Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

W2W 427 Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default W2W 427 Pictures

Well, today I received some pictures from the guys over at W2W on my 427 Turbo Motor. As you guys know, this is getting ready for the APS Z06 kit which is to be released in a few days time. Over the course of time a lot of the parts were changed from the original set up that I stated here on the LS1Tech Forum a while back. The Specs are as followed

LS7 Block
Darton Sleeves
Howard Rods
Speed Pro Rings
Callies Crank
ATI Dampener
Diamond Pistons (8.5:1)

Now I've spoken to Peter from APS Engineering and he has seen these photos. We discussed my compression ratio which he does not suggest. He believes "its a silly comp. ratio", "The lower compression strategy is very outdated", "and thats its a shame".

Well I'd like to hear what you people think about my set up? Just keep in mind that my car is a Cali car so I do have low octane out here and this is a street car which will have a very, very, tame cam.

Open to opinions and suggestions.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT TO BASH PETER, HIS OPINIONS, AND APS AS A COMPANY!!!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Why does this have Darton sleeves ? Is that factory , or is this more cubic inches ?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

I was worried about the stock sleeves under boost since many have said the LS7 sleeve was to thin and didn't like boost. Now Kurt told me the stock sleeve would be fine but when i mentioned the stronger sleeve he said it wouldnt hurt the motor. It was a very expensive insurance policy but i choose to do it.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would go with around 9.1 compression. I think you will be leaving a good bit of power on the table at 8.5. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the compression question goes. The lower the compression ratio, the more boost you will be able to run safely. Having said that, a 8.5 motor vs a 10 to 1 motor, 10psi you will have more power on the 10-1 motor. I guess it all boils down to how much power you want out of it. If you want to shoot for ~800 I would go with ~9.5 to 1 CR. If you want to shoot for 4 digits leave it where it is at. I am not saying you can't make 4 didgits on a higher CR, it is just a little safer in my opinion on the lower number.

I may be way off, but at this time those are my opinions...
Old 09-14-2007, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Either way you can make great power, but it depends on how large of turbo's your going with. I am not an FI expert by any means but lower octane cali gas is going to def be your limiting factory, so the lower comp ratio should help you out and you can always add more boost if needed to get to the same power goals as long as your turbos arent maxed out. If you had higher octane fuel available then of course the higher the comp ration the better (to a certain extent), but its not like the 8.5:1 ratio you have now is going to be a dog. Nice build though byt he way and keep us updated!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

I'm not looking for exact prices, but for the money spent on this LS7 block, would a Warhawk block be within range?

--JMarsa
Old 09-14-2007, 08:03 AM
9 Second Club

It will come down to your ultimate goals, power with pump gas or race gas?

race gas= raise the CR to 9.0 or higher.
Pump gas= leave it as is.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:04 AM
Teching In

1.) The lower the CR the more boost you will be able to run for a given octane.

2.) Too low of a CR the harder it will be to pass emissions testing.

3.) Slightly higher CR will spool the turbo faster.

When facturing out what you think you want for the CR there are more vaiables to look at as well. IE. camshaft duration, turbo size/AR ratio, head clamping force, etc.

Here's a question... Knowing that you will be able to run more boost for a given octane with the lower CR, Do you have the head clamping force to hold it in? If not and you have to run lower boost to be safe, you may want to look at a slightly higher CR for its benefits.

I recently had a 7.8:1 turbo motor that made very good HP/TQ & ran very well at the track with 93-octane only!!

K.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

Living in California and deciding to do a turbo set-up, I would have given Banks Power a call. He is one of the best in the biz when it comes to Cali regs and turbocharging. I'm not saying others don't know this game, but he has obtained world record after record. I have seen his facilities personally and met him and his staff. His engineering group is enormous and well funded.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Vindication
I was worried about the stock sleeves under boost since many have said the LS7 sleeve was to thin and didn't like boost. Now Kurt told me the stock sleeve would be fine but when i mentioned the stronger sleeve he said it wouldnt hurt the motor. It was a very expensive insurance policy but i choose to do it.
Good God. Not to get off topic, but was the Warhawk block not an option? I hope you didn't spend more money sleeving it than it would have cost just to upgrade the block.

APS Vs. W2W... Gah... I can see why you're between a rock and a hard place. APS made the kit so they have to know their ****, but W2W is the best out there.

Good luck.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Veteran

By the way, I think you would have gotten a lot more replies in the FI section.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

The Warhawk block was not a option at the time I ordered everything. I delayed the build of the motor for a long time since the people over at APS kept pushing back the Z06 kit.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tcr98taws6
Living in California and deciding to do a turbo set-up, I would have given Banks Power a call. He is one of the best in the biz when it comes to Cali regs and turbocharging. I'm not saying others don't know this game, but he has obtained world record after record. I have seen his facilities personally and met him and his staff. His engineering group is enormous and well funded.
I'm not questioning who is building my car. I'm beyond happy with W2W and if I ever build another car W2W will build that also. I'm just asking about the compression ratio on my motor and asking opinions about it.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Either way you can make great power, but it depends on how large of turbo's your going with. I am not an FI expert by any means but lower octane cali gas is going to def be your limiting factory, so the lower comp ratio should help you out and you can always add more boost if needed to get to the same power goals as long as your turbos arent maxed out. If you had higher octane fuel available then of course the higher the comp ration the better (to a certain extent), but its not like the 8.5:1 ratio you have now is going to be a dog. Nice build though byt he way and keep us updated!
The turbos are going to be Garrett GT3582Rs
Old 09-15-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

The choice of compression ratio highly depends on how much boost you honestly plan to run. Who made the choice on the compression ratio?
Old 09-15-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

$2300 or more for the ls7 block plus $800 in sleevs and another $1000 or so in labor to install them.

Yeah warhawk was a bargian. I here tell World and W2W don;t get along.

Originally Posted by jmarsa
I'm not looking for exact prices, but for the money spent on this LS7 block, would a Warhawk block be within range?

--JMarsa
Old 09-15-2007, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

I really don't know if there is issues between W2W and World.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zippy
The choice of compression ratio highly depends on how much boost you honestly plan to run. Who made the choice on the compression ratio?
I had a choice between 8.5:1 and 9:1. I went with the safer route due to the gas in California.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

getting back to topic-i like the comp ratio-and it will be okay-

pics look good-

whta heads and inlet u using-auto or manual any more details and pics would be good-

hope all goes well-

Quick Reply: W2W 427 Pictures