Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Mystery L92 Pieces, x2

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Mystery L92 Pieces, x2

So, upon piecing out the L92 core engine I bought (L9H flex fuel, really), I am cleaning and preparing to carry over some things to the LS3 I am assembling. I have come across 2 pieces I could use some advice on identifying, if anybody knows. Thanks in advance.

The first one is embarrassing. It is a piece of solid steel dowel (on right in pic below). I removed this when parting the engine down, but because it was over 1 year ago, I don't remember where it came out of, or what it was for. Ugh! I suck. It does not fit the crank index on rear, or cylinder head dowel. It is smaller than either of those.

Second was in the bottom of the oil pan (left side of pic). The engine blew a piston was run until it would run no more. That piston was entirely in the oil pan of the engine of course. But upon scraping all the metal shards out, I came across a second piece I have no idea where it came from or where it goes. It is a mushroom headed looking metal piece, with a O ring on it. Looks like it would be a metal bumper of some type.

Pic below. Thanks for help if you know either of both of these parts. Again, it came from an L9H engine which is an L92 and has VVT, but no DoD/AFM.

There is a very small possibility that these are foreign objects, and were deliberately ingested via sabotage. I did find a stone in the intake manifold, so I think that may have been what destroyed the engine (insurance job or otherwise, unsure, I bought it as a rebuildable core engine). Not sure. I am not entirely LS fluent yet.

Thanks.

Last edited by FormulaBoat; 03-05-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting. The only piece I can think about that would look like that would be a broken oil diverter barbell; however, those are usually plastic unless they went with the upgraded aluminum version (highly doubtful). I will wait for some images.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pic is posted above. Neither looks like the barbell, stock or aftermarket. Worst fear is to assemble the new LS3, my first LS, and not knowing what these are or where they go, and something gets lunched.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

That piece on the left, looks similar to some tips I've had for my power steering pulley pullers.

It slides into tip of the puller and the rounded tip sits against the snout of the pulley shaft.

May not be what it is, but sure looks just like it.

I don't recognize the dowel pin either.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

That "dowel" kinda looks like a roller out of a big bearing, or the roller out of a sprague clutch..
Old 03-05-2019, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good call on the power steering pump puller piece. I knew I have seen that before, but didn't know where. The tip is worn exactly like the way it would have been used, in a pressure-twist fashion. So I'll go with that unless I hear otherwise. Creative of how it is in the bottom of the oil pan.

Just the solid steel dowel pin left now. Any takers?
Old 03-05-2019, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Picture has no size reference.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FormulaBoat
Good call on the power steering pump puller piece. I knew I have seen that before, but didn't know where. The tip is worn exactly like the way it would have been used, in a pressure-twist fashion. So I'll go with that unless I hear otherwise. Creative of how it is in the bottom of the oil pan.

Just the solid steel dowel pin left now. Any takers?
The small stem with o ring is puller like also, the o ring keeps it up in the threaded rod

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
That "dowel" kinda looks like a roller out of a big bearing, or the roller out of a sprague clutch..
That was my first thought. If it has any taper it's a bearing. If it doesn't, that could be the sprag roller
Old 03-05-2019, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

I can't imagine how either of those ever got into the oil pan, being non-engine parts. UNLESS the junkyard already had the pan off and put it back on after someone got sloppy with stray bits.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Likely. That’s all I needed, thank you. Several sets of eyes can’t place the solid dowel pin anywhere, so I am going to reject it as part of the engine as well.

Thanks all.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:50 PM
TECH Veteran

The only dowels I can picture that I've had out are head dowels and the ones for the trans.

That isn't either of those. Plus, it'd oddly clean and shiny to have been in an engine for a while. I believe the main bearing caps have dowels, but I'm not 100%. That's not really my area of expertise.