Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L92 Useful information?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default L92 Useful information?

As I am looking around for some info on an 07 escalade i'm working on...I came across this...hope someone could use this....if you don't already know it.

Subject: Information on Performing an Engine Wiring Harness Modification for L92 Replacement Engines Built Without Active Fuel Management Hardware Components #06-06-04-029 - (05/09/2006)

Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2WD Models with 6.2L VORTEC GEN IV V-8 Engine (VIN 8 -- RPO L92)

Attention: 2007 Cadillac Escalades with the L92 engine built prior to April 2006 were built with Active Fuel Management™ hardware components, but disabled. Replacement L92 engines built after April 1, 2006 were built without Active Fuel Management™ hardware components and a vehicle engine wiring harness modification must be performed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When performing an engine replacement on a 2007 Cadillac Escalade model with the L92 V-8 engine that was originally equipped with Active Fuel Management™ hardware components, a wiring modification must be performed to the 5-way VLOM (valve lifter oil manifold) vehicle engine wiring harness connector.

The replacement engines will not contain Active Fuel Management™ hardware components. Perform an engine inspection; VLOM 5-way connector will be located at lifter valley rear of engine. The vehicle wiring harness branch of the VLOM 5-way connector is located and attached at the center of the vehicle cowl.

If equipped, the repair procedure outlined in this bulletin will aid technicians in the removal of the vehicle engine wiring harness branch of the VLOM 5-way connector and seal and secure the wiring back in the main vehicle engine harness.

Tools and Parts Needed
The following tools will be needed to perform the repair:

• Heat Gun (J-25070)

• Wire Cutters

• Black electrical Tape

• 1 - 1/4" diameter (small) shrink tubing cut approximately 2 ˝"

• 1- 1/2" diameter (large) shrink tubing cut approximately 2 ˝"

VLOM 5-Way Engine Harness Connector

Pin
Wire Color
Circuit No.
Function

A
Orange
Cylinder Shutoff Solenoid Control (4)

B
Gray
Cylinder Shutoff Solenoid Control (3)

C
Dark Blue
Cylinder Shutoff Solenoid Control (1)

D
Light Green/Black
Cylinder Shutoff Solenoid Control (2)

E
Pink
Ignition 1 Voltage

Locate the 5-way VLOM vehicle engine wiring harness connector. Refer to the above graphic illustration.

Cut all 5 wires as close to the VLOM 5-way connector as possible. Refer to above graphic illustration.
Apply the small heat shrink tube P/N 1235500 to circuit 1839, Pink wire only. Fold back the Pink wire separately approximately 25.4 mm (1 in) and seal the circuit individually with 1 piece of small shrink tubing cut approximately 63.5 mm (2.5 in).
Using a Heat Gun, apply hot air to shrink the tubing and allow the component to cool.
The following 4 circuits will be cut and taped together to create a separate bundle of wires out of these 4 circuits.
• Circuit 5494 Orange

• Circuit 5493 Gray

• Circuit 5491 Dark Blue

• Circuit 5492 Light Green/Black

Take the taped bundle of wires (4 circuits) and Pink wire circuit 1839 (as completed in step 3) and apply the large heat shrink tube P/N 12355005 to all 5 of these wires/circuits.
Notice: This is in effect a Heat Shrink over a Heat Shrink which isolates the 1839 Power Circuit from the Low Side Drive Circuits while effectively sealing the circuits from water intrusion.

Using the Heat Gun, apply hot air to shrink the tubing over the bundle wires and the separately sealed Pink wire.
Open the vehicle engine wiring harness conduit in order to place the shrink wrapped circuits into conduit.
With all the wire circuits tucked into the conduit, tape over the vehicle wiring harness conduit at the cowl.

......again, hope somone could use this.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it sounds like GM is not using the Active Fuel Management stuff now in the L92? Weak!!!! Damn I was hoping to get a whole L92 engine tranny combo for my S10 swap, and I was looking forward to 25+ MPG!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought GM was having problems intergrating the 6 speed trans and the active fuel managment. It was something about the programing?
Old 06-14-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huh, now they aren't using DOD?

Quick Reply: L92 Useful information?