Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ls2 machine work

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls2 machine work

I just picked up my engine parts today from the machine shop and had a couple concerns. First off, I was charged extra for install of the reluctor wheel for crankshaft grinding. Do they have to remove it to grind? Also, the oil holes are not chamfered. The total for the reconditioning of the crank was $210. I also had the reciprocating assembly balanced which leads to my next question. I brought new forged pistons, scat rods,mahle rings, new balancer and flywheel/pressure plate. I can find two really small grind marks on the crankshaft and not a mark on anything else. Every non LS engine I have had balanced comes back with grind marks on the tops and bottoms of rods and maybe a piston or two has a grind. Could all my stuff be that perfectly weight matched from the factories?
Old 01-09-2017, 10:26 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by gearhead927
I just picked up my engine parts today from the machine shop and had a couple concerns. First off, I was charged extra for install of the reluctor wheel for crankshaft grinding. Do they have to remove it to grind? Also, the oil holes are not chamfered. The total for the reconditioning of the crank was $210. I also had the reciprocating assembly balanced which leads to my next question. I brought new forged pistons, scat rods,mahle rings, new balancer and flywheel/pressure plate. I can find two really small grind marks on the crankshaft and not a mark on anything else. Every non LS engine I have had balanced comes back with grind marks on the tops and bottoms of rods and maybe a piston or two has a grind. Could all my stuff be that perfectly weight matched from the factories?
I've never been charged to remove the reluctor just to grind the crank. Not really sure why it would be needed either.

I've never needed to weight match anything either. Unless you buy crap on eBay, most forged pistons and rods (and even OEM parts) are already within +/- 1g. With the amount of oil that slings around in the crankcase, coating the internal parts and adding weight, weight matching the rotating assembly to tight tolerances isn't really necessary.

Quick Reply: ls2 machine work