Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS6 heads "243's".. Can they be fixed???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Default LS6 heads "243's".. Can they be fixed???

Man.... i am sick...
Guess a valve hung open and met up with Mr. Piston...

Can they be saved in your opinion?
I have already purchased some LS2's from an 06 GTO...

These are Stage 1 ported with the
Patriot duals...

Are they junk??? any interest??
Let me know... They have approx. 4K on them....

Thanks..
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-11-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like a paperweight to me
Old 11-11-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Say goodnight Gracie. You can get stage 1 243's brand new for $900.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Launching!

with the prices i've seen for used 243's and the deals Patriot has had lately i wouldnt even look into fixing them.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to see this.
Were the valves stock lightweight LS6 units or aftermarket stainless valves? Hard to tell why the failure occured without further inspection. My guess is it would take about $250.00 in labor to fix. Just as important, it would help to understand what failed.........

Good luck,

Richard
Old 11-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Banned

Yeah - looks like about $300 in damage for labor, then $5 for two seats maybe a guide and a couple valves.

And for future knowledge - NEVER use a rol-lock or scotch-brite pad to clean a gasket surface like those have been.

I'll give you $200

Last edited by machinistone; 11-12-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few years ago I acquired some warranty heads that were as least as grim as yours.

They were repaired and were also were milled & machined for larger valves at Cornett Machine in Somerset, Kentucky.

They're on my truck now and have been problem free for quite a while.

If you can't find someone local to do the work, call 606-678-5163 and ask for David. You'll find his prices and work quality excellent.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=And for future knowledge - NEVER use a rol-lock or scotch-brite pad to clean a gasket surface like those have been.

I'll give you $200[/QUOTE]
Hi Folks
why not - does it do damage to the surface or what?
thanks
Bill
Old 11-12-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bill's 02 Z-28 SS
Hi Folks
why not - does it do damage to the surface or what?
thanks
Bill
it creates hi and low spots in the deck surface and all the dust from the roloc disc can get in the oil and it just eats bearings like crazy
Old 11-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Banned

What fast98 said...

The gasket will not seal, or at least for not very long - especially with MLS gaskets that require a very flat and very fine surface finish.

For aluminum heads that you want to reuse without surfacing that have been measured and have less than .002" warp, carefully scrape any gasket material off with a putty knife(this can be done without scratching the surface if you take your time getting the feel for it.) Then look the surface over for any dings or indentation(brinelling) around the fire-ring...if everything looks good and there is just crud left, use a hand held brillo pad with some wd-40 and lightly wipe the surface until it is clean. If you can feel ridges or catch your fingernail on a surface that uses an MLS gasket - it needs to be machined.

For cast iron deck surfaces, a metal wire-wheel will take anything off without damaging the deck, the wire-wheel is not an abrasive like a rol-lock or scotch-brite disc on your air tool.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Well.... Guess i can shed a little light...
Let's go back in time...

Purchased the heads from my brother ( off his 03 Z06).. Was planning on sending them to TSP to be ported...Well, i met a local guy.. he seemed knowledgeable regarding "hand head porting".. so i gave the heads to him to save a little $$.. "First Mistake on my part".. Had them installed, they worked GREAT, Flowed well... NO problems,,, My A4 made over 400rwhp with cam and other bolt on's...

I got greedy.. wasn't enough.. The same guy offered me a smokin deal on a FAST 90/90.. He also said he would help me install it,, "Second Mistake"...
We get it bolted up, fire it up and "clank,clank,clunk,clunk...

I have my car towed to a local shop that i have always used... told them what happened, they pull the valve covers, look inside the head, nothing.. Then they blow compressed air in to the head and it blows the lid off of my radiator.. they pull the head and there it is.. a nut smashed, and mangled... block is cracked.. head is a little scarred up.. Nothing like now...

FAST FORWARD,,,
The shop had my block "resleeved" "Third mistake".. and had my heads fixed resurfaced... and for the next couple of months i have an overheating problem,, SO... i replace my radiator,thermostat X2, Water pump, check relays,fans... Car still runs hot... i call the shop and go by several times.. Finally, they agree... pull the heads and guess what??? The block was leaking @ the re-sleeve... just as i suspected..

So... after going round and round, finger pointing etc... The shop agreed to rebuild @ NO cost to me other than gaskets.. ( i agreed)..

2 and a half weeks later my car is ready.. i go to pick it up.. it has an idle problem... Nothing major, just surging ( Did not have this prior to going in)..

I reluctantly take my car... 3 days later i call and ask if i can come in and have it "retuned"... I am told to come in the following week...

2 days later, i am driving along @ 65mph and my car dies... it just dies... NO knocks,pings nothing!! I pop my hood and notice coolant vapor coming from my air lid.. and coolant dripping from my intake bypass...

I call the shop and they tell me to try to crank it... I do.. it will turn over but NOT crank....??? I call a wrecker... and 4 hrs later my car is @ the shop..

One of the techs come out... crank it and it is knocking like crazy... "Listen,, i know alot of you call BS!!! But i swear,, i am an older guy... over 40, VERY **** about my car...!! and it NEVER made ANY noise @ all when i had it...

Anyway ... the owner's are @ lunch... so i walk to a place to eat... I come back approx. an hour later.. and they tell me my car is LOCKED UP!!!! The motor is LOCKED UP!!! They pull the valve covers and you see the end result.. I was told that the springs had too much seat pressure which caused the valve to stay open and hit the piston...

As not to bore you anymore... I was given a quote to fix it... OVER $3K...!!
I just spent over $2K previously for MY mistake with the intake!!

So... i trailered my car home and it is currently sitting in my garage awaiting a new heart transplant...

OH well... YOU asked...

Am getting ready to buy a GTO for my daily driver and clean up my Z28 and rebuild her.... Don't know which shop yet.. As i am VERY leary now... I TRULY trusted these guys... But i don't buy the whole "spring thing"...

I don't know... MAYBE that was it...??

Thanks for listening...

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Sorry to see this.
Were the valves stock lightweight LS6 units or aftermarket stainless valves? Hard to tell why the failure occured without further inspection. My guess is it would take about $250.00 in labor to fix. Just as important, it would help to understand what failed.........

Good luck,

Richard
Old 11-12-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PewterY2KZ28
I was told that the springs had too much seat pressure which caused the valve to stay open and hit the piston...
Not enough spring pressure maybe. The more spring pressure it has, the faster/better the valve will close.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes Greg.. Maybe that was it...

Originally Posted by Greg Fell
Not enough spring pressure maybe. The more spring pressure it has, the faster/better the valve will close.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

what kind of springs are they? what cam did you have? how high did you turn the motor?
Old 11-12-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

what kind of springs are they? what cam did you have? how high did you turn the motor?
patriot duals says so in his first post
Old 11-12-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Patriot Duals... Comp 232/236 595 601 114...
Car is a stalled A4... I had the car for 1 week... was still breaking it in.. I NEVER took it over 3500 rpm....!!

Also.. Look @ the heads closely... OIL!!!????

I am dumbfounded....

Old 11-12-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think you should deal with an LS1 specific shop from now on. Where in texas are you?
Old 11-12-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

ouch that sucks,
Old 11-15-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
I think you should deal with an LS1 specific shop from now on. Where in texas are you?

I DID... A very well known shop in the DFW area.... I'll Not name names on the board....

Call it a "lesson learned"....

I am just North of Dallas...
Old 11-16-2006, 08:40 AM
FormerVendor

If you would like, send the heads to us and we can give you a price on fixing the heads or offer other options.

Quick Reply: LS6 heads "243's".. Can they be fixed???