Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 crate engine warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 crate engine warranty?

Anyone who has bought a crate engine, what warranty were you given with it?

Must it remain factory stock to keep warranty?

Can it be put in any car?

I doubt seriously if one blows up in 6 months that you can a FREE replacement, so can anyone confirm the details of the warranty they received?

Curious and thanks.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:50 AM
TECH Resident

I'm not really sure.. I think it's safe to say that we voided ours entirely though
Old 01-10-2006, 07:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GM says 12/12 on crate engines and I haven't seen anything excluding the LS7. There's the usual fine print about mis-use and modifications voiding the warranty.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Teching In

I have the warranty info right here that came with the motor and it says..

Passenger Car and light-duty trucks 12 months or 12,000 miles (which ever occurs first), parts and labor. Warranty begins on date of original sale.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Teching In

The fine print

This warranty does not cover:
.Damage due to improper installation, negligence, alteration, or accident.
.Damage due to improper use or an application that is not approved by GM; including use related to racing or competition, marine or motorcycle application, or for other non-vehicle usage.
.Damage caused by a turbo, supercharger, nitrous oxide, or similar product, which is not approved as a GM performance part or accessory
.GM Performance Parts engines where the vehicle odometer has been disconnected or the mileage reading has been altered.
.Damage caused by lack of proper maintenance as described in teh vehicle's original Maintenance Manual, failure to follow Maintenance scheudle intervals or use of the proper type and levels of fluids, fuel, oil, and lubricanteds recommended in the maintence manual. Proof of proper maintenance is the owners responsibility. keep all receipts and be prepared to make them available if questions arise about maintenance.
.Towing, rental vehicles, loss of time, inconvenience, loss of use, or other economic loss.
.GM performance parts engines installed on vehicles registered and /or normally operated ouside the US and Canada.

Thats it. Man hand hurts
Old 01-10-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

"An application that is not approved by GM"

Well I guess they could call anything "not approved"
Old 01-10-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Veteran

So basically, any modding whatsoever and its a non-warranteed engine.

I still have a feeling that if someone blows one up in 6 months, even if its bone stock, its gonna be one helluva hard time to get them to just send over another one for absolutely NO CHARGE. Because it wouldn't have been used with the same tranny, rear-end, gears, etc. like the 06' Z06 was built with. Ain't happening, I think it'll be some kind of pro-rated crap or an outta-luck issue.

So it goes back to my original question. Why on earth would anyone want a 450 RWHP LS7 crate engine when they can buy a motor (550 RWHP) that will completely, utterly, *** rape the LS7 in every way, that is stronger and built with better parts over-all (ie: pistons), from a sponsor that will be about $6,000 less when all is said and done...that comes with a 2yr/24,000 mile full warranty. Some shops offer 3yr/36,000 mile for an extra fee of about $1,500.

It can't be to just say that you have an LS7 is it?

Old 01-10-2006, 10:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
So basically, any modding whatsoever and its a non-warranteed engine.

I still have a feeling that if someone blows one up in 6 months, even if its bone stock, its gonna be one helluva hard time to get them to just send over another one for absolutely NO CHARGE. Because it wouldn't have been used with the same tranny, rear-end, gears, etc. like the 06' Z06 was built with. Ain't happening, I think it'll be some kind of pro-rated crap or an outta-luck issue.

So it goes back to my original question. Why on earth would anyone want a 450 RWHP LS7 crate engine when they can buy a motor (550 RWHP) that will completely, utterly, *** rape the LS7 in every way, that is stronger and built with better parts over-all (ie: pistons), from a sponsor that will be about $6,000 less when all is said and done...that comes with a 2yr/24,000 mile full warranty. Some shops offer 3yr/36,000 mile for an extra fee of about $1,500.

It can't be to just say that you have an LS7 is it?

Prestige, and it has a GM part number. Seriously I know it sounds funny but its true.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

that is stronger and built with better parts over-all (ie: pistons), from a sponsor that will be about $6,000 less when all is said and done
Show me the numbers using forged crank, ti rods & ti cylinder head valves!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For my situation, I doubt the $6000 figure is right. I have no parts to start with, so I'd need coils, valve covers, oil pan and clutch. I'm sure that the list is longer, but you get the point. Before I ordered the LS7, I priced an SDPC LS2-based 402 using AFR heads. All told, the price a comparable amount of parts to the LS7 was over $10,000. It was less than $3000 more the LS7 at the price I paid, so it just made sense. I know that dry sump will cost a bit more to set up, but to me it is an extra feature that is worth a few extra bucks.

As far as 450 RWHP vs 550 RWHP, cam and headers will push the LS7 over 550 RWHP with no trouble. You'd need headers no matter what motor you use. The cam is definitely less than $1000 even if you need valve springs, etc. All this probably puts me at less than $16,000, and I see that as a reasonable deal.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by John B
Show me the numbers using forged crank, ti rods & ti cylinder head valves!
There's no way the rods and crank are any better than Lunati or Callies, the lightweight issue is just something for people to talk about and to sell more of them to people who don't have a clue. Its not like they're lightweight like Formula 1 or CART cars have. They're probably a little bit lighter than a normal crank and will offer nothing measurable by way of HP. They're not gonna take more power than a Lunati or other good brand either.

The LS7 pistons are cast, what a joke I wonder who the idiot at GM was who decided to make a titanium crank and rods and use cast pistons. Cold start emmissions, I doubt it because FORD does it in the Cobra.

Titanium valves are sold for anyone to use and they're not gonna change the HUGE cost difference between an LS7 engine a sponsor built 427. These titanium parts don't offer a measurable gain in HP either. That = waste of money.

A fully built 427 is about $12,000-13,000 with 100+ more RWHP and daily drivable with a nice cam and a long full warranty.

Unless the internals are all titanium and custom made there is really no use to it.

I remain confused on all the hype.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Chris442
For my situation, I doubt the $6000 figure is right. I have no parts to start with, so I'd need coils, valve covers, oil pan and clutch. I'm sure that the list is longer, but you get the point. Before I ordered the LS7, I priced an SDPC LS2-based 402 using AFR heads. All told, the price a comparable amount of parts to the LS7 was over $10,000. It was less than $3000 more the LS7 at the price I paid, so it just made sense. I know that dry sump will cost a bit more to set up, but to me it is an extra feature that is worth a few extra bucks.

As far as 450 RWHP vs 550 RWHP, cam and headers will push the LS7 over 550 RWHP with no trouble. You'd need headers no matter what motor you use. The cam is definitely less than $1000 even if you need valve springs, etc. All this probably puts me at less than $16,000, and I see that as a reasonable deal.
Cam and headers and now you have an engine with no warranty and cheezy pistons. Thats what makes this kinda strange to me that anyone would consider it over a fully covered BETTER, CHEAPER engine from a sponsor.

Lets even say the price was even, it makes no sense to have a 550 RWHP engine with no warranty and cheezy pistons inside of it. You wanna change those and you can add about $1,000, than the labor to pull it, disassemble and do the work, $2,000 or so. Thats $17,000 right there to bring the pistons up to par. For $17,000 you can have a 427 with ETP 265/41 heads and a hogan intake a make well over 600 RWHP, with a warranty.

A sponsor built engine is all around a better choice and it will be thousands cheaper.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
Cam and headers and now you have an engine with no warranty and cheezy pistons. Thats what makes this kinda strange to me that anyone would consider it over a fully covered BETTER, CHEAPER engine from a sponsor.

Lets even say the price was even, it makes no sense to have a 550 RWHP engine with no warranty and cheezy pistons inside of it. You wanna change those and you can add about $1,000, than the labor to pull it, disassemble and do the work, $2,000 or so. Thats $17,000 right there to bring the pistons up to par. For $17,000 you can have a 427 with ETP 265/41 heads and a hogan intake a make well over 600 RWHP, with a warranty.

A sponsor built engine is all around a better choice and it will be thousands cheaper.
I don't think that the pistons are a big deal, unless you're running boost or bottle. Cam and headers is as far as I want to go with mine. How often due the cast pistons have problems in an NA motor that is tuned right? Now given the choice I'd choose forged, but cast should work fine in my application.

I paid $13k including freight for my LS7. Add a few bucks for a cam and the dry sump tank/lines, which no aftermarket motor would have, and I still think that an LS7 wins on price when you include all the parts it has on it that would need to be bought seperately.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Veteran

I don't think that the pistons are a big deal, unless you're running boost or bottle. Cam and headers is as far as I want to go with mine. How often due the cast pistons have problems in an NA motor that is tuned right? Now given the choice I'd choose forged, but cast should work fine in my application.

I paid $13k including freight for my LS7. Add a few bucks for a cam and the dry sump tank/lines, which no aftermarket motor would have, and I still think that an LS7 wins on price when you include all the parts it has on it that would need to be bought seperately.
Thats a good price, I thought SDCP was $14,000 just for the engine without shipping.

I would just hate to lose my warranty by adding a cam and headers, just bad luck for me. I'd rather have the warranty, same or more power with a fully forged 427 build from a sponsor.

Good luck with it though. Yeah, the cast pistons should be ok for you.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:05 AM
TECH Resident

Our motor was right around $12,5k from Fred Beans. I agree with Chris about the pistons.. Depends on your application. I saw no benefit for us in swapping them.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:01 AM

You still need to show me the numbers. I have over $7500 just in components for my forged LS6 347 motor.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

My complete LS2 402 (SDPC block, cam, AFR 225's, all new sensors and accessories), BMR K-member, Strange 12-bolt (w/cover), rebuilt tranny, LPE DS, upgraded fuel system (new pump, injectors, filter), QTP 1-7/8" headers/Y and a bunch of smaller parts (gaskets, motor mounts, battery, etc) cost less than $13K.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by John B
You still need to show me the numbers. I have over $7500 just in components for my forged LS6 347 motor.
What numbers? Go to all the sponsor websites and you'll see the numbers for their complete engine packages. Monster strokers are about 12-13K. 2yr/24,000 mile full warranty.

The real issue is cost (it will cost more in the end, period) and having NO warranty.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:32 PM
8 Second Club

My stock cube motor cost me right around 10 grand and that was using a used stock crank, used eagle rods, used ported heads, new diamond pistons w/ coatings, solid roller but used cam, rockers, etc. Good machine work and assembly isn't cheap. I would imagine a well-built 427 could have cost me at least 15 grand.

I think the ls7 crate motor is a pretty good deal. And cast pistons are lighter than a forged set obviously so if you're not spraying, it will rev faster and make more steam w/ the cast setup.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:56 PM

Since you refuse to do your homework and respond to my request to post prices I did the work for you. I couldn't find an exact price on the ET heads so I guessed, however, the rest of the prices are fairly representative (without sales tax or shipping and rounding off the prices) and they include ZERO dollars for any type of labor for assembly. Again, please show me the thousands of dollars of savings and where you can build an all out 427 with premium components for $12-$13K?

$3,600 MTI LS2 427 re-sleeved block
$1,600 Callies 4.0" crank
$200 Clevite HP bearings
$600 Diamond Forged Pistons
$1,300 Lunati Pro Billet Conecting Rods
$175 ARP main stud kit
$150 ARP Pro Rod bolts
$225 ARP head studs
$3,000 ET LS7 heads complete
$500 Roller Rockers
$100 Hardened pushrods
$150 LS6 oil pump ported