Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LME built LSX "440" , 6 Bolt heads and a Kenne Bell 2.8 !!!

Old 09-04-2007, 09:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LME built LSX "440" , 6 Bolt heads and a Kenne Bell 2.8 !!!

I wanted to give a little heads up of a engine that Brian at LME is finishing up very soon.

We are building a 1969 Camaro named "Devious" that will be at the 2007 SEMA show in October this year , it will be in the TWIST Machine booth

Brian has really gone above himself and got us one badass engine for this car .
This is a 440 cube LSX block , ET 6 bolt heads, and we are using a Kenne Bell 2.8 H blower.
Brian has made a completely new lower intake for the Kenne Bell as the Blower was only designed for Cathederal port heads .
The lower intake will be a 1 off custom peice to allow thing engine to really shine.
We could have just went with some standard heads and been done but we want the 6 bolt option as we plan to push this engine to the max on the HP limit.

This engine will be set up for now with 12 lbs of boost , 60 lbs injectors and it uses a custom stainless tank with twin Bosch pumps to supply the fuel needed.

This engine will also be backed by a Bowler Performance tansmission 4L80E built to the hilt. We also added a gear vendors unit to it to give it a 6/8 speed manulamatic mode. This will be set up to split between gears . We have it designed that it will have engine braking in the 6 speed mode
Imagine paddle shifting a 1,000 hp 69 camaro down the streets, through the twisties, or just putting along.

I can Thank Brian enough for setting us up with the right parts the first time and being there for us in a short time crunch .

SEMA is about 7 weeks away .
I will post pics when I can . Thanks
Old 09-04-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by datsbad
I wanted to give a little heads up of a engine that Brian at LME is finishing up very soon.

We are building a 1969 Camaro named "Devious" that will be at the 2007 SEMA show in October this year , it will be in the TWIST Machine booth

This is a 440 cube LSX block , ET 6 bolt heads, and we are using a Kenne Bell 2.8 H blower.
Brian has made a completely new lower intake for the Kenne Bell as the Blower was only designed for Cathederal port heads .
The lower intake will be a 1 off custom peice to allow thing engine to really shine.
We could have just went with some standard heads and been done but we want the 6 bolt option as we plan to push this engine to the max on the HP limit.

This engine will be set up for now with 12 lbs of boost , 60 lbs injectors and it uses a custom stainless tank with twin Bosch pumps to supply the fuel needed.

This engine will also be backed by a Bowler Performance tansmission 4L80E built to the hilt. We also added a gear vendors unit to it to give it a 6/8 speed manulamatic mode. This will be set up to split between gears . We have it designed that it will have engine braking in the 6 speed mode
Imagine paddle shifting a 1,000 hp 69 camaro down the streets, through the twisties, or just putting along.

I can Thank Brian enough for setting us up with the right parts the first time and being there for us in a short time crunch .

How are you doing the programming on the 4L80E? I thought that automatics had a hard time downshifting(engine braking) with heavy loads, without ruining some sort of bearing(slips my mind) in the transmission. Do you program TCM to rev the motor before a downshift, allowing the tranny to slip into the next lowest gear?
Old 09-05-2007, 02:18 AM
10 Second Club

sounds awesome but I'd rather have a 6 speed
Old 09-05-2007, 03:43 AM
TECH Resident

what u aming for in hp-over a 1000hp?

sounds tough
Old 09-05-2007, 05:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! Subscribing...

Can't wait to se some pics!
Old 09-05-2007, 11:26 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you think that blower is going to be able to support that type of power? I think a whipple 3.3L would have been a better option.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very Cool!

Any pics yet ?
Old 09-05-2007, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VERY cool build man. I will be keeping an eye out for this car/booth in October when I'm down there. Should be quite a few LSX blocked vehicles lurking around SEMA this year,,, woooot.

Mike
Old 09-05-2007, 08:44 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Do you think that blower is going to be able to support that type of power? I think a whipple 3.3L would have been a better option.
A 2.8 H blower will produce about 25lbs of boost , maybe more.
We are going to run 12 for now and see how that goes.

I have used 2.3 whipples that have produced 700 hp on little 4.6 cobra engines.
Hell this engine will have that NA !!
Old 09-06-2007, 12:29 AM
FormerVendor

Just because its a 3.3L, does NOT mean it will support more power. There are other variables that are taken into account.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:47 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed, but what's the most you've seen out of the KB? Yours was the highest I'd seen. Not to mention KB rates their blower up to 950+ engine hp. Assuming 15% drive train losses (which is extremely kind assuming the GVOD and automatic) that's around 807.5rwhp minimally. Granted that's bad ***, but do you think you can push it an extra 200rwhp?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Restricted User

Most we've seen out of a stock 4.6L KB with a 2.4L was 25 PSI and 650 RWHP. A 2.8 on a 4.6 should probably bring it up to the 750 RWHP Range. On a larger motor, assuming the blower can hold 25PSI, i bet the car will make 900RWHP with the boost. The only problem is you have to change belts so often on KB cars.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:27 PM
FormerVendor

1000rwhp would be pushing it..
The key would be keeping the IAT's in check at such high boost levels. As well as maintaining boost.

If you could maintain 19-20psi, you should be able to get into the 900's. But I honestly think thats about it.

Here's what my PERSONAL obstacles were at high boost:
1) IAT's
2) Upper RPM boost drop.
3) Tensioner
4) Belt control

I personally feel the ONLY way you would be able to maintain 19-20psi of boost above 4500rpms, is by changing out the intake track. You will consistatly loose between 1.5-2psi of boost over 4500-4800 rpms.

But I honestly feel that will happen with ANY PD blower you run. Unless its HUGE.
Agreed, but what's the most you've seen out of the KB? Yours was the highest I'd seen. Not to mention KB rates their blower up to 950+ engine hp. Assuming 15% drive train losses (which is extremely kind assuming the GVOD and automatic) that's around 807.5rwhp minimally. Granted that's bad ***, but do you think you can push it an extra 200rwhp?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a sweet ride..... Im with ya in the 4L80E.... id much rather have a built one of them over a 6 speed......
Old 09-06-2007, 09:54 PM
9 Second Club

I would expect around 1000 rwhp , but its not the main focus. This is a street car and wont even see a drag strip .

I am just happy to have a badass combo for this car .
And really how many of us have driven a 1000 rwhp car?
I mean really it seems like a number someone has to have but is it needed?

My mustang makes about 550rwhp and goes 9.80s shifting gears, I can imagine another 300 let alone 500 !!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:21 AM
FormerVendor

Hell no its not needed...

But its fun as hell to drive..

Good luck with your build..I will be watching it closely.

I would expect around 1000 rwhp , but its not the main focus. This is a street car and wont even see a drag strip .

I am just happy to have a badass combo for this car .
And really how many of us have driven a 1000 rwhp car?
I mean really it seems like a number someone has to have but is it needed?

My mustang makes about 550rwhp and goes 9.80s shifting gears, I can imagine another 300 let alone 500 !!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
1000rwhp would be pushing it..
The key would be keeping the IAT's in check at such high boost levels. As well as maintaining boost.

If you could maintain 19-20psi, you should be able to get into the 900's. But I honestly think thats about it.

Here's what my PERSONAL obstacles were at high boost:
1) IAT's
2) Upper RPM boost drop.
3) Tensioner
4) Belt control

I personally feel the ONLY way you would be able to maintain 19-20psi of boost above 4500rpms, is by changing out the intake track. You will consistatly loose between 1.5-2psi of boost otver 4500-4800 rpms.

But I honestly feel that will happen with ANY PD blower you run. Unless its HUGE.

why the boost drop between 4500 and 4800rpm? Wouldn't have anything to do with the VE of the engine at that range.

I have a couple of 402" LS engines with 3.3l Whipples on them. He won't see that boost on those inches without running past compressor efficiency for all the reasons you came accross.

Needs a 5l PD.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

With the huge 6 bolt heads, and 440ci I doubt you will ever get past 12-15psi.
The blower will be moving more air at 15psi on the bigger engine than it
would on a DOHC 4.6L at 25psi.
You will max out the efficiency of the blower which I think is only 1000hp
capable at max.
I think it woud take the 3.3L to get 1000+hp if I remember the efficiency
maps correctly.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:27 AM
FormerVendor

We found that beginning right at 4500-4800 rpms, it seemed like the intake ran out of steam. We were pulling between 4-5" of vacuum right behind the TB. It CONSISTANTLY dropped boost, regardless of how much/little boost we ran.

I dont think the S/C will have an issue keeping up with the power. But I do think that if you run the intake thats on the C5 (or equivelent) you will hurt your upper RPM power.

Been there, done that.. LOL
Originally Posted by HOWQUICK
why the boost drop between 4500 and 4800rpm? Wouldn't have anything to do with the VE of the engine at that range.

I have a couple of 402" LS engines with 3.3l Whipples on them. He won't see that boost on those inches without running past compressor efficiency for all the reasons you came accross.

Needs a 5l PD.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
With the huge 6 bolt heads, and 440ci I doubt you will ever get past 12-15psi.
The blower will be moving more air at 15psi on the bigger engine than it
would on a DOHC 4.6L at 25psi.
You will max out the efficiency of the blower which I think is only 1000hp
capable at max.
I think it woud take the 3.3L to get 1000+hp if I remember the efficiency
maps correctly.
we went to 800rwhp with ETP 245cc Cathederals @14psi with 3.3 Whipple at 14.5krpm compressor speed on 402".

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
We found that beginning right at 4500-4800 rpms, it seemed like the intake ran out of steam. We were pulling between 4-5" of vacuum right behind the TB. It CONSISTANTLY dropped boost, regardless of how much/little boost we ran.

I dont think the S/C will have an issue keeping up with the power. But I do think that if you run the intake thats on the C5 (or equivelent) you will hurt your upper RPM power.

Been there, done that.. LOL
ditto.

Typically we see boost fall where the engine has best volume efficiency, as to be expected with PD, and then increase as the engine stops wanting to move air unless the compressor is too small and boost continues to fall.

On the 511" Top Alky engines with 6.98L PSI driven at 108% over crank speed we see the engine stop moving air at 9000+ rpm and the boost increase exponentially from this point.

Valcuum at the TB before the rotor? What size TB did you have? Or are you referring to the plumbing from the TB to the SC when you say intake?

Last edited by HOWQUICK; 09-08-2007 at 01:10 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LME built LSX "440" , 6 Bolt heads and a Kenne Bell 2.8 !!!