Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L92 info info needed - newbie here

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L92 info info needed - newbie here

have kept my eyes open for an L92 for the past few months. Looking to finalize a deal on one with 34k miles, harness, ECU, oil cooler, etc.

This will be going into a 1967 Cadillac DeVille Convertible. I will probably not be able to use the stock intake. And I will go the VVT delete route.

1. What intake will work to get the lower clearance rquired?
2. What, other than a VVT delete kit is required? I assume a new cam? At least
8 new lifters? I am in the dark in that area.
3. Any other known obstacles I need to be aware of?

Thanks ahead for any input.

K
Old 03-16-2016, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Krazyolman
have kept my eyes open for an L92 for the past few months. Looking to finalize a deal on one with 34k miles, harness, ECU, oil cooler, etc.

This will be going into a 1967 Cadillac DeVille Convertible. I will probably not be able to use the stock intake. And I will go the VVT delete route.

1. What intake will work to get the lower clearance rquired?
2. What, other than a VVT delete kit is required? I assume a new cam? At least
8 new lifters? I am in the dark in that area.
3. Any other known obstacles I need to be aware of?

Thanks ahead for any input.

K
1. LS3 intake will work great.
2. Just the VVT delete kit. You can swap cams if you want. A lot will depend on your intended combo. Lifters have nothing to do with VVT, you are thinking AFM, which the L92 does not have (but a L94 does...so make sure you know what you are buying).
3. A L92 is easy to deal with. I started with one for my 70 GTO swap and basically turned one into a LS3 (but I used a LS7 cam for more power).

Look in my GTO build thread for more details (link in signature).

Andrew
Old 03-19-2016, 11:08 AM

Andrew,
Great write up as well as pics on your build.

Bad news. My L92 deal fell through. Some people have no clue as to the word integrity. Anyway, I now have an L9H spotted.

It came out of a 2010 Escalade. That makes it flex fuel capable at minimum.
What do i need to know about removing the DOD on this engine?
Is it a major operation?
If removed, do the L92 and the L9H become basically the same engine? Same heads, same power ratings, etc?
I did read the flex fuel models have larger injectors, but I am not sure that will help me as I plan on going to an LS3 intake.
Thoughts / opinion appreciated.

K
Old 03-20-2016, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Removing DOD requires the removal of the heads because the 8 DOD specific lifters must be replaced with standard lifters. If the plan is to change cams anyway, might as well replace all lifters. Some also report that engines with the DOD have a higher volume oil pump and that it should be replaced with a standard pump. Good time to install a quality Meling pump.

The L92 and L94 can essentially become a LS3 once all those bits are replaced. The LS3 does use light weight intake valves whereas the L92/94s do not.

Andrew
Old 03-21-2016, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I helped my son do the DOD kit and new cam along with new oil pump in his 09 G8 GT. I looked at the old lifters I didn't see any difference in the lifters. I know the LS7's are .050" taller. Could you tell me what the difference is with the dod lifters? I know dod don't do anything to the lifters but the afm do.

Jim
Old 03-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Teching In

I'm on the same path here... do have a 6.2 (l94) of a 2008 denali, plan is to build a granade 240sx,, will do a dod/afm delete, vvt delete and 58x to 24x reluctor swap... my question is cams?? wish one do you guy recommend? also ecu?
Old 03-08-2017, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyGTO
I helped my son do the DOD kit and new cam along with new oil pump in his 09 G8 GT. I looked at the old lifters I didn't see any difference in the lifters. I know the LS7's are .050" taller. Could you tell me what the difference is with the dod lifters? I know dod don't do anything to the lifters but the afm do.

Jim
I know the thread is buried, but just in case someone searches in the future.

Quick Reply: L92 info info needed - newbie here