Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

7.0-liter z06

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7.0-liter z06

i'm reading the Nov issue of Motor Trend mag and there is a quick clip in here about the new vette. They are talking about it being underrated from the factory. It's been rumored that it really makes 550 horses! Anyone know?
Old 11-02-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I heard that it makes SEARCH hp on the dyno
Old 11-02-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, they only make around 445-455 rwhp stock. With longtubes and tuning they can make around 500 rwhp.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:39 PM
Banned

We saw about 470+ bone stock on our dyno the other day. Will know the new numbers once she is done with the mods going on it.

Rick
Old 11-02-2005, 11:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my friend is only putting down 480 rwhp, 460 ish rwtq, and he pulled a new z06 pretty good on the freeway, in a 01 z06, with a 389 stroker ls1, mn6 tranny instead of m12 transmission, 3.42 rearend, so effectively the same gearing as the new z06, i think they are baddass, but personally not that impressed, considering all the hype.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
my friend is only putting down 480 rwhp, 460 ish rwtq, and he pulled a new z06 pretty good on the freeway, in a 01 z06, with a 389 stroker ls1, mn6 tranny instead of m12 transmission, 3.42 rearend, so effectively the same gearing as the new z06, i think they are baddass, but personally not that impressed, considering all the hype.
I'm kinda with you on the subject of this car. They are awesome, but the new Z06 is just plain expensive. GM acts so bad *** because it costs less than the viper and porche and it is right there with it. Well, sorry, I don't care who you are, $70,000 just isn't cheap. Not to mention, if you can afford this car, you can probably afford a viper or porche as well. They are nice, but the fact that dealers wont even let them go for $70k makes them less respectable. A regular vette with $20K put into it would drag a C6's nuts. Not to mention, it wont be long before you could probably have a LS7, or atleast the block, in your C6 and supporting mods for less than $20K. Just not a corvette in my mind anymore. Allthough, I wont lie, if I could have one, I would. I just would not get upset if I lost a race to a f-body, or a regular vette.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:14 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mnc2886
I'm kinda with you on the subject of this car. They are awesome, but the new Z06 is just plain expensive. GM acts so bad *** because it costs less than the viper and porche and it is right there with it. Well, sorry, I don't care who you are, $70,000 just isn't cheap. Not to mention, if you can afford this car, you can probably afford a viper or porche as well. They are nice, but the fact that dealers wont even let them go for $70k makes them less respectable. A regular vette with $20K put into it would drag a C6's nuts. Not to mention, it wont be long before you could probably have a LS7, or atleast the block, in your C6 and supporting mods for less than $20K. Just not a corvette in my mind anymore. Allthough, I wont lie, if I could have one, I would. I just would not get upset if I lost a race to a f-body, or a regular vette.

What?!? The Z06 JUST CAME OUT. It is most certainly not GM's fault that Dealerships are marking the new Z up like crazy, but unfortunately, dealerships are BUSINESSES, and for some crazy reason businesses want to make money. If you had an 06 Z, and could sell it to a guy for 80g's, or another guy for 65g's, which would you pick?!? I agree, it's not quite fair for the average consumer, but as you said ... it's too expensive for you either way, so what does it matter?

I'm also not sure if you have any clue how much work it takes to get a car to 460-480rwhp N/A, with ridiculous potential for huge power. We're talking 100rwhp from a cam/exhaust. Couple that crazy power with ridiculous handling, and you have a car that is Insanely UNDERPRICED for what it is.

And please don't tell me you're going to bring the ricer arguement "if I buy a $1,000 car and put $10,000 worth of work into it, it will be faster then you're $40,000 car ..." we all know that's just plain silly.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:41 AM
Var
On The Tree

it's so lame to compare cost to horsepower only.

What about the huge brakes
Smog legality
Warranty
Aluminum Chassis with Magnesium engine cradle.
MEAN *** LOOKS

Who the f##k cares who beat who going in a straight line. There are more to cars than that. grow up

BTW the chevy dealer in Burlingame has one selling for 105k. haha
Old 11-03-2005, 05:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree, that with not much money, the handling, and performance of the Z06 can be met by the average C6. There are already supercharger kits for the C6 that make between 500 to 600hp, then just some bear brake upgrades and you are pretty much already there! This way I can afford my $40,000 C6 and $10,000 in upgrades over a year. I cannot afford to finance a $75000 car! My dealerships here in Vegas are marking up the cars just $3000 with a preorder. Do I want to pay that, then the taxes to which comes to $75000, but like others said, yes it is probably worth it for what it is! If I could have afforded it, I would have been one of the first people in line with my $3000 extra in hand! Hell, they are already all preordered till March of next year here!

I have priced the supercharger at $6500, then Z06 chrome rims and supercar tires comes to $2200, then bear complete break upgrade, or comparible is $2200 also, and finally they have the enlarged panels that you can buy to upgrade the C6 for $1600+$600 paint, to fit the tires, all together that comes to $13,000, so I not including my interest bearings payments, that comes to $53000 total to get close to the overall performance, with no warrenty, and hoping that I don't blow up anything. Now this is close to what my freind paid to upgrade his C5 Z06 to 550rwhp. He runs 11.5 1/4s at the speedway on street tires, and has spent about $2100 upgrading the output shafts on his rear end to handle the power, otherwise, 2 years of driving like he stole it, and no problems, but then again, no warrenty.

So what it comes down to is yeah, it is worth it, but others have to go other ways about it to get that level of performance!
Old 11-03-2005, 05:28 AM
Teching In

I agree that the Z06 is a super deal. A lot of new technology went into that car. It’s a shame that some people think drag racing is the only measure of how fast a car is. It’s not. If drag racing was my only thing, then a Z06 is not worth it. An f-body does just fine there.

Look at all the races the C6R has won over this past year racing against Porche, Farrari, GTO, BMW, etc. Hell, look at how well the C5R did over the past few years! The Z06 has a lot of the technology from those legendary cars. One can not compare supping up an fbody or some other car and then beating a new Z06 on the strip. So what? It’s comparing apples to oranges.

Price is also relative. If you make it, spend it. Don’t complain that others can afford things that you can’t. That’s life.

OBTW, my new Z is coning this winter. Want a ride?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by drdarkman
i'm reading the Nov issue of Motor Trend mag and there is a quick clip in here about the new vette. They are talking about it being underrated from the factory. It's been rumored that it really makes 550 horses! Anyone know?
unless some one puts an LS7 on an engine dyno and test to FULL SAE Net standards there is no way of knowing for sure.

All rolling road dyno's are BS as a 'direct' comparison to manufactures claimed outputs. Take a Mustang dyno and a Dynojet dyno. Run the same car on both under as close to 100% the same conditions as possible and you will easily see a 20rwbhp+ difference in favour of the Dynojet.

Does this mean the car was more powerful on the dyno jet? - No!

It just means they measure torque differently giving rise to different results.

Then there's the issue of drivetrain loss. There's is no accurate way of measuring or calculating it. The best you can do is guess with a +- factor thrown in for good measure.

In addition you need to find out to what standard the rolling road dyno is correcting the results too. Equations should be used to remove atmoshperic and local variables. These are not always applied or if they are then not correctly.

Example using totally made up figures (it's the theory that's important here):

Car dyno's 480rwbhp but is factory rated at 505BHP SAE Net, so it appears to be underatted.

However this was a Dynojet rolling road dyno. They re-dyno it on a Mustang dyno. This time it makes 460rwbhp. They then correct the figures to SAE (lots of variations for equation) and loose another 10rwbhp.

So are total is now 440rwbhp.

Using a reasonbly accepted guesstimate at drivetrain loss. 12% + 10bhp

(440 / 0.88) + 10 = 510BHP

Also it's worth remembering that the manufactures quoted figure is the MINIMAL the engine should produce. This then covers them for manufacturing tolorances of x% variance. So a car claiming to produce 500BHP stock could well make another 5-15bhp on top due only to manufacturing tolorances.

With smaller engines the % is likely similar but evidently the variance in BHP will also be smaller.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgeee
I agree, that with not much money, the handling, and performance of the Z06 can be met by the average C6.
I would have to disagree with that. I'm sure you can drastically alter the C6 for the better, but with out replacing the body and chassis and every other suspension component it will not be a match.

There's more to handling than after market shocks and some big brake discs.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I would have to disagree with that. I'm sure you can drastically alter the C6 for the better, but with out replacing the body and chassis and every other suspension component it will not be a match.

Here, here!
Old 11-03-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

some zo6 envy going on in hea...
Old 11-03-2005, 10:29 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton

Although I'm not sure why you went on a rant about the dynojet vs. mustang dyno, as everyone here is well aware of the differences .... I think we finally found a statement we both agree on.

And as Blitz said ... price is relative. If you make 200g's a year, a Z06 is cheap. If you make 10,000 a year, a Z06 is expensive. Knocking a car because it's out of your price range is silly.

P.S. Putting all that money into a C6 might get you to the performance/looks of a Z06, but then again, you have no warranty, you "hope something doesn't blow up," you will not get close to the resale value (which means you will lose 90% of the money you put into modding it), and you'll have a car which has body work (painted/replaced panels, etc) which will again lower it's value.
On the other hand, you spend some more money, and you are left with none of those issues ... just a badass car, that passes inspection, you can sell for top dollar, and you can take to the dealer if something breaks.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Well said...

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
Although I'm not sure why you went on a rant about the dynojet vs. mustang dyno, as everyone here is well aware of the differences .... I think we finally found a statement we both agree on.

And as Blitz said ... price is relative. If you make 200g's a year, a Z06 is cheap. If you make 10,000 a year, a Z06 is expensive. Knocking a car because it's out of your price range is silly.

P.S. Putting all that money into a C6 might get you to the performance/looks of a Z06, but then again, you have no warranty, you "hope something doesn't blow up," you will not get close to the resale value (which means you will lose 90% of the money you put into modding it), and you'll have a car which has body work (painted/replaced panels, etc) which will again lower it's value.
On the other hand, you spend some more money, and you are left with none of those issues ... just a badass car, that passes inspection, you can sell for top dollar, and you can take to the dealer if something breaks.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

I don't anybody should be talking **** the new Z06 while expensivfe is one of the best performing cars at its price. Yeah you can pull off the **** of you can just buy a C5 Z06 mod it and beat the new one, but its the fact that you can drive that car out of the dealer put some break in miles on it and completely stock run 11 sec. 1/4 miles times. Then be able to take it to a track and run with some of Europes finest.
-Joel
Old 11-04-2005, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont understand how people can say the C6 Z06 is unimpressive. I am beating a dead horse, but 440rwhp, mid 11's out of the box, handles with the best of the exotic supercars that have released their track times for the 'ring, and it has a warranty. How can you argue with that? Unlike other cars that perform like it, you get Navigation, HUD, and many other nice amenities. This is not a bare bones, or a stripped down race car... this is a fully equipped daily driver.

This is an amazing package. I would hate to hear what you guys would have had to say about the Zr1 when it first came out, because it was a very pricey vette when it first came out.