Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3 & L92 Info

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camarols1
I just ordered my L92 carb manifold today for $299 plus shipping.
I should have it in a few days, I will post some pics when it is in.
I ordered the L92 complete heads since the bare heads are still on backorder.
Also, I am not sure if anyone is making performance valves for this head yet.
BTW, the L92 efi truck manifold is available too for about $195.
Can't wait to get my twin turbo setup this winter!
where did you get the carb mani from?? pm me!!
Old 11-03-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry, too lazy tio read through 13 pages.. But some other info that may be of interest: The GM hybrid SUVs will also have the l92 engine for their gasoline half, mated to an allison tranny and the same transfer case as the previous gen AWD.

-Lurius
Old 11-06-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just read this whole thing and the info in this thread is great. The one thing i didnt see was if you can bolt on a set of ls6 heads onto the l92.
I know the L92 top end seems like the way to go but I already have the ls6 heads and it would be great to use them untill i got the money to do the l92 setup. i was thinking that I could use my ls6 crank with aftermarket rods and pistons so I would end up with a 376 CI ls6.
Will this work?

Thanks
John
Old 11-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Default Crate Part#?

What is the L92 Crate motor part# . already did a search
Old 11-15-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jleews6
I just read this whole thing and the info in this thread is great. The one thing i didnt see was if you can bolt on a set of ls6 heads onto the l92.
I know the L92 top end seems like the way to go but I already have the ls6 heads and it would be great to use them untill i got the money to do the l92 setup. i was thinking that I could use my ls6 crank with aftermarket rods and pistons so I would end up with a 376 CI ls6.
Will this work?

Thanks
John
yes, the LS6 heads boltup to the L92 block... i dont know about the piston clearance with the stock L92 shortblock, since my friend has a "built" shortblock... he's doing the same thing you're talking about... shortblock now, L92 topend later.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Resident

Has anyon done any porting on the exaust ide and gotten better flow #s yet? Im very interested in possibly getting a L92/carb manifold/elbow setup for my 370 blower project. How about the deck thickness? What kinda PSI/HP will they hold?
Old 11-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Teching In

I have just purchased the new L-92/LS-3 6.2 ltr block from GM and the casting and machining is PATHETIC to say the least!!! GM should be ashamed to release such garbage in quality control. I am on my third returned block from GM performance parts. Each block has come with the cylinders cast in a different position, so when the boring process was done at the factory,some of the cylinders are @.120 thick on one side and .040 on the other side!! Its as if the liners were just laid in the casting, not being held in place and then when the aluminum was cast around them, they moved. The bores are probably symetrical because they are indexed by a computer but the liners are not. Then theres the mains... You would not believe the amount of deburring that has to be done, its as if they ran the boring bar through at high speed leaving a .020 razor edge at one side of the mains.. and then they don,t even remove it! Just think they are using this block on the new high end trucks as well as...rumor has it.. the new supercharged Corvette! I don't know who is inspecting these blocks before shipping but they should be FIRED and i hope someone that has a friend of a friend that works in GM QA management reads this before they have a complete recall after these engines fail in the field. The liner was so thin on one block that if you added any power enhancment you would probably blow out the WALL.We are now on our third block and are trying to get a hold of a pre inspected block prior to shipping. Time will tell if we get a decent one to work with!!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Isn't posting in one place enough? Get over it already and buy a LS7 or Warhawk block.

Do you think the SBC had perfect wall thickness uniformity when they were producing them for 50+ years? And those were all iron blocks.

Keep it in one thread.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by klymaxr
I have just purchased the new L-92/LS-3 6.2 ltr block from GM and the casting and machining is PATHETIC to say the least!!! GM should be ashamed to release such garbage in quality control. I am on my third returned block from GM performance parts. Each block has come with the cylinders cast in a different position, so when the boring process was done at the factory,some of the cylinders are @.120 thick on one side and .040 on the other side!! Its as if the liners were just laid in the casting, not being held in place and then when the aluminum was cast around them, they moved. The bores are probably symetrical because they are indexed by a computer but the liners are not. Then theres the mains... You would not believe the amount of deburring that has to be done, its as if they ran the boring bar through at high speed leaving a .020 razor edge at one side of the mains.. and then they don,t even remove it! Just think they are using this block on the new high end trucks as well as...rumor has it.. the new supercharged Corvette! I don't know who is inspecting these blocks before shipping but they should be FIRED and i hope someone that has a friend of a friend that works in GM QA management reads this before they have a complete recall after these engines fail in the field. The liner was so thin on one block that if you added any power enhancment you would probably blow out the WALL.We are now on our third block and are trying to get a hold of a pre inspected block prior to shipping. Time will tell if we get a decent one to work with!!
Excellent info. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tmhutch

he is a spammer..... tell em to stop posting!!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
he is a spammer..... tell em to stop posting!!!!
Not just on this forum.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

why are you quoting and thanking yourself?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:22 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know if the assembled heads come with the rockers? If not seems like it would be cheaper to buy everything and put them together.

Edit: Never mind, I found it. It was on the first page of the block and heads for sale thread.

Answer: No, they don't come with the rockers.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

well this is a good thread to know lots of good info!
Old 11-24-2006, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
why are you quoting and thanking yourself?
What are you talking about? Oh wait, I get it. You are accusing me of being the same guy as klimaxr. Oke dokey. Well, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, I'm sure it would be pointless and I can see how you might think that since it's my first post. Simple reality is I just thought he posted some valuable information.

Todd
Old 11-24-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will the LS7 heads work on an L92 block? I know that because of the valve size they have to big used on big bore engines, but what's the smallest "big bore" that they will work on?
Old 11-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by GIGAPUNK
Will the LS7 heads work on an L92 block? I know that because of the valve size they have to big used on big bore engines, but what's the smallest "big bore" that they will work on?
As long as it has a 4.065 or bigger bore ull be fine.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by StreetnStrip
As long as it has a 4.065 or bigger bore ull be fine.
Not necessarily. When the valve gets to the edge of the bore you lose the flow offered by the bigger valve since it's shrouded by the cylinder wall. You'd be better off using the L92 heads or just go with an LS7 block.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by 04Yukonxl
Not necessarily. When the valve gets to the edge of the bore you lose the flow offered by the bigger valve since it's shrouded by the cylinder wall. You'd be better off using the L92 heads or just go with an LS7 block.
u are correct but I thought he was asking what the lowest bore u could go with with using stock LS7 heads. In the GM performance book it says 4.065. I have heard that there was someone do machine work on these heads so that u could use them on a smaller bore motor but I forget who it was.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:02 PM
10 Second Club

What are you talking about? Oh wait, I get it. You are accusing me of being the same guy as klimaxr. Oke dokey. Well, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, I'm sure it would be pointless and I can see how you might think that since it's my first post. Simple reality is I just thought he posted some valuable information.

Todd

dumbest and most obvious post evar!!! lol

Quick Reply: LS3 & L92 Info