with factory truck intake. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Are you sure you don't have a header leak or exhaust leak? Just something to check. I thought i had a lifter tick and after a month trying to find it it ended up being my header gasket underneath near the spark plugs. I only noticed because i saw some soot on 2 plugs. The header gaskets were brand new oem but i installed the passenger one upside down.

Quick Reply: Valve train tick after steady cruising rpms