Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS376/480 warranty terms?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LS376/480 warranty terms?

I am contemplating buying this crate engine. Most of it is peace of mind on the 2 year warranty that GM offers. Does anyone know the actual terms to this warranty? It doesnt seem to come with a PCM to run the engine. (thats a separate purchase) Do you have to purchase the ls376/480 PCM from GM to validate the warranty? What if you plug it into a different PCM? I see that they mention changing oil pans to fit into various cars. I'm amazed that they warranty an engine that we would change the oil pick up and oil pan on? (Is that a secret way to void the warranty??)

What looks like I'd be doing is buying is, swapping the oil pan to an FBody pan, swapping the harmonic balancer to an FBody ATI unit, and running a PCM capable of controlling an LS3 (preferably not GM's unit given I can put together a harness and used PCM much cheaper than their ~$1200 package) Then I'd be taking it auto-x'ing and HPDE.

Would that still be covered under warranty? I'm having a hard time believing it would be since GM has "abuse mode" and such logging in their PCMs on factory cars.

Can anyone familiar elaborate on what would and wouldnt negate the warranty for me on this engine? Anyone perhaps with a nice link from GM describing something along the lines of what I'm talking about?

Much thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-2016, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why don't you call a dealership that sells what ever you are looking for,
that would suck for you to try to make a claim off of something someone on ls1tech said.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

IIRC, 2 yr/50K miles if a GM dealer installs the engine and 2 yr/25K miles IF installation is done elsewhere. (again IIRC). I'm not sure if this is with CPP controller kit or whatever/. Call www.paceperformance.com and ask them.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you try Google?

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...ranty-card.pdf
Old 08-10-2016, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm almost in the exact same boat as OP. I'll be getting a crate engine as well.

Any modifications will void the warranty. Also, you would need the engine installed either at a GM dealership, or an approved repair shop with proper documentation to show that the install was done at their facility. If you install it yourself, it'll only be a 30 day warranty.

However I'll most likely buy the crate engine from pace, have them break it in on their 3rd party engine dyno, and be okay with a 30 day warranty.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rsz288
Google dont help when you dont have the right search criteria. Thats why I asked here. Thanks for finding it.

Sounds to me like a crate engine basically gets a 30 day parts warranty only. Effectively, GM crate engines are only warranted if they are swapped into a car that already has an LS in it. That makes more sense to me. (though also sways me towards a low mileage pull out LS3 given Im really not getting much of a warranty)

Quick Reply: LS376/480 warranty terms?