Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Morel Lifter Prelaod

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Morel Lifter Prelaod

Hi guys. I'm in a bit of a bind here on my 420 LS stroker build. I am running some worked ETP tall heads with the stock rockers with trunion upgrade on the Morel lifters. The lifters call for .045 -.050 pre-load. We checked these with the push rod checker and a buddy's dial indicator and got damn close to that with 8.000 push rod checker so I ordered the 8.000 rods. Got them in and went to check them again just to verify and our numbers were not where they were or where we would like them. My buddy said was was not comfortable with the readings we were getting with his dial indicator and his set up. We took our motor to our local machine shop/engine builder who is extremely good and knowledgeable. He checked it all by hand and sight and said he'd run it because he didn't see it getting any closer and shorter would make it to noisy, so he'd rather longer than shorter, and that the hydraulic plunger would compensate. He said the intakes where around .060 and the exhaust where around .080.

My thought process is that if I were to run a .025 shorter pushrod on the exhaust, wouldn't that put it around .055-.060? So it would still be more pre-load as he'd prefer and not less, but yet still much closer to spec and the intake pre-load?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I've got an extreme amount if time I don't have and even more money I especially do not have tied up in this so I am just ready to finish this up and get her going!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:52 AM
Launching!

What model #, what's the plunger travel distance? Race or street car ? To free up some power we run our 4708's at .015/.020. and they are pretty quiet. If it was mine I'd loosen it up both int/ex.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

I believe I got a definitive answer and have resolved this issue. But to answer your question. The Morel 4708-HYD. I was told the plungers have .100 to .150 of travel. And this is a pretty aggressive street car.

Quick Reply: Morel Lifter Prelaod