Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

[C6 Z06] Cam + Headers installed -- question about coolant temps

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default [C6 Z06] Cam + Headers installed -- question about coolant temps

Hey All,

I recently had a cam, headers, ported intake and tune done to my Z. Since then I have had a real heat issue both from the exhaust and the car running hotter. My question is simple: at idle after running on the highway is 221/223 normal? I have a cooler tstat in there and the fans programmed to come on earlier. On the highway the car is nice and cool at 180 - 190, but the minute I slow down and air stops coming in the car heats right back up! Even on a nice cool NY Fall night! It hasn't gotten hotter then 221/223, but still is that way too hot? At idle should the car be running in the low 200s? AFR is pretty consistent with 14.5 all around, but I am concered about this heat.

Also, my cats were getting so hot that they melted my rear O2s! I ended up putting a ceramic tunnelplate on the car and heat reflective tape all over the bottom of the car AND dumping the cats in favor of straight pipes. Now the cabin stays considerably cooler, but the engine temp is still up there when idling (car never overheats).

Thoughts?

-N
Old 09-29-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

How do you know the AFR is 14.5 - do you have a wideband O2?

The only time I've had cats heat-up is when fuel was too rich - 10ish. Are you sure you don't have an exhaust leak ahead of the O2 sensors? That would lead PCM to fatten it up at idle.

Are you sure the fans are on at idle?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bink
How do you know the AFR is 14.5 - do you have a wideband O2?
Yes. My LS1Tech vendor drove the car with a wideband and was the AFR was ride on the button.

The only time I've had cats heat-up is when fuel was too rich - 10ish. Are you sure you don't have an exhaust leak ahead of the O2 sensors? That would lead PCM to fatten it up at idle.
I think hot cats would be a lean condition, no? In either case since AFR was right on the button, it couldn't be the case. Finally, the cats are off the car now, however, the car is still heating up at idle. As for the cats and that issue, I will let the vendor and mnfr explain. Just remember the cats on C6 Z06s sit considerably forward then C5s.

Are you sure the fans are on at idle?
The car holds temp at 219-223 at idle, so I assume the fans are on. My main question that I can't seem to get a hold of is this: what should a C6 Z06 have as indicated coolant temp at idle? Am I within the parameters of ok? This may not even be a problem.

Thanks,

-N
Old 09-30-2007, 08:13 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a 427 in an F-Body and I was seeing very similar temps.I was worried enough to the point where I thought I should do something about it.It was recommened to me to put a oil cooler on and go with a bigger radiator.It worked out great.I never see temps above 180 while cruising.Now I see you have a Z06 so you should have a oil cooler built in, not?Maybe it's time for a bigger radiator?When you start pushing the type of horsepower we have the temps are bound to go up.Traver
Old 09-30-2007, 08:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Oh,one more thing..........hot cats are a sign of a rich condition or too much fuel added to the mix.Maybe your tune is off?Traver

Quick Reply: [C6 Z06] Cam + Headers installed -- question about coolant temps