Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Balance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance?

Ls2 with tick sns-2 cam is ready to go, balanced and all. Bolting it up to a used tr6060 and ready to go. Going into a street 57 Chevy, nothing too crazy.

Then I started investigating the flywheel balance issue along with 8k used stock clutch.

So the question as this flywheel/pp hasn't ever been on this motor do I just bolt it up and go? Or break down and buy a new flywheel clutch etc. I'd prefer to not buy a new flywheel combo as it'll take a week and another 500. And the car won't see too many 7k shifts.

Any reason not to bolt it and go for now? I'm sure I'll have the car apart again for a clutch so it's not like I'm assuming this is the end. Thanks!!
Old 06-27-2016, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LS motors are internal balance, meaning the crank does not need the flywheel or harmonic damper to be balanced like an external balance motor would. As long as the flywheel itself is balanced and not damaged, as a new one would be, it should be fine. I know this is a pretty basic answer, so hopefully that is what you are asking.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the flywheel/pressure plate/damper came from a corvette, it may have additional balancing done to it, that could result in increased vibrations. If these parts were from anything but a Corvette, you should be fine to just bolt it up.

Manual transmission Corvettes are internally balanced, just like every other LS motor, but are slightly refined with external adjustments to the flywheel and damper.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Folks, thanks for the responses. This was from a 2010 camaro ss so it sounds like the balancing shouldn't be an issue. Any alignment balance flywheel and pressure plate? Ie does it need to holt on a certain degree?

Else thanks for the response and actually listening and not just stating that I should buy a $3k triple clutch billet fw setup for my stock car. It's refreshing to have this response on a forum.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

They don't have to be clocked any specific way. The flywheel and pressure plate are zero balanced, separately. Bolt them up, and be sure to use loc tite on all of the bolts.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:33 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
If the flywheel/pressure plate/damper came from a corvette, it may have additional balancing done to it, that could result in increased vibrations. If these parts were from anything but a Corvette, you should be fine to just bolt it up.

Manual transmission Corvettes are internally balanced, just like every other LS motor, but are slightly refined with external adjustments to the flywheel and damper.
Where did you get this info?
Old 06-30-2016, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not saying you HAVE to but if you want peace of mind, machine shops around me only charge $100 to balance a flywheel/pressure plate combo. Might be worth checking local to you. Most of the time the factory stuff is pretty good but if you are concerned, $100 or so might be worth it. Theoretically two pieces balanced separately should stay balanced sitting next to each other but let's say both pieces separately were right on the outer edge of acceptable spec...together, they could be out of spec. And stuff just happens when you start torqueing bolts on stuff that isn't machined to space shuttle tolerances(not the rocket boosters, ahem) Just sharing my thoughts. Not necessarily pushing you to get the assembly balanced but more pointing out that it isn't an expensive endeavor compared to most swap items/activities.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KCS
Where did you get this info?
It's been mentioned many times, dating back to the C5 days, and continued with the C6. You can definitely find links to it on the corvette forum. If you ever look at the flywheel or harmonic damper from a corvette, you will see slugs of metal added to holes drilled around the perimeter, to further refine the balance of the assembled motor.

Quick Reply: Balance?