Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

thoughts on mods for C6

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thoughts on mods for C6

Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions.
My basic goal is to have over 450 RWHP NA while maintaining a good fat torque curve. I'd like to run low/mid 11's in the 1/4. The car is a 50% daily driver with about 50 miles total daily commute in Houston heat and traffic, to / from downtown. Then I figure I'll get some traction and run a 100 or 150 shot for the 10's next year

Baseline Dyno at MTI
342/342

first round: Starting off with LT headers and CAI:
I think Kooks are probably the best header available for the c6 and I'm looking into various CAI. Actually had the CAI on order from LPE, but I cancelled it.

I'm thinking I should get 25 or 30 rwhp from this.

2nd round: Next step I think would be CAM. Initially thinking 224/224 581/581 114 LSA. I hear I need to go on the mild side because the 06 vette's pcm is sensitive.
At this time, I would also do the 160 thermostat and an UD pully.

I'm also concidering new heads at this time, but I am not sure which route to take. Any one with an LS2 have some experience here? Heads may not even be worth it, bang for the buck, if I'm not going forced induction

I'll also get a dyno tune after the work on the engine. I've been trying to find out some good information, but have conflicting data on whether or not the tuners can get around the TM. The tuners can at least set my afr, shift points and timing, correct?

3rd round: Exhaust note and drive train
Like a good catback system with agressive note and no drone.
After the TM can be tuned out of or at least controlled in the a6, then I'd like to put in a tc that will still make the the car usable as a daily driver and probably 3.73 gears. I don't know much about automatics and TC's yet, I've been driving standards (svt cobra) for the last 7 years.

What do you guys think, am I missing anything obvious? Am I over ambitious in my expectations for these mods?

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-06-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should be fine with the right cam. Maybe F13 etc, dont worry about the PCM if you are getting it tuned, it will be fine.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:00 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd go with LGM headers as I think you will see more tq.

As for a cam, do you want stealth or a bit of chop?

For CAI, I think the Callaway Honker.

For heads, a set of AFR's milled just a bit to bump CR.

You have access to MTI being from Houston. Jayson can tune your LS2 just as well as any LS1 out there.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by J-Rod
I'd go with LGM headers as I think you will see more tq.

As for a cam, do you want stealth or a bit of chop?

For CAI, I think the Callaway Honker.

For heads, a set of AFR's milled just a bit to bump CR.

You have access to MTI being from Houston. Jayson can tune your LS2 just as well as any LS1 out there.
It is a daily driver, or pretty close to it, so nothing too wild on the CAM, but I don't mind a bit of a shake at idle, in fact, I want to be able to tell it's got a cam in it at idle. :-)
So, what CAM would you suggest there?

I am getting the callaway CAI from MTI, the 160 thermo and a tune this week from MTI.

Then I'm going to do headers in another month or two. Then CAM it a few months after that
Old 07-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by c6_dave
It is a daily driver, or pretty close to it, so nothing too wild on the CAM, but I don't mind a bit of a shake at idle, in fact, I want to be able to tell it's got a cam in it at idle. :-)
So, what CAM would you suggest there?

I am getting the callaway CAI from MTI, the 160 thermo and a tune this week from MTI.

Then I'm going to do headers in another month or two. Then CAM it a few months after that
I put on the Kooks 1.75" and a small cam (actually because I was thinking blower for a while), and with headers, Haltech Stinger and magnaflow exhaust, a 224/228 .581/.588 114lsa picked up 35rwhp with just the addition of the cam, stock heads Comp 918 springs. Keep idle low and no street problems at all. I actually like the sound of this cam better than the bigger ones at hot idle because it has such a nice lope, although that's shot with my new cam.

The ECM can be tuned on a '06 as well as the '05, but the TCM for the A6 is still a bit of a mystery, although tuners are able to do some stuff with it now.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks, BigRon. How's that new cam working out? the the 224/228 netted you 35 rwhp... what did the new one do?
Old 07-09-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd call a couple of the sponsors on this site. If MTI is close, I'd start with them. Camshaft and cylinder heads work together.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

if you want 450hp
stage 1 would be LGM ceramic coated headers, and vararam snake charmer(get the newest version that doesn't sux ballz). Get chris harris(think that's his name), to port your stock intake.
should get you close to 385-395hp with a tune. Run that for a bit to determine if you need more. Given you can drive, that should be high 11's there.
stage II-- to get 450hp, AFR 205 heads or the new Patriot Preditor heads if you wanna save a bit of $$$. I really like patriot products, so I might think about this in future for my car. Cam 228/230 114 cam IMO would be about perfect for area under curve with this combo and LS2. Some say 228/228, some say 224/228, but IMO the slight added displacement of the LS2 and the crappier intake I think would benefit by the 228/230 cam. If you went 112 lsa you'd have a bit more torque down low, but at expense of idle quality, MPG, and possible bucking surging depending on how competent your tuner is. That combo with above parts should be good for around 450hp. Given traction that's a legitimate mid 11 sec car.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by c6_dave
Thanks, BigRon. How's that new cam working out? the the 224/228 netted you 35 rwhp... what did the new one do?
Not sure yet...all the stuff listed in my signature (other than the Kooks already on the car) goes in first week in August.

I can tell you that a 6spd car went with the same setup I have listed in my sig (except with a Haltech Stinger) and put down 493rwhp with a surprisingly good area under the curve. Thing ran like a beast.

General consensus is that the new cam should net 50-55hp, but it's not the most street friendly cam. You can drive it, but you better like a 1000rpm idle and a lot of shaking, which I do!!!!!!1

MTI is definitely good in the Houston area, and HPE I've heard does some good work. In Dallas, I use 21st Century Muscle Cars (Lingenfelter dealer) and LG Motorsports is good.

Good luck! I will say that Livernois motorsports told me that the LS2s respond better to a non-split duration cam...but I see much fewer of those going in than split. Only thing for sure is these motors respond very well to lots of air!
Old 07-13-2006, 01:41 AM
TECH Regular

When is comes to tuning the C6's Ls2/Ls7's HPtuners allows for pretty much any changes you want.
From simple things like skip shift delete, torque Management removal, to more advanced things like MAF retuning, LT & FT changes, WOT adjustments, etc. The list goes on and on.
If your tuner is using HPtuners and is missing something have them update to the latest build and make sure they don't lock the tune (just incase you go somewhere else at a later date).

Now if you go with a predator unit... thats a can'd tune that doesn't do so well for heavily modified vehicles (its basicly a tweaked tune for a stock motor). Some companies offer custom tunes through the pred via mail order... RWTD comes to mind (vendor on the right).

Headers:
LG's 1 3/4 LT's for the velocity even if you add a SC later on.
Heck if there good enough for LG's 600+ rwhp LS7 then they should be good enough for a tweaked LS2.

Cat back I'm not sure as I haven't listened to alot of the units for the Vette's (probably cause I've been busy looking at the goats cat back units).

What I can't get over is how many 90 and 180 degree bends are in the C5/C6 exhaust systems.

Cam:
A good 224/224 with a 112 to 114 LSA should give decent power while giving just enough of a lump lump under to hood for others to know it's cam'd.
If you go with a small cam you can match it up with having your stock heads port'd out to a stage 1 or stage 2. I'ld suggest going ahead and going to a set of springs that can handle .600 lift (comp 918's seem to stay on the list of .600" capable beehives to have).

Little Extra's that can add power...
Get the manifold port match'd to the heads and get the TB port'd and polished. There is also a 1/2 in spacer that can be added between the TB and the manifold (add just a little more volume to the manifold)... I've been thinking about that spacer for my Goat since I'm going to have the manifold and TB work done soon.

Oh well back to work solving corporate Pc issue's.... blah
Old 07-13-2006, 06:55 AM
TECH Regular

Pick your heads first then match with a cam.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys.

The mods have begun. So far, I've got a dyno tune, a calloway CAI and a 160 thermo for keeping the car under 200 degrees.

Putting out 355 to the wheels now.

I am leaning towards a 150 wetshot, using the NX MAF kit now, but still plan on doing at least headers. May still go with C. H. & I. later on this year to beef it up more NA, then it should be a pretty solid car with the 150 wet shot added on top of that. Thinking, optimistically, maybe close to 550 or 575 to the wheels.

Quick Reply: thoughts on mods for C6