Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Why do DOD/AFM Lifters Fail?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 07:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why do DOD/AFM Lifters Fail?

I have a 2013 Silverado, 143,000 miles and it developed a very loud valvetrain "tick" all of a sudden on the road.

Knew it was DOD or rocker related, so after taking the passenger valve cover off I found the #4 intake pushrod was loose, and ~.5" lower than the rest. Rockers, and rocker stand all in good shape.The valley cover seals looked good.

So-why do they fail? Engine oil changed very regularly, very clean internals. Truck never beat on.

I'm thinking of just changing out the 8 DOD lifters and hoping it's good for another 100k. What GM part number should I use? I hear GM updated the lifters to a more reliable lifter.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2017, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Simply put, it's a more complicated lifter than the "regular" ones. And the more complicated or complex something is, the higher the likelihood is for failure. Maybe a form of Murphy's Law?
Old 03-03-2017, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've dealt with two different trucks failing, both were oil pressure to the AFM lifters. First one is my truck with a partially blocked filter screen and possibly a leaky VLOM. Second one was a friend's truck that ran low on oil due to crazy oil consumption issues (another awesome AFM side-effect). Both instances seem that oil pressure was lowered in the AFM system.

I think your best case is to replace all the AFM lifters and the VLOM and make sure the filter screen under the oil pressure sender is clean. Then check your oil often to make sure you're not consuming a lot. Or just disable AFM in the computer and deal with slightly lower fuel economy.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I doubt you'll notice any real fuel mileage difference. My wife's Suburban has DOD and the only times I've seen it in 4cyl. mode is while coasting and RARELY at steady cruise. Being a heavy truck like this with a 5.3L, it does not surprise me being in 8cyl. mode about 95% of the time. I'd rather it didn't have DOD because of the extra complexity.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

I've replaced DOD lifters atleast 3 times on GM, and once so far on a dodge.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Simply put, it's a more complicated lifter than the "regular" ones. And the more complicated or complex something is, the higher the likelihood is for failure. Maybe a form of Murphy's Law?
I agree. I should get the heads off tonight to see what the lifters are actually like.

Originally Posted by jamesr
I've dealt with two different trucks failing, both were oil pressure to the AFM lifters. First one is my truck with a partially blocked filter screen and possibly a leaky VLOM. Second one was a friend's truck that ran low on oil due to crazy oil consumption issues (another awesome AFM side-effect). Both instances seem that oil pressure was lowered in the AFM system.

I think your best case is to replace all the AFM lifters and the VLOM and make sure the filter screen under the oil pressure sender is clean. Then check your oil often to make sure you're not consuming a lot. Or just disable AFM in the computer and deal with slightly lower fuel economy.
I'll have to check that screen. I did notice all of the bolts for the valley cover were loose..... so loose that some oil was starting to leak through the gasket.

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I doubt you'll notice any real fuel mileage difference. My wife's Suburban has DOD and the only times I've seen it in 4cyl. mode is while coasting and RARELY at steady cruise. Being a heavy truck like this with a 5.3L, it does not surprise me being in 8cyl. mode about 95% of the time. I'd rather it didn't have DOD because of the extra complexity.
I'd delete it all but it needs to be back on the road asap. Hoping the cam is fine so I can put in 8 new DOD lifters and button it back together.

Originally Posted by spy2520
I've replaced DOD lifters atleast 3 times on GM, and once so far on a dodge.
At least it's not a terrible job to do, as long as they don't fail far from home.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

So far the most frustrating part is getting the exhaust manifolds away from the head to remove that row of bolts... manifold to exhaust flange is damn tight

VALVE LIFTERS - GM (12645725) should be the part number i need, correct?
Old 03-05-2017, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 89ROC-Z
At least it's not a terrible job to do, as long as they don't fail far from home.
Lifter ate the cam on the dodge.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Everything is cleaned up and ready for new parts when they come in tomorrow and Friday.

I was thinking................... if this happens again, what's stoping me from tuning out DOD/AFM in the PCM and running a longer pushrod on the lifter that failed?? I would think the failed lifter would stay pretty static as far as pushrod cup height. I could measure how long of a pushrod I would need and that cylinder should operate as normal then, correct?

Quick Reply: Why do DOD/AFM Lifters Fail?