Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L92 or LS7 block? What heads/intake? Need to make a decision.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 06:37 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default L92 or LS7 block? What heads/intake? Need to make a decision.

I thought I had my heart set on the L92 block, but I read recently that the LS7 block is going to come down in cost. Its currently just over $3000 for a bare block as opposed to the L92 at $1300. Big difference in price. However, if the price of the LS7 comes down, lets say $1000 or more, then it will definately be worth the money. The problem here is, no one knows how much or when it will drop. That also affects my decision as I'm ready to start building my engine as soon as I can decide.

So let's say that the block comes down and is reasonable in price. I put a 4" crank it in for a 427 cu. in. motor. Being that it comes with a 4.125" bore from the factory, what heads whether it be GM or aftermarket, would best suit a naturally aspirated setup? What intake would best compliment it. A custom sheet metal is out of the question for me right now because by the time I buy everything else, I won't have the money for it. What all intakes will work with the LS7 heads? When you guys talk LS7 heads, are you talking about GM LS7 heads or aftermarket LS7 heads? If my memory is correct, the LS7 heads have a retangular port as the L92 heads do, so then the LS7 intake will be the only intake that will fit the LS7 heads.

If I did a L92 block and a 4" crank, that would put me at 415 cu in. The L92 block still gives me a 4"+ bore at 4.065" from the factory. So there again, what heads whether it would be a GM head or aftermarket, would best suit it? Then of course what intake. The L92 heads combined with the L76 intake seems to be a pretty popular ticket right now, but the availability sucks at this point and being that its such a new part, no one has any numbers to put out such as, flow, power, and track times. Nor, have they been out long enough for aftermarket companies or anyone for that matter to improve them.

Either block I decide, I then need to decide on a head, then lastly, an intake. I want a naturally aspirated engine. I haven't decided between a hydraulic or solid roller setup. With the numbers and products out right now, I'm not even sure its worth the extra work for a few extra hp that you get when going solid roller. It would be nice to put a combo/engine together and leave it alone as opposed to having to check/adjust the lash on almost every pass down the track.

I duno...I'm getting impatient with the L92/L76 combo. If I decided to just forget about that combo because I'm wanting to build something NOW, please give me suggestions as to what you think would best suit either a L92 415 cu. in. motor or a LS7 427 cu. in. motor as far as heads and intake combo.

Thanks in advance and any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Dragaholic; 10-24-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LS7>L92, it's as easy as that. If you can afford the LS7 parts, the choice should be easy. More cubes, better heads, better intake ='s more power. The only company that has aftermarket LS7's is ET. If you can afford them, great, if not, I doubt you'll be giving up more than a little bit of exaust flow to the GM's. In this scenario, it's a no brainer in my eye's.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Build your bottom end around the heads you want to run. Since heads are the single most expensive thing associated with the motor, and in this case the heads dictate what size bore you can run pick what head you want first.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

no offense, but a lot of your questions can be answered with search... that said;

why don't you just get a dry resleeved LS1 block. you can get one for 2500 or less. ls7 and l92 both look to be great heads, the only question right now is how good the L92 intake is going to be. the LS7 intake is CHEAP.

a solid roller setup for the L92 or LS7 is going to be expensive because the jesel rockers are something like 1200.

an ls7 intake will only fit an ls7 head and an l92 intake will only fit an l92 head.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 383ss
no offense, but a lot of your questions can be answered with search... that said;
If you think this is bad, you should visit the texas sction sometime
Old 10-25-2006, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

sleeved LS1 block, LS7 heads, carbed intake = you with a perma-smile/hardon
Old 10-25-2006, 08:51 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beast96Z, I knew that the LS7 block has more cubes for the fact that it has a bigger bore, that's obvious. But I wasn't aware that it has better heads and intake. So when people hear speak of LS7 heads are they talking aboug GM heads or ETP's LS7 heads? Are you saying that ETPs LS7 heads are much better than GM's LS7 heads?

DONAIMIAN, that is a very good strategy. However, it really wouldn't apply to me because I'm either going to use a L92 block or LS7 depending on how much it comes down in price. I really didn't want to do a resleeved block because I don't want to run into any problems. I've heard/read horror stories about resleeving.

383ss, I didn't want to go with a resleeved block for the fact that I've read/heard horror stories about resleeving blocks. How cheap is the LS7 intake and how does it compare to aftermarket intakes? I'm not sure if LS1 rockers will fit on the L92 or LS7 heads, but there are other options for rocker arms besides the Jesels. For instance, the T&D rocker arms are really nice.

Cop Car, again, I've heard/read horror stories about resleeved blocks. What carb style intake will work with the LS7 heads and when you refer to the LS7 heads are you talking about GM's or ETP's? What throttle body would I use on this carb intake you talk about?

Quick Reply: L92 or LS7 block? What heads/intake? Need to make a decision.