Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 LS7 CAD Model

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 07:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Some one had it a couple years ago. I had a rendered image as my wall paper for a while.

It was a Vette motor that included the fuel rail covers, coil packs and wires.

I'm not sure who posted it but it had to have been the complete CAD data.

I'll post a link to the image when I get home, maybe some one will recognize it.

Rampant
Old 10-05-2006, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

This is the rendered image I uploaded a while ago.

So some one had it.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was done on SolidWorks. It would be a huge file to try and transfer over the internet, it would be better to transfer on a network path.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the Image of the LS6 Engine.
It looks like a Solidworks file.....
You never known we are one small step closer
Good work!
Old 10-20-2006, 11:53 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Bradbury
Thank you for the Image of the LS6 Engine.
It looks like a Solidworks file.....
You never known we are one small step closer
Good work!
Is this you???

http://members.iquest.net/~aca/ If so...you need to share updates because that's just an AWESOME project.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are a SEMA member you can download the actual GM renderings in the "SEMA Technology Transfer Section" in their OEM section
of their web site. There are all kinds of models there that one would find pretty helpful.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ProdriveMS
The only companies in possession of that cad data are GM, certain GM suppliers, and companies that took the time and endured the expense to reverse engineer the block. That cad data cost a lot of money to create or obtain and none of them are going to give it away for free.

I wish you luck in your search, but I think your best best is to buy a plastic replica and physically mock up the assembly.

Al
You are right ..... No luck so far. I tryed the people that make the plastic replica's They do not have made data they make the mold from casting around the real part and then blow mold the part in plastic. If GM would save the assembly as a part you could get all the mounting locations and water line locations without having access to the technical details

Philip
Old 11-16-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bradbury
If GM would save the assembly as a part you could get all the mounting locations and water line locations without having access to the technical details
Yeah, all we want is a block of the block
Old 11-17-2006, 03:47 AM
Launching!

The rendered image comes from these guys http://www.spectrum5racing.com/ who work together with these guys http://www.brammo.com/index.php?opti...=28&Itemid=109

I tried to get a copy of the 3D file from them ages ago for my project but they said GM had guys stationed outside their offices waiting to kill them if they gave it out. I posted all over the web @ the time and was unable to dig one up.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crafty888
The rendered image comes from these guys http://www.spectrum5racing.com/ who work together with these guys http://www.brammo.com/index.php?opti...=28&Itemid=109

I tried to get a copy of the 3D file from them ages ago for my project but they said GM had guys stationed outside their offices waiting to kill them if they gave it out. I posted all over the web @ the time and was unable to dig one up.
Interesting.... you can see the custom headers in the rendering. GM would do a lot better if they worked with there customers. We purchased the engines and are just trying to make the best mounting system we can. It is possible to make a CAD file that will only provide out side features of the engine.

Thanks Philip
Old 11-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Hello Smart man crafty888

I call Kurt at Spectrum. You are correct they use the model to get tuned exhaust work and are not interested sharing that information. I respect there descision. We purchased six LS6 engines this year I will have to find the GM contact. I no the numbers are small but we need to keep moving forward.

Thanks for your help..
Old 11-28-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

I just read through the Spectrum5 site's Ultima GTR build.. and if any of you want to see/read some cool ****, I would highly suggest you go there. In excess of 1500hp with only 15 lbs of boost on a 348" Chevy SB. 4.125" Bore and 3.125" Stroke. Crazy ****, the motor is built with a crower rotating ***'y that is designed to spin to 10k rpm.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Make sure you check out Jeff Schwartz's TT GTR - http://www.schwartzperformance.com/alien.htm - he put together the Magnacharged LS2 for my GTR...

Old 11-29-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bradbury,

All you have to do to get the CAD files is become a SEMA member and request the cad files. Isn't that hard at all to get them. Unless your trying to do it without paying for it. I'm a SEMA member throught the company I work for.
The company you work for should be glad to pay for a SEMA membership and save thousands on reverse engineering.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

I saw your airplane at oshkosh in '05. Then i lost yer buissness card and couldn't find you on the internet for linke a couple months. How are you coming on the plane.
If I remember right yall were planning on a 400 mph top speed at altitude.

My advise is don't over price the plane above the Legacy. LSX motors are cheep and a plans built option would be nice........lol
Old 12-08-2006, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Make sure you check out Jeff Schwartz's TT GTR - http://www.schwartzperformance.com/alien.htm - he put together the Magnacharged LS2 for my GTR...

Great looking setup
Thanks for the web link
Hope this works and you can see the rendering
Attached Thumbnails LS2 LS7 CAD Model-cowling-assembly.jpg  
Old 01-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Thread back from the dead!

Anyone have any luck securing a LSx CAD model through their SEMA association?

I'm an engineer by day, but also have a racecar hobby at home. My current project is shoehorning an LS2 into my old BMW. I have my drivetrain and the car gutted, and I have also taken many measurements to roughly reverse-engineer my engine bay. I'd like to layout my engine mounts and headers in CAD before I cut metal... but I really need an external model of a LSx to do that!

I'm not doing this for money in any sense, I'll just be racing the car as an amateur in vintage rallies, trackdays, and autocrosses...

Can anyone help? Any suggestions or leads?

I'm thinking of trying to get a SEMA membership for $350 and saying I do this for a living just to get the file, but for that much I could just buy one of those mock-up plastic LSx engines from P-Ayr. Given that I have all this time in my engine bay, steering, and subframe model, it would really be a shame to throw that away...
Old 01-16-2008, 01:30 AM
Launching!

Right here:

http://www.spectrum5racing.com/Proje.../UltimaLS6.htm

SolidWorks eDrawing file format though so you can only view it.

If you can figure out how to covert it into a format where it can be actually opened and edited in SolidWorks, let me know.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Have you tried changing the extension to a .sldprt file and see if it works? It probably won't, but it would only take a minute to try.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

eDrawings are basically PDF files. There is no 3D data in eDrawings or PDF files.

I work for a supplier and it's hard enough getting the data we need.

Again, good luck with your search. Maybe the Sema thing is the best option if you are looking to make CAD drawings for adapters or what ever. If not then the plastic block will save you time.

Quick Reply: LS2 LS7 CAD Model