Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

New rebuilt 6.0 camshaft sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rebuilt 6.0 camshaft sensor problem

hey guys I have a issue I'm trying to fix and could use any help possible. I just got a new rebult 6.0 for my 04 tahoe z71 and I've got one code showing up and it's p032; camshaft sensor low bank1 and after some research it looks like the guy put a camshaft (2010 6.2 corvette cam) that doesn't have a reluctor ring on it for the sensor to read! My question is there a way around this like connecting the wires and completing the circuit or is the only option getting new cam? I've got a lot of time and money into this and will eventually get the right cam but need to no if I can get around this until I can. FYI the sensor is behind intake going into block right above cam not in front timing chain cover on both my old 5.3 and the new 6.0. Thanks

someone said that I need to get a different cam gear and timing chain cover to fix the problem but I can't understand how that would fix it being the sensor is in the rear of engine and still won't be able to read the cam.

Last edited by HOE6.0; 01-17-2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: More information
Old 01-17-2017, 12:48 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by HOE6.0
...someone said that I need to get a different cam gear and timing chain cover to fix the problem but I can't understand how that would fix it being the sensor is in the rear of engine and still won't be able to read the cam.
Gen IV engines used a cam sensor in the front cover and a different cam gear for the sensor to read from. You can leave the rear sensor in the block to keep it sealed up, but run an extension harness to the front can sensor.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
Gen IV engines used a cam sensor in the front cover and a different cam gear for the sensor to read from. You can leave the rear sensor in the block to keep it sealed up, but run an extension harness to the front can sensor.

Ok that's what he was saying to. I got it now I was confused on how it would read it I appreciate ur info a lot and I'll order the parts. Thank you
Old 01-27-2017, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Just make sure it's a cam gear that's compatible. There is a 1x gear and a 4x.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HOE6.0
Ok that's what he was saying to. I got it now I was confused on how it would read it I appreciate ur info a lot and I'll order the parts. Thank you

So so I got everything done; new front cover with cam sensor and new 1x cam gear to match my 24x crank and than the 36" harness extension. Before I did the sensor swap I had the p0342 code (low circuit bank1) and now that's it's done I have the p0343 code ( high circuit bank 1) ? Any idea what I should do first. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: New rebuilt 6.0 camshaft sensor problem