Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 Valve Spring/Retainer Options...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arrow LS7 Valve Spring/Retainer Options...

Simply put, I'm looking for some valve springs and retainers to go into my LS7 heads. The valves that will be used are GM titanium LS7 intake valves and GM LS7 sodium filled exhaust valve, or a solid stainless version with identical dimenions. Not sure of the cam specs yet, but the spring should have a .700" max lift, and should be able to handle a radical lobe(XE-R) and around 7000rpm. I plan on having the spring seats in the heads machined out to 1.450" to fit a big spring in there. So far the only springs I have considered are the Katech PSI springs. However, I am interested to see if there are more "universal" springs and retainers out there that will work, like something that comes from Comp or Crane. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone?
Old 07-27-2006, 07:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Simply put, I'm looking for some valve springs and retainers to go into my LS7 heads. The valves that will be used are GM titanium LS7 intake valves and GM LS7 sodium filled exhaust valve, or a solid stainless version with identical dimenions. Not sure of the cam specs yet, but the spring should have a .700" max lift, and should be able to handle a radical lobe(XE-R) and around 7000rpm. I plan on having the spring seats in the heads machined out to 1.450" to fit a big spring in there. So far the only springs I have considered are the Katech PSI springs. However, I am interested to see if there are more "universal" springs and retainers out there that will work, like something that comes from Comp or Crane. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Consider weight. Those PSI springs we sell weigh 68g and they are a beehive which keeps the weight at the top (where the most movement is) minimal. The titanium retainers weigh only 5.5g. They also fit into the stock valve pocket with no machining necessary. We like to keep valvetrain light for control and durability. We spent a lot of time on our optron valvetrain dynamics test cell to find the right combination for our LS7 crate engine packages.

Last edited by Katech_Jason; 07-27-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

0.700 lift is quite a lot for a general purpose beehive spring. We offer a couple in that size but most are for 0.650 or lower lifts. We have made a dual spring thats fits the 1.300 LS pocket for Ferrea and it is an excellent spring. There are more choices when you make the pocket larger but that much lift is still large for a single spring.

Quick Reply: LS7 Valve Spring/Retainer Options...