Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Planning an LS7 build soon, opinions and comments welcome

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning an LS7 build soon, opinions and comments welcome

I've started accumulating parts for my "winter project" and would like to hear from you guys about where to get my short block and what you think is the best "bang for the buck" rotating assembly for it.
I am leaning toward a Callies crank and compstar rods, but am not sure of what pistons to get. As this is going to be a strictly N/A motor, I would prefer the lightest/strongest ones available at a decent price. (Wiseco, Diamond, Mahle, JE, etc.) I have already bought a set of new AFR 225's,(part #1630, 72cc chambers), and plan on getting them worked and milled to get the SCR up to 11.75 or so. I have also bought a set of ARH 1-7/8" LT's with the 3" off-road x-pipe to replace my 1-3/4" Dynatechs with. I already have a Fast 90/ LS2 set-up currently on my H/C LS6 that I plan on using on the new motor.
I'm also looking for input on cam selection, and have talked to my cylinder head guy, (Pete, formerly of CNC cylinder heads in FL) and he is willing to help me in selection a good all-around cam, but I have my own ideas on what I think would work. ( Comp XE-R, somewhere in the 246/254, .630-.650 lift, 112 LSA range) My car is not a DD, and will only see occasional track duty, (1/4 mile 4-6 time a year and a couple of road course events a season)
I have already spent the money to beef up the drive train, so now I feel its time for more power/cubes. I was originally going to go with a 416 stroker, but the LS7 short blocks are only about 1k more so I am leaning in that direction. I am hoping for at least 550/500 to the tires, but more would be good! (after all, there is no such thing as too much HP)
Vendors I am considering for the short block are: SDPC, HKE, TSP.
Any comments, advice and suggestions would be very welcome. TIA

Jimbo
Old 08-13-2007, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

TTT,,,,Anyone have any input?
Old 08-13-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

IMO run the LS7 heads/titanium intake valves/LS7 intake so the power won't fall off beyond 6800rpm (FAST90 hits a wall at that point). Bigger cam as well combined with a very light clutch/flywheel setup. That should rev like a madman. Lose some bottom end power for an insane mid/top powerband.

I've had fantastic service and good pricing from TSP. Knowledgeable shop.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

Stock LS7 Titanium rods aren't bad at all. Really, if you're going N/A and not using nitrous, I don't see a whole lot of reason to spend money on a new rotating assy. The LS7 is miles ahead of most of the LSx motors in terms of what it's got in there. The crank is already forged, the rods are titanium, the pistons are cast aluminum (as opposed to the hypereutectic most of us have). In short, it's already a great, lightweight rotating assy, especially for a N/A build. I really wouldn't do anything unless you were planning on lots of nitrous or boost later on. If you really want to change something in there, it ought to be the pistons. Rods and crank are great.

LS7 heads with all the lightweight stuff are a must. They flow great, too. I agree with gnx7 there . Also agree about the light clutch/flywheel, it would compliment the LS7 internals great.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a big chice whether to go stock pistons or not... the GM Ti rods are only available preassembled to the stock GM pistons - so be prepared for extra costs either way if you insist on using the Ti rods.

But you cannot easily beat the LS7 throttle body/intake/heads combo for the price. This combo flows more than the "latest greatest" aftermarket cobmos and cost buckets less money as you don't have to use aftermarket throttle body and intake.

As pointed out these things never really stop making power, so combine with a top-heavy cam and create a revving power monster
Old 08-15-2007, 09:00 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the input everyone! Keep it coming!

Jimbo
Old 08-15-2007, 02:56 PM
DBN
TECH Enthusiast

It sounds like you are going about your build-up in the correct sequence. Drivetrain then power. Since you are starting from scratch on the engine, I would not use cathedral port heads and FAST intake. The factory GM LS7 crate engine is a good way to go except you would need to change the camshaft for sure. The cam specs that you have listed are pretty big, but should work well with a manual trans. The ARH headers are a great piece for this combination. The only problem that I see with the GM LS7 swap into your car is the dry sump oil system. I went with a total build-up using a resleeved LS2 block and ETP LS7 heads along with GM LS7 intake and TB. I am running less compression than you listed and less camshaft as my car is driven weekly and drag raced as well and is an A4. So far I have run a best of 10.13 and 135 mph. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

The crate motors (if going that way) do not come at dry sump systems. The dry sump is a C6 Z06 component, not an LS7 pre-requisate.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got a wet sump LS7. Built by LME. Wiseco, Eagle, Callies and ported heads, but stock intake and TB. It doesn't have to be a dry sump.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

I also have a build up ls-7 dry sump with callies compstar rods and crank ,Mahale pistons ,ati balancer, comp cam,Modifed GM ls-7 performance intake. modifed rocker arms and heads build by Wegner motorsports
Old 08-15-2007, 11:39 PM
BA.
Teching In

SSDave and DB Z28, did you guys use an LS7 block or a bored/stroked LS2?

Dave, did you use the 'hyphen' on purpose to denote such?

Great thread by the way, it is EXACTLY where I am in my build right now. Jimbo, we're on the same page man! I just want a real lopey, rump-rump cam on mine!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:13 AM
Staging Lane

I have a stock ls-7 block in mine
Old 08-16-2007, 08:15 AM
10 Second Club

Keep the replies coming guys! I too am planning on a wet sump LS7, as I really don't want to move the battery or the PCM to make room for the tank for the dry sump. I know the LS7 heads might be a better way to go, but I already have an almost new set of big bore AFR 225's that I got for a great price, plus I will be able to re-use my Fast 90 set-up and the new lightwight
Yella Terra roller rockers that I have. As far as my cam selection goes, alot of that is going to depend on what my cylinder head guy recommends. He is the one who spec'd the cam for my current set-up which I'm very pleased with. Once he gets the heads and works them over and flow tests them, then we'll put our heads together and make the final cam choice. I'll try to keep this thread going as I get more of the pieces purchased.

Jimbo
Old 08-16-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I used LS7 block with the 7.0L stamped on it. It is in my 69 SS Camaro vert. In somewhat of a tribute to the heritage of the 69 COPO 427 I wanted an all aluminum 427 block as opposed to the resleeved LS2.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:55 PM
DBN
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jimbo'sZO6
Keep the replies coming guys! I too am planning on a wet sump LS7, as I really don't want to move the battery or the PCM to make room for the tank for the dry sump. I know the LS7 heads might be a better way to go, but I already have an almost new set of big bore AFR 225's that I got for a great price, plus I will be able to re-use my Fast 90 set-up and the new lightwight
Yella Terra roller rockers that I have. As far as my cam selection goes, alot of that is going to depend on what my cylinder head guy recommends. He is the one who spec'd the cam for my current set-up which I'm very pleased with. Once he gets the heads and works them over and flow tests them, then we'll put our heads together and make the final cam choice. I'll try to keep this thread going as I get more of the pieces purchased.

Jimbo
Pete is a great guy and knows what he is doing. His LS6 heads and custom cam were the first that I used when I started in the LS scene.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:43 PM
10 Second Truck Club

I used the LS2 block (Katech) for my 427 with Callies crank, Compstar rods and Mahle pistons. Cam is custom Comp...242/246 642/649 112LSA. Heads are ETP w/2.20" coated ti valves and Jessel 1.8 shaft rockers. Intake is GM LS7 with NW 90mm TB. Headers are Kooks 1-7/8". I hope to have it in and running in about 2 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails Planning an LS7 build soon, opinions and comments welcome-mtr-012.jpg   Planning an LS7 build soon, opinions and comments welcome-motor-002.jpg   Planning an LS7 build soon, opinions and comments welcome-mtr-007.jpg   Planning an LS7 build soon, opinions and comments welcome-mtr-008.jpg  
Old 08-18-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

I would not use a cast GM piston, JE makes really good pistons. I may try Manley pistons in my next motor. I'm looking for pistons with some kind of anti-friction coating on the sides, JE has never been interested in doing that.
I'm planning to build a 415 with a similar cam. My ideal cam for road race would be 246/254 with .610 lift. If you run .650 lift, what rockers are you going to use? That's the big question.

Quick Reply: Planning an LS7 build soon, opinions and comments welcome