Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil Pressure drop after engine sitting for ~2 months

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure drop after engine sitting for ~2 months

Hello! I have a Nissan 240SX with a LS1/T56 from a 2000 Camaro SS. The mods that were done are a TSP 228R and all of the supporting mods including a new oil pump. When I first got the engine started in the new chassis, I had about 32-36 psi of oil pressure at idle, I wasn't able to drive the car around much because it needed more work and I had no time to work on it. I eventually took it to my buddies shop to do things like y pipes, AN oil lines, fix a power steering leak, etc. Now the car only has about 10psi of pressure at cold idle. I have to add that the oil pan I used (CXRacing, absolute junk in hindsight) has a leak from one of the welds on the pan that has yet to be fixed. If someone could shine some light on this it would be highly appreciated.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am unfamiliar with that specific pan but can tell you that the factory (wet sump) designed all have a point at which pressurized oil flows through the pan(and gasket) to the oil filter. If you have yet another crack or similar, it is possible that you have what amounts to an internal oil leak--maybe just pressurized oil bypassing right back into the pan? It's at least one possibility. Are your oil lines up to spec? Shall I assume you have a cooler of some sort if you mentioned lines? Is this of sufficient size and is it connected properly?

If none of the above strikes a chord, I would start by making a list of anything that you so much a touched that has anything to do with oil or touches something that has to do with oil between the time of good pressure and now.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure drop after engine sitting for ~2 months